• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best locks for bike racks on cars?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I fully recognize that no locking solution will deter a knowledgeable or determined bike thief.

That being said - do you have a method that you think would at least require tools beyond a bolt cutter, or take some time?

I gather sometimes they'll even just detach the rack, in which case I just can't think of anything you could do. I've put my bike in the car sometimes, but that's not always an option.

So, what do you do, and how effective do you think it is?

I currently use a Thule double hitch rack with a cable lock that threads over the down tube and down through the hinge of the rack. I figure the cable lock is really just a visual deterrent and the hope that someone wouldn't want to be seen taking a bolt cutter to someone's car. So, pretty much ineffective. The rack itself could be removed if you cut through the locked bolt and spent a couple of minutes pulling out the bolt, or I guess you could disassemble the hinge with a little more time. Sometimes I loop two cable locks just to again add a few seconds of work / chance of getting caught.

I imagine an actual chain would be an improvement over the cable lock.

I was freaked out this weekend by the combo padlock I was using with a cable. I drove through a muddy puddle (think at least a foot deep), and maybe because of that, I couldn't get the lock to release. Multiple people tried before we finally managed to get it open. I asked the guy next to us if he had a bolt cutter, and frankly I think he would have been very happy to help us out if he'd had one - so it would be very easy for a thief to explain away their cutters, I'm sure.

I guess I've been thinking about this less in the last few years, as my bike became more dated. Now, with a new bike, it's on my mind again.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You can lock the rack to the car with a lock like this...

THSTL2_14_500.jpg

My receiver hitch has these two "ears" on the side of the female end that allow my to run the cable through, so I can lock the bikes directly to the receiver/car...
71PUnzw0sDL._SY355_.jpg

I would suggest getting the beefiest cable/plastic covered chain that will fit through those ears that you cna find. If yours does not have the ears, you might be able to loop it around the X bar.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you're at peak lock with a good cable, and the locking pin @Philpug shows above.

I try and park "strategically" too, but realize that isn't always an option.

Decades ago, I had a bike stolen off the roof of my car between the hours of 1 AM and 5 AM. It was locked VERY securely, but I was parked in a University campus area, and over 200 bikes got stolen that night, which goes to show that sometimes, there is no winning against a pro thief!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I double and triple the cables, at times. Also, my Thule T2 Pro automatically locks to the hitch, which I love. I can't even imagine how anyone would be able to get through that locking mechanism.
Remember locking car steering wheels with those big retractable thingy majiggies. What were those called again? I'd love one for my bike while it's on the rack.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
The Club @AmyPJ .

There are other makes of hitch locks. I've always locked the hitch to the truck. Bicycle locks come in many flavours. Yesterday I noticed a bike frame locked to a street sign here in town. Not sure why, or if the wheels etc were stolen. But why leave a bike locked to a street sign on a busy road. You had it coming to you.

It's been mentioned before, you can only deter a thief. Wind the cable around everything and anything. They will be frustrated and go to the next.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Monique there was a really good story on I think 9News a couple of summers ago about bike locks, where bikes get stolen the most, etc. It was pretty good. I think at one point they even setup their own sting type operation. It was pretty eye opening how fast some locks can be broke. If I remember correctly in the end it was cable or chain that was the best deterrent. The DP may have been part of it too.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
This thread makes me think of this video. :)

https://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000001423494/bike-thief.html?mcubz=1

This dude tries to see how brazenly he can "steal" his own bike in NYC without being caught / called on it. I lol'ed more than once. Funnily enough, I never got a bike stolen in 5+ years of locking up bikes all over NYC, and then got a mountain bike stolen that was locked up under my carport in Boulder.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You can lock the rack to the car with a lock like this...

THSTL2_14_500.jpg

That's the bolt thing I have. I assume it's not that hard to break, though. I mean, the lock side is plastic ...

71PUnzw0sDL._SY355_.jpg

I would suggest getting the beefiest cable/plastic covered chain that will fit through those ears that you cna find. If yours does not have the ears, you might be able to loop it around the X bar.

I don't have those ears. What's the X bar?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's the bolt thing I have. I assume it's not that hard to break, though. I mean, the lock side is plastic ...

I don't have those ears. What's the X bar?
The bar that has the "curt" sticker

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya hitch racks are probably more secure.. Probably pretty easy to tear a roof rack with bikes, trays,skis, kayaks, etc of the top of a car and throw it all in the back of a pick up truck to sort out later.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Locks only keep the honest people out!
Quoted for truth. I have seen top tubes cut, I have seen wheels cut. If they want your bike, they will find a way to get your bike.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This thread makes me think of this video. :)

https://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000001423494/bike-thief.html?mcubz=1

This dude tries to see how brazenly he can "steal" his own bike in NYC without being caught / called on it. I lol'ed more than once. Funnily enough, I never got a bike stolen in 5+ years of locking up bikes all over NYC, and then got a mountain bike stolen that was locked up under my carport in Boulder.

Oh, man. That was depressing. Wonder what I'd do in that situation. I assume they all noticed, but just figured it wasn't their business ...

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pretty much any cable lock will discourage a casual, opportunistic thief. I doubt there is anything, including chain, that can foil a determined and experienced bicycle thief.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Pretty much any cable lock will discourage a casual, opportunistic thief. I doubt there is anything, including chain, that can foil a determined and experienced bicycle thief.

I guess that's where I land, too. Which is a real bummer for things like going car camping with your bike. Or maybe it's freeing, because I'm already doing all I can do (using a cable lock).

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Ya hitch racks are probably more secure.. Probably pretty easy to tear a roof rack with bikes, trays,skis, kayaks, etc of the top of a car and throw it all in the back of a pick up truck to sort out later.

There was a discussion about theft recently in a facebook group, and someone said that according to a police officer with whom she'd spoken, bikes on hitch racks are more frequently stolen than bikes on roof racks. But I don't have any further info beyond that.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There was a discussion about theft recently in a facebook group, and someone said that according to a police officer with whom she'd spoken, bikes on hitch racks are more frequently stolen than bikes on roof racks. But I don't have any further info beyond that.
I'd say that would depend on if the rack is locked to the hitch frame or not. If all they have to do is pull the pin to keep the whole rack and bikes that would be pretty unsecure indeed. Heck, even with the bikes gone riding, stealing the rack would be pretty inviting if it's just a steel hitch pin keeping it there.

Sponsor

Staff online