• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Changed and/or Discontinued Skis ... End of Season Bargains?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
IMHO, the new Bonafide is worth the wait. The current monster 88 is a very good ski.

yeah, there's still some leftover 177's lurking here and there. The new is different but the current is still a great ski. STP was blowing them out earlier in the winter for $329 shipped. I doubt you will find that deal now though.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Blizzard Latigo - Buy now!

What's at the "bullseye" in terms of perfect target audience and conditions/use for this ski?

still say the Pinnacle 88 is one of the most overlooked ski's that would be a great choice for a lot of skiers.

What do you think are the pros and cons of this ski and where do you think it fits in an Eastern quiver? As a more of a middleweight (165-170lbs.), skis like this intrigue me.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@MattD i have it reviewed in my 2018's but its just a great ski that is easier and less demanding than a Head monster 88 or similar in class. it hooks up nicely on the groomed, was good in bumps and leftovers (see 2017 reviews) but is more for easier going skiers or lighter weights. could certainly work on EC

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
What's at the "bullseye" in terms of perfect target audience and conditions/use for this ski?

What do you think are the pros and cons of this ski and where do you think it fits in an Eastern quiver? As a more of a middleweight (165-170lbs.), skis like this intrigue me.

Matt... Exp 84 hD

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Matt... Exp 84 hD
Thanks for the suggestion. I demo'd the 2016 version and found it to be a fun frontside ski, but almost felt like it "oversteered" a bit and I wasn't sure I would have fully trusted it when pushing hard. What are the "feel" and performance differences with the 2017 new construction?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Latigo is 78mm under foot, with the flipcore construction. It is a great carving ski with some of the playfulness and pop of an off piste ski. They are keeping the women's version in the line up, (Black Pearl 78) but discontinuing the Latigo.
Amazing ski loved by those who tried it, but not enough people tried it.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Thanks for the suggestion. I demo'd the 2016 version and found it to be a fun frontside ski, but almost felt like it "oversteered" a bit and I wasn't sure I would have fully trusted it when pushing hard. What are the "feel" and performance differences with the 2017 new construction?
16-17 and 17-18 are the same. Only the topsheet changes. The 15-16 is a different and less confident creature... not nearly as good on firm snow.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
16-17 and 17-18 are the same. Only the topsheet changes. The 15-16 is a different and less confident creature... not nearly as good on firm snow.
I demo'd '15-'16. I knew the construction had changed for '16-'17. Sounds like that might address the issue I had with not really trusting it when I pushed hard. Does it always want to be on edge, or can it feather/pivot/brush/slip on demand as well?

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I found the latigo kind of pointless.... It did nothing better(for a high expert edge to edge skier) than my Blizzard X powers a ski that I feel is superior to the new quattros and their really round soft flex.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Armada:
Victa/Invictus: Buy Now
Trace/Tracer: Wait

Atomic:
Redsters: Wait
Vantage X: Buy Now
Vantage: Buy Now
Backlands: Buy Now

Blizzard:
Black Pearl Series (78/88/98): Wait
Latigo: Buy Now
Brahma/Bonafide: Wait
Sheeva/Rustler: Wait

Dynastar:
Legend: Wait

Fischer:
Curv: Wait
Ranger: Buy Now
Buy Now

Head:
SuperShape: Buy Now
Intense: Buy Now
Monster: Buy Now
Kore: Wait

Kastle:
RX: Wait
LX: Wait
FX: Buy Now
MX: Buy Now
BMX: Buy Now

K2:
Charger Collection: Buy Now
iKonic: Wait
Luv Collection: Buy Now
Pinnacle Collection: Wait (except 88, carryover)

Line:
Supernatural: Buy Now
Sick Day: Wait

Rossignol:
Temptation/Experience: Buy Now
7 Series (Sky/Soul/Super): Wait

Stockli:
Laser: Buy Now
Stormrider: Buy Now

Volkl:
RTM: Wait
Yumi: Buy Now
Kendo/Kenja: Buy Now
Mantra: Buy Now

I will add more as needed to get filled in.
Great stuff! Thanks for taking the time to put together this list!
I take it you are a bigger fan of the current Monster series than the 2018 modification?
Also, do you have any time in on the Vantage X 83 CTI or the X 80 CTI? Love to hear impressions.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great stuff! Thanks for taking the time to put together this list!
I take it you are a bigger fan of the current Monster series than the 2018 modification?

This is how threads like this can get misconstrued, I really like what Head did to the next Monster, I think it is a better ski but if you can get a current Monster for 40-50% off, it is a steal and again while I AM a big fan of the new incarnation. I cannot say it is $300-400 better than the current though.

Also, do you have any time in on the Vantage X 83 CTI or the X 80 CTI? Love to hear impressions.

I did and these are mostly carry over with slight modifications and I still have these as some of my best values for this and next year.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
I really like what Head did to the next Monster, I think it is a better ski but if you can get a current Monster for 40-50% off, it is a steal and again while I AM a big fan of the new incarnation. I cannot say it is $300-400 better than the current though.

Perfect clarification! That's exactly the kind of "trade off" information I'm looking for. Thanks.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I demo'd '15-'16. I knew the construction had changed for '16-'17. Sounds like that might address the issue I had with not really trusting it when I pushed hard. Does it always want to be on edge, or can it feather/pivot/brush/slip on demand as well?

