• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Carve full circle?

arficus

Putting on skis
Skier
I remember the 1st time I saw a boarder carve a full circle. I was amazed, thought it was beautiful. Never seen a skier do it. Seen some vids recently of extreme-inclination hand-dragging skiers, got me wondering whether some skiers can?

James

Out There
Instructor
Go pitch to flat, you can do it with good carving skis. It’s usually standing up near the end.

If you can carve off the tails without blowing out your acl, you can do it in a shorter space like Ligety used to do in the finish.

TS
A

arficus

Putting on skis
Skier
Go pitch to flat, you can do it with good carving skis. It’s usually standing up near the end.

If you can carve off the tails without blowing out your acl, you can do it in a shorter space like Ligety used to do in the finish.

So if I search for Ligety vids am I apt to find an example of him circling?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So if I search for Ligety vids am I apt to find an example of him circling?
Yeah, you should find some. He pretty much does it at the end of the video in this thread:

James

Out There
Instructor
He does it on this one on the pitch, which is hardcore

The original, Moscow. Horrible quality, there used to be a better one.
About 1:50

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've almost done it on Sundance at A-Basin. There's a reasonable pitch followed by a large flat with good visibility to make sure it's clear.

I nearly got around - had to sort of flop over the top. Might be interesting to try again on my slalom skis.

(I also had a really hard fall where I over edged, overly suddenly, to start the circle and went over.)

James

Out There
Instructor
I was going to say, thought that was long gone. Next up, FIS Ski Biking?? :eek:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So what was the
I was going to say, thought that was long gone. Next up, FIS Ski Biking?? :eek:
I've never even heard of it... from the Italian Wikipedia, via Google translate:

The initial idea was inspired by water skiing , where the further you go, the more the curve radius increases, represented by buoys placed in the water. Hence the idea of a very short course, with only eight curves, each of which has 5 buoys of different colors, arranged more or less in line. The outermost mark gives 5 points, then 4, 3, 2 until you reach the innermost one which gives only 1 point. The first to start is a "hare", therefore a strong but out-of-competition athlete who achieves a time, passing through the buoys according to his ideal line. For example, if the time achieved is 20 seconds, the competitors will have to tackle the course for no more than 20 seconds, trying to score as many points as possible at the buoys. Obviously it is better to go through the outermost mark which gives 5 points, but the risk is that of going outside the 20 seconds and therefore being eliminated. After a first run, the top 20 athletes move on. Then a second heat makes a further cut to 10 athletes who then compete in the final (therefore third test). The athlete does not use poles because the buoy is represented by a "mushroom" about 30 cm high. therefore the skier has the possibility of making extreme inclinations, placing his hand on the snow well beyond the mushroom, provided, obviously, that the skis pass outside the mushroom (or the buoy).

Apparently you could game the system by NOT trying to carve as much and just going for speed, so it didn't work that well. They changed the way it was done to try to improve it, but I guess it didn't last. Kind of a strange sport, trying to combine scoring and speed - I guess kind of like moguls. Go as fast as you can, but also score points. I guess the difference in moguls is that you don't necessarily trade one for the other, unless you need to slow down to get off a trick on the jumps, or to try to score better on turns or something.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Kind of a strange sport, trying to combine scoring and speed - I guess kind of like moguls. Go as fast as you can, but also score points.

The salient point is that the skis were also different than modern SL skis, designed to hold onto the turn longer. Sort of like the Palmer clothoid. Also, the lifters were HUGE.

1704749870972.png

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I do a 360 carve on occasion. However, it is dangerous so make sure you have an mty run. Next time I go I'll get a pic.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The salient point is that the skis were also different than modern SL skis, designed to hold onto the turn longer. Sort of like the Palmer clothoid. Also, the lifters were HUGE.

View attachment 220810

I have a set of Tyrolia Super Carve plates from that time period, but they're not quite that tall. Wow. Those also look a lot more serious.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Apparently one way to learn this is:
1. Spend several years on freestyle skis
2. Take out carving skis for the day and carve a 360.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
^^^^^ Freestyle skiers have it wrong when it comes to what they call a "back flip". What they're really doing is a reverse (aka a "gainer"). If you're facing/moving forward and then flip backwards, it's a reverse.

An actual back flip would be coming into the jump switch and then flipping backwards and landing it switch. These terms were well-established in other sports, but leave it to the "renegade" freestyle skiers to get it wrong.

Sponsor

Staff online