• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

David Poisson -- RIP

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
French racer David Poisson died today after a training crash in Nakiska, Canada . He won the bronze in the 2013 Worlds DH. 35 years old. So sad.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just saw this come up on my AP News feed. :(
PARIS (AP) — The French skiing federation says downhiller David Poisson has died following a training crash in Canada.

The 35-year-old Poisson, who won a bronze medal in the downhill at the 2013 world championships, died on Friday. He was training in the Canadian resort of Nakiska, preparing for World Cup races in North America.

The French federation did not elaborate.
David+Poisson+Men+Downhill+Alpine+FIS+Ski+MKYzrWZea6dl.jpg

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Sad stuff... FIS needs to stop meddling with technical events--making up reasons for equipment and rule changes and wake up and see the real, life threatening, dangers that speed events present to athletes. Every season there are several athletes who are killed, paralyzed or have other potentially life threatening or altering injuries. Sure it is a dangerous sport, but I can't see this as acceptable risk.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I hope that people will just offer condolences and well wishes to family and friends. In due time we may have some more details. Nakiska is not open to the public yet. It's essentially been chartered by the French, and I presume a couple of other teams.

It's a dangerous sport, and unfortunately there are tragic accidents, and deaths that take place. At many levels of the sport. I've been close to it. Too close. When something like this takes place it triggers many emotions with a lot of people.

There are protocols to be followed to train as safely as possible, and I presume they were all in place. Bad accidents can happen.

Awful. Sad. RIP.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I hope that people will just offer condolences and well wishes to family and friends

I agree. We don't know any details at this point. No need to make assumptions about the things that may have caused this.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@François Pugh thank for sharing that post, however I've seen some sensationalism in some posts on Unofficial over the past months with an intent to stir things up as opposed to stating facts. I will give some credence to the post because it seems plausible, but I'm eagerly awaiting the Official report.

Sponsor

Staff online