• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
What is the community's thoughts about lowering the bar when riding the chairlift? Shouldn't you first warn/ask other riders on the chair before lowering the bar (especially when riding a 6-pack)?

When riding a chair with strangers, I sometimes forget to look out for someone lowering the bar and get banged in the head. Granted I'm thankfully wearing a helmet but it is annoying when it happens. I take some responsibility for assuming other riders want the bar up or not looking out for it enough. However, I still think it is common to courtesy that it should be mentioned before lowering, or the person lowering it to have enough caution not to smack someone with it. Most of the time it seems it is inexperienced skiers that lower the bar without mentioning anything. Regardless, would like to sanity check with the pugski community the consensus on chairlift etiquette on this issue (and others that people want to bring up in this thread).

Thanks.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Common courtesy yes of course. One thing you can do... assuming you're not taller than average, is to be sure you lean back all the way to the backrest and keep your head up over your shoulders when the chair is leaving the platform. It's when you're leaning forward looking down or off to the side or if you're on the end that the bar tends to whack your head. If you're tall you definitely will have to duck as it comes down. Otherwise you should be OK unless you're taller than average.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Here in Ontario, probably most of Canada, you get your ticket pulled if you don't put the bar down by the first tower and put it up after the last tower. It's down EVERY time. Having said that..that's not the case in many places, especially out west in the States. So don't be too hard on people who put it down without warning..may just be their experience where they're from.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
These days, many people lower the bar. So if I'm on a 6 pack of people I don't know, I ASSUME they WILL bring the bar down. It's just a matter of which exact moment. Once past the 1st tower, then I can relax knowing it's unlikely the bar will come down.

I've never been smack on the helmet. But I've caught it on my shoulder when I'm sitting at the edge.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes, please ask/inform before lowering the bar. I'd say less than 50% of the time the bar gets lowered when I'm on the chairlift, so yeah, its nice to know when its coming down.

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
1. Lowering the bar is standard around here (New England) so every one assumes it's coming down.
2. It is considerate to give a warning anyway.
3. Sometimes in Utah I get the sense I'm crushing someone's buzz by politely asking to lower the bar. Some of us get intense acrophobia when the lift stops with the bar up. Please be considerate of that.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At 6 foot 7 the only reason I wear a helmet is for the fact that few people yell “ bar down” before actually pulling it down. I have more dings from that than other source. I have no problem putting the bar down but a a heads up is greatly appreciated.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I always ask, “is it ok to put the bar down?” But not everyone hears me. Some have earbuds in; some are talking to their neighbor, some can’t hear over the wind if It’s high enough. I think everyone should assume the bar is coming down and be ready for it immediately after loading. Not taking a safety precaution is foolish- even if you do wear a helmet!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I will always put the bar down and give a call out "Coming Down" and make sure it comes down slowly. I can not imagine not wanting it down after reading about so many chair lift accidents.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I don't like it when people pull the bar down without warning, before I've had the chance to put my poles where they won't interfere with bringing the bar down. When my granddaughter is with me, I always announce that the bar is coming down, and then I give everyone the opportunity to get themselves situated so their stuff doesn't interfere with the bar.

The only time I ever get hit on the head by the bar is when I'm wearing a helmet.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
I mostly don’t unless it is very windy (which is funny because I hate heights) but always acquiesce to the tourist next to me who wants it down.
Most people ask but as stated above if the people I’m riding with seem ‘out of town’ then I expect it.

And I LOVE the out-of-towners so please don’t think I’m bashing anyone.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The bigger issue I see with the "bar down" comment is when its happening while still in the noise of the loading area.
This is fine if the person proclaiming "bar down" has a voice that can be heard, but all too often this is not the case.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
if you don't put the bar down by the first tower and put it up after the last tower.

In my experience , if the bar isn't down as you're leaving the loading area, or if its up before the 'lift bar' sign at the top, you'll be hearing about it on the loudspeaker!!
So, everyone knows the bar is coming down, but most everyone also calls 'BAR' when they lower it. We've all been hit on the helmet (thats why we wear them - getting hit by the bar!)

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
In my experience , if the bar isn't down as you're leaving the loading area, or if its up before the 'lift bar' sign at the top, you'll be hearing about it on the loudspeaker!!

Loudspeaker? Tell me more about this. I'm sure I would not want to ski at some area with loudspeakers yelling at me to put the bar up/down, zip my jacket, fasten my chin strap, CARVE--don't skid, eat my vegetables ......

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
there's a speaker at the first tower , and at the hut at the top. Only used to remind people to put the bar down, or to move over and balance the chair. Its amazing how many times 2 or three people get on a 6pack and all sit on one side!

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
As others have said, using the safety bar in New England areas is mandatory. I've been hearing the lifties at Stowe this year doing a bit more yelling to "put the bar down" then they have in years past and I was admonished by an employee earlier this season for putting it up too early (new Vail rules apparently?).

All that said as well... charilifts are not the space shuttle. We're not pulling g's on takeoff here. Look around, make sure everyone is situated and ask if everyone is ready. A little common courtesy and common sense goes a long ways here. Being 6'2" I've had my share of helmet whacks when somebody pulls the bar down practically before my skis have even left the ground!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.