• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Chili, beans or no beans?

Beans or no beans?

• No beans!

• Yes beans!

Results are only viewable after voting.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't underestimate the power of Cheez-Whiz..... :ogbiggrin:
View attachment 158367
Especially in this application:

1643941343268.png

Don't get me wrong... I like real cheeses too. But there's a place for junk cheese too!

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snow is coming down pretty good in Texas right now, good time to cook a batch of chili. Texans love to argue about beans or no beans in your chili, I just wonder is this a Texas debate or nation or even global debate? No beans for me in my chili.
Chile con carne with beans is an oxymoron. There is no such thing, just as there is no such thing as a hot fudge sundae with bananas, strawberries and pineapple. The moment beans hit the pot, whatever you're cooking has turned into something else; that something else might be very good to eat, but it's not chili. Most of what is passed off as chili in the US is actually a delicately seasoned beef stew, similar to Elizabeth Taylor's favorite, and it has very little (if any) chile picante in it. You can't have "chiles with meat" if you don't really use any chiles.

I like both Elizabeth Taylor and her favorite stew very much, but neither of them are chili.

None of what I've said here is mere opinion, it is objective fact.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Beans, what the hell are beans? I was stationed in Texas for three years, beans in chili are sacrilegious. A good bowl of red is a good meat dish.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The moment beans hit the pot, whatever you're cooking has turned into something else; that something else might be very good to eat, but it's not chili.

Beans, what the hell are beans? I was stationed in Texas for three years, beans in chili are sacrilegious. A good bowl of red is a good meat dish.

Finally, we are approaching helmet -- perhaps even edge bevel -- thread levels! ;)

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just made chili this week. It has ground beef, cranberry beans (cooked from dry), kidney beans (canned), and hominy. It’s delicious.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes beans, but they are a mix in with the finished chili, not cooked with the chili.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just made chili this week. It has ground beef, cranberry beans (cooked from dry), kidney beans (canned), and hominy. It’s delicious.

Yum!

If you like hominy, you gotta try making posole (if you haven't already).

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yum!

If you like hominy, you gotta try making posole (if you haven't already).

I haven’t made it but since I went high school and college in New Mexico I’ve eaten a lot of it. I prefer red posole and still dream of the bowls I had at a place I worked in college.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally, we are approaching helmet -- perhaps even edge bevel -- thread levels! ;)
Oh, the helmet and edge bevel discussions got nothin' on chili arguments!

For my part I've always wanted to make a SOB stew, but I can't find marguts to save my life.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In threads like this, and Tex's threads, posters should be required to include their BMI.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
..sour cream

Where there's sour cream, there's going to be beets.

Thread Drift: Who has family members who like do fancify veggies to try to make them special? Like fancy toys that turn zucchini into fusili? Or cauliflower mashed potatoes? Or squash spaghetti??? Can we just have normal veggies please??!? Veggies are not pasta!!!! You're not fooling anyone!!!! :roflmao:

Heh. Set them the task of making okra edible. That will teach them.

In threads like this, and Tex's threads, posters should be required to include their BMI.

OK, but if someone posts 34.7 does that give them more or less win in threads like this?

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Chile con carne with beans is an oxymoron. There is no such thing, just as there is no such thing as a hot fudge sundae with bananas, strawberries and pineapple. The moment beans hit the pot, whatever you're cooking has turned into something else; that something else might be very good to eat, but it's not chili. Most of what is passed off as chili in the US is actually a delicately seasoned beef stew, similar to Elizabeth Taylor's favorite, and it has very little (if any) chile picante in it. You can't have "chiles with meat" if you don't really use any chiles.

I like both Elizabeth Taylor and her favorite stew very much, but neither of them are chili.

We can assume your authority given your username. But given your location of Michigan, some doubts may arise. :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online