• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best locks for bike racks on cars?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
65409-250x331-Pitbull_with_pronged_collar.jpg

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
See I just put it inside the car with a blanket over it..

That's definitely the best option, but sometimes I'm actually using the inside of my car!

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Pfffttt..priorities Monique!!! :D

Well, like this weekend - I had the interior set up as a cozy little sleeping area, and moving everything around would have been a pain. Definitely don't want sleeping bag material to encounter bike parts and grease.

Actually, I've always wondered if bike thieves simply break into cars to steal bikes, too. I don't see why they wouldn't, except that maybe people actually *would* speak up about that.

All of this reminds me that I really need to check with my insurance agency about my homeowner's and car insurance policies ... see what they say about bikes.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
They definitely break into cars to steal bikes..just more noise and work. But if you can hide it a bit.. Usually (up here) bike theft is covered by home policy and with a $1000 deductible and sometimes with a limit. It pays to talk to your insurance company if you're worried...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
See I just put it inside the car with a blanket over it..

Same. In our household, the smallest vehicle (crossover) still holds a couple of bikes in back, with a sleeping bag between/over them that I bought from J. C. Penney for $10 when I was in college. Tinted windows, motion alarm on the vehicles, never had a problem, since where I live, at least, there are exposed bikes all over the place for very easy stealing on roof and bumper racks (and even truck tailgates).

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well, I've just spent an inordinate (actually, probably plenty ordinate) amount of time looking at chains and locks and reviews and discussions online.

@Philpug - my hitch doesn't have "ears," but it does have a Y shape that a cable or chain could loop around.

I have come to the realization that the gym-style padlock I have been using with my cable is a very soft target for a would-be thief - and the cable isn't much better. I also suspect that mud got into the lock, causing it to be difficult to open, so a keyed lock with a keyhole cover probably makes a lot of sense.

I've been looking for a 6' chain with a fabric (or whatever) cover that will allow a large shackle to pass through. What I've learned is that it's hard to find a six foot chain with large diameter links that has, say, a loop at the end so that there's actually room for that large shackle. Also that for every product, there are one or two reviews indicating that you can basically destroy the chain or lock in 30s with a butter knife. If I can find something like what I want, I'm betting the combo of chain and lock will be $150-200. Which may be a reasonable investment in peace of mind.

Not sure where to shop for this stuff in-person so that I can actually ensure that the lock works with the chain - I'm guessing start with a locksmith?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
@Monique I couldn't find the receiver lock last night when I see in the garage last night. I did find something similar to the one Philpug posted by from masterlock. DH must have broke it and didn't tell me.

Chain and a lock....automotive store, farm store, contractor/industrial supply places. I know locally I be going to the tsc store. It's an industrial supply and farm supply place.

A locksmith is not going to have anything better than Wal-Mart. I buy from the same places they do. Make it from scratch. Make sure you a good padlock with a cover. That receiver lock had a plastic cover over the key.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got a long heavy gauge vinyl coated cable that has an end that is trapped in the trunk. Then it wraps around the bikes and rack and I secure it with a kryptonite lock. Works well, keeps honest and semi-honest people honest. It will make a thief think twice or at least slow em down.

Years ago in Lomg Beach CA, a thief broke into my car while it was in my driveway. Stole everything inside, but couldn't get the car because I had the "Club" on the wheel. So I'm a believer in lashing things down as best as you can. Should have had the monkey in the trunk though.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Should have had the monkey in the trunk though.

Eh, someone would have bashed open the car to rescue the monkey from the heat ...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I got my chain from Princess Auto, grade 70 transport chain, 3/8". Covered it with an old mtb tube and some electrical tape..then used a tough lock to shackle it to my workbench which is bolted to the floor. Not impossible to steal..but hopefully they move on..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Pros spray A/C cooolant on the metal chains and pipes to freeze it then shatter it with a hammer.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I got my chain from Princess Auto, grade 70 transport chain, 3/8". Covered it with an old mtb tube and some electrical tape..then used a tough lock to shackle it to my workbench which is bolted to the floor. Not impossible to steal..but hopefully they move on..

Not sure if they are in the state's. Great store though for this stuff. The guys on Kingston know me by name!

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Pros spray A/C cooolant on the metal chains and pipes to freeze it then shatter it with a hammer.

Lovely.

I bet that doesn't take very long at all, does it?

Bikes may be one area where "security through obscurity" is actually your best bet - hide it under a blanket or under a truck topper so that it doesn't draw attention.

My old bike (that I'm trying to sell right now, btw!) still drew attention this year - you don't see a lot of Ellsworths with that distinctive anodized finish. My new bike gets a lot of comments. Of course you can't throw a rock without hitting a Yeti in Colorado ...

Sponsor

Staff online