• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
just saw a sign on the tower at mount snow, having the bar down is VT law (a political divergence can be made with this one).

Most people are good about bringing the bar down once everyone is settled in. And yes, it annoying the bar comes down after clearing the deck before you get settled but I think its nerves or the person has things on their mind. When I want the bar down, its because I'm riding with a group of kids and they think it cool to have the bar up. And some times I just want it down because I want to rest my legs if it has a rest bar.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here in Ontario, probably most of Canada, you get your ticket pulled if you don't put the bar down by the first tower and put it up after the last tower. It's down EVERY time. Having said that..that's not the case in many places, especially out west in the States. So don't be too hard on people who put it down without warning..may just be their experience where they're from.
Heck, in the states, there are many resorts that have lifts that don't have a bar.

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
I nearly always put the bar down, I am just normally the first person to ask to put it down. Everyone puts the bar down here in Australia, there's no barless chairs or people who don't put them down. Those who keep it up normally get yelled at by the liftie.

I personally think it's dumb to not put the bar down, it's protecting your life regardless if you have ridden the chair 'millions' of times or just once. It doesn't matter, it's just common safety and courtesy to put the bar down if there's one.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As an Easterner, I'm used to the bar down, so I prefer it that way. I'll always ask "all OK" or something along those lines. At the home hill a couple of weeks ago, we had a clown from the singles line SLAM the bar down when the chair had moved about a foot. The rest of us on the chair including my mild mannered wife and a friend yelled at the guy "YOU CAN'T DO THAT!" Not sure if it made an impression, but I hope so.

SkiBam

Putting on skis
Skier
At Tremblant, the bar ALWAYS comes down. I think most people are courteous about it, and I've never had someone bring it down too fast.

I was alone on a long lift one day and (I'm short) couldn't get the bar down. Now, I'm not sure it's inherently dangerous to not have the bar down, but I was most uncomfortable. Held on to the back of the chair and gazed at the sky all the way up. Irrational, I know, but without the bar I somehow get the feeling I might just jump off!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
At 6 foot 7 the only reason I wear a helmet is for the fact that few people yell “ bar down” before actually pulling it down. I have more dings from that than other source. I have no problem putting the bar down but a a heads up is greatly appreciated.

I've skied with someone your size and we left the bar up unless others on the lift wanted it down. When the bars come with a footrest people your size have to either bend their knees back so the boots rest under the footrest or have their thighs smashed under the lap bar. I prefer the bar down as my fear if heights increased with age. I'm still OK to just squelch that fear if the equipment really is overly cumbersome and painful to others..

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In VT it's the law, in other NE US areas it's a ski area rule with grounds for pulling a ticket.

One way to communicate a readiness to lower the bar nonverbally is to lower the bar a little and stop ( say 6-8 inches or 1 foot ) then look around and see that the others on the chair are being observant. I use that approach when I'm the one that is pulling the bar down, but when skiing out east, I mostly let others pull the bar, as I'm in not hurry and don't want to clobber anyone.

When skiing out west, I do the - when in Rome - thing.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
In VT it's the law, in other NE US areas it's a ski area rule with grounds for pulling a ticket.

One way to communicate a readiness to lower the bar nonverbally is to lower the bar a little and stop ( say 6-8 inches or 1 foot ) then look around and see that the others on the chair are being observant. I use that approach when I'm the one that is pulling the bar down, but when skiing out east, I mostly let others pull the bar, as I'm in not hurry and don't want to clobber anyone.

When skiing out west, I do the - when in Rome - thing.

That's what I do.. I grab hold of it, say "BAR DOWN" but make eye contact with everyone else on the lift before pulling it down. I'll stop if it looks like someone's still leaning forward off the backrest, trying to sit on their poles, or whatever..

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have seen three people fall from lift chairs over the years and all three had the bar down. One adult was twisted out of the chair when his ski contacted the tower and the others two were wiggling kids. Don't assume the bar will stop a fall. The Powder Seeker (new six pack at Big Sky) is a shoulder pincher if you are on the ends, a head knocker and the foot rests are so short as to be useless for an adult of 6 feet tall, but it would be really hard to fall out of the chair with the bar down.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Heck, in the states, there are many resorts that have lifts that don't have a bar.
If you have a list I would love to see the ones that do not have bars on their chairs. It would help eliminate resorts when making travel plans.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Even if it's the law a warning should be given. And it should be loud enough to hear and happen BEFORE the bar comes down, not while it's happening. Give everyone a chance to get situated. I've been hit in the head several times this year. Those are the only dents in my helmet.

One other thing to keep in mind is some bars have vertical bits in the middle that sometimes come in contact with other bits. I'd like to make sure the bits don't come in contact.

Oh, and let us know when it's coming up too. No helmet on your chin.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I usually won't put the bar down. I have long legs and rarely fit rests anyway. My butt is in the back of the seat so I'm not too worried about falling out. There is on lift @ Squaw that I wanted the bar down, think it was Red Dog or something - over by that hotel - it was pretty high.

That said, I don't care if you want it down - doesn't bother me - but good Lord - can you at least say something before it slams down? Also, can we have at least 15 seconds to get situated. Last weekend that dang thing was coming down before even left the lifthouse, multiple times.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What's even worse than the top of the bar hitting your head is the drop handles hitting your crotch if you happen to be sitting in the wrong spot when there are those vertical handles/dividers.

Produkte-4CLF_Riedkopf2-Doppelmayr_01.jpg

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Here in Ontario, probably most of Canada, you get your ticket pulled if you don't put the bar down by the first tower and put it up after the last tower. It's down EVERY time. Having said that..that's not the case in many places, especially out west in the States. So don't be too hard on people who put it down without warning..may just be their experience where they're from.

This doesn't happen in Alberta or BC

Sponsor

Staff online