• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Carve full circle?

James

Out There
Instructor
^^^^^ Freestyle skiers have it wrong when it comes to what they call a "back flip". What they're really doing is a reverse (aka a "gainer"). If you're facing/moving forward and then flip backwards, it's a reverse.

An actual back flip would be coming into the jump switch and then flipping backwards and landing it switch. These terms were well-established in other sports, but leave it to the "renegade" freestyle skiers to get it wrong.
You just have the wrong frame of reference. Use the feet. Non-problem solved.

James

Out There
Instructor
They don’t, and no one cares. It’s all relative.
They relate it to the body since the feet are moving.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Go pitch to flat, you can do it with good carving skis. It’s usually standing up near the end.

If you can carve off the tails without blowing out your acl, you can do it in a shorter space like Ligety used to do in the finish.
I've done it once on FIS SL's, it is a rush and it happens quick, it was my one and only attempt. Truthfully not sure if I could do it again.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bottom of River Run at Sun Valley works perfectly, BUT it's so hard to find it empty enough. And I no longer have my SL skis.

These days I enjoy going halfway around and kinda coasting uphill while waving at Mrs. K, who then skis by, telling me "wrong way, dummie"!

Sponsor

Staff online