Both the E-84 and 88 would make great teaching/training/exam skis which by definition need to be capable of everything mentioned above. The 15-16 Experience 84 and 88 were pretty different from each other and neither very good skis (not torsionally stiff enough, and in the case of the 88, a very weird almost 'hinge' in the flex about 10" in front of the binding toe piece. The old 84 had performance limitations across the board compared to the new. The HD's have a slightly less flared tip than the earlier models (less hooky off piste), and the added torsional rigidity makes for much better edge grip. The current 84/88 now share the same layup and construction with the 84 having a bit more sidecut if I recall correctly.

I skied the 84 HD for the first time last month at an industry demo in wildly variable conditions and thought they were a blast! Much better than similar offerings from many other manufactures. Quick, responsive, fun, tracked very well though boot top crud, 6" of wind effected new snow on top of a firm base, and very confident on weird skier compacted non-isothermic grabby hard pan. Personally, I liked the 84 better than the 88. FWIW, I'm about 205#, PSIA L3, combo of finesse and power, 5'11"... Demoed the 178. Most of my ski days are on a 184 Head Monster 88 and 180 iSpeed Pro.

New Monster 88... It will be a better ski for the majority of skiers at 10% softer. I don't know if I buy the 'more tip and tail rise" line. It appears to a small alteration at best. I love the current version and will eventually ski the new one. By the end of next season when my current ones are shot, the new one will feel like a vast improvement. ogsmile

Last edited:
TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Both the E-84 and 88 would make great teaching/training/exam skis which by definition need to be capable of everything mentioned above. The 15-16 Experience 84 and 88 were pretty different from each other and neither very good skis (not torsionally stiff enough, and in the case of the 88, a very weird almost 'hinge' in the flex about 10" in front of the binding toe piece. The old 84 had performance limitations across the board compared to the new. The HD's have a slightly less flared tip than the earlier models (less hooky off piste), and the added torsional rigidity makes for much better edge grip. The current 84/88 now share the same layup and construction with the 84 having a bit more sidecut if I recall correctly.

I skied the 84 HD for the first time last month at an industry demo in wildly variable conditions and thought they were a blast! Much better than similar offerings from many other manufactures. Quick, responsive, fun, tracked very well though boot top crud, 6" of wind effected new snow on top of a firm base, and very confident on weird skier compacted non-isothermic grabby hard pan. Personally, I liked the 84 better than the 88. FWIW, I'm about 205#, PSIA L3, combo of finesse and power, 5'11"... Demoed the 178. Most of my ski days are on a 184 Head Monster 88 and 180 iSpeed Pro.

Great info! Thanks! I've also demo'd both the Monster 83 and 88, so have a point of reference for those. How would you compare "feel" and performance of the E84HD to the Monster 83/88?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
The Rossis feel lighter underfoot, less 'powerful', and quicker as they have a shorter turn radius than the Heads. The Heads (with a good tune) have amazing edge grip, are damper feeling, destroy crud and cut up, and like to go fast, but are very capable of slowing down. If you ever see a L3 ski exam locally, you'll see that both the Rossi E-88 and Monster 88 are pretty common choices as both, while 'different' are very capable across a range of conditions when asked to perform in many different ways. Both are masters of none (well, the edge grip on the Monster is masterful) but excellent jack of all trade skis. There are a ton of Soul 7 skiers who would enjoy skiing a whole lot more if they'd spring for an E84 or 88 and expand their quiver during sale season.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Rossis feel lighter underfoot, less 'powerful', and quicker as they have a shorter turn radius than the Heads. The Heads (with a good tune) have amazing edge grip, are damper feeling, destroy crud and cut up, and like to go fast, but are very capable of slowing down. If you ever see a L3 ski exam locally, you'll see that both the Rossi E-88 and Monster 88 are pretty common choices as both, while 'different' are very capable across a range of conditions when asked to perform in many different ways. Both are masters of none (well, the edge grip on the Monster is masterful) but excellent jack of all trade skis. There are a ton of Soul 7 skiers who would enjoy skiing a whole lot more if they'd spring for an E84 or 88 and expand their quiver during sale season.

How much of a difference did you find between the E84 and E88? One would imagine that they feel very similar, considering the 4mm underfoot difference. Would you recommend one over the other?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How much of a difference did you find between the E84 and E88? One would imagine that they feel very similar, considering the 4mm underfoot difference. Would you recommend one over the other?
Actually pretty darn different skis. The 84 has much more rise at the extemitie and is a bit more playful along with being quicker edge to edge. The 88 is a stronger ski with a more GS feel.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

New Monster 88... It will be a better ski for the majority of skiers at 10% softer. I don't know if I buy the 'more tip and tail rise" line. It appears to a small alteration at best. I love the current version and will eventually ski the new one. By the end of next season when my current ones are shot, the new one will feel like a vast improvement. ogsmile
The E84s were VERY popular at the demo here at Snowbasin last weekend. As in, at least 4 instructors are now getting a pair because they liked them SO much. My man friend has the E88s (this year's) and is replacing them with the 84s because he likes them that much better. He's also an L3 and is similar stats as you are. Funny, he wouldn't buy this year's E84s even though they are the same. I found this amusing. He only skis his skis for one season, except for his powder skis.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I think it's because the original E-84 was just not a very good ski for stronger skiers. The legacy of diminished expectations.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Latigo is 78mm under foot, with the flipcore construction. It is a great carving ski with some of the playfulness and pop of an off piste ski. They are keeping the women's version in the line up, (Black Pearl 78) but discontinuing the Latigo.
Amazing ski loved by those who tried it, but not enough people tried it.

Totally agree. Perfect narrower half of New England 2-ski quiver.

Sponsor