• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Because breast cancer touches many of us

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know its talked about a lot, especially during October, but its a form of cancer that has most likely touched every one of us in a personal way.
I know of a few breast cancer survivors among our members, though I won't call them out.
It has touched me personally through my mom and cousin, who are both survivors.

I'm not going to ask you to donate to the cause, though I'm sure there are tons of fundraising efforts going on.
What I am going to ask you to do is make sure that the women in your life get checked, and make sure to hug the people close to you.
I leave you with this powerful tribute from Melissa Etheridge
Some images are graphic.

Edit: Fix broken link.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Breast cancer took one of my best friends 4 years ago at age 41. I get my mammograms every October. Nothing gets to me more than this subject. I wear my pink breast cancer pin every October. Everyone who this ugly disease touches is an inspiration.

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My brother died of breast cancer a few years ago. Yes guys, pay attention, it could happen to you too.
I had an uncle who had a breast cancer scare. That was the first time I heard of male risk of breast cancer. Thanks for bringing it up

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I mean it's terrible for everyone who experiences this but I struggle with how hard it must be to have no symptoms and then bam stage 4 and your screwed. My Kim was diagnosed at 36. Too young for a mammogram and in perfect health. One day she's crippled with lower back pain and can barely walk. After numerous doctor visits and tests we find out she's got stage 4 breast cancer and it's in her bones. Seems like sometimes people get a raw deal, really good people and it breaks my heart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimdh

Putting on skis
Skier
Surfsnowgirl, “like” isn’t really appropriate. Please interpret it as “agree.” - Really good people and it breaks my heart is absolutely true.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I mean it's terrible for everyone who experiences this but I struggle with how hard it must be to have no symptoms and then bam stage 4 and your screwed. My Kim was diagnosed at 36. Too young for a mammy and in perfect health. One day she's crippled with lower back pain and can barely walk. After numerous doctor visits and tests we find out she's got stage 4 breast cancer and it's in her bones. Seems like sometimes people get a raw deal, really good people and it breaks my heart.

Just lost a dragon boat team mate, 54 to a metastasis stage 4. 3 years ago BC, then it was back this fall. She had only a month. Her son works for me, just 20 something. Doesn't matter when you lose your mother, it still hurts. I just hate this disease no matter what the site is!!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Just lost a dragon boat team mate, 54 to a metastasis stage 4. 3 years ago BC, then it was back this fall. She had only a month. Her son works for me, just 20 something. Doesn't matter when you lose your mother, it still hurts. I just hate this disease no matter what the site is!!

I'm so sorry. Sucks no matter what the age. I hate the disease as well. I wish it on no-one.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
There are multiple types of breast cancer as there are with many other cancers. Different types require different treatments, have different survival outcomes, and strike various ethnic groups in different proportions.
https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breas...-cancer-diagnosis/types-of-breast-cancer.html

"Healthy lifestyle choices may help lower your risk of different types of cancer and other health conditions such as heart disease, diabetes and osteoporosis."

https://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/HealthyBehaviorsampRisk.html

We need to continue and increase the support for research into all types of cancers. It'll strike almost every family.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm close to two research Oncologists, one with MD Anderson, the other a college bud and senior Oncological Surgeon with the National Institute of Health in Bethesda. They both say advances in cancer research and treatment are highly encouraging. They also say we already know how to significantly reduce cancer incidence through lifestyle and preventive measures but there just don't seem to be many people following the guidelines.

Since it contains really helpful lifestyle and preventive information I'm going to post one of @PTskier 's links again.

https://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/HealthyBehaviorsampRisk.html

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
My neighbor, Darlene, was diagnosed about 18 months ago. Double mastectomy. Chemo. Radiation. Good prognosis. We saw her a couple days ago and she sadly shared that it may be in her pelvis. Heavy week of testing coming up. She and her husband, Mike, have been great friends/neighbors for 13 years. He had a heart attack 3 weeks ago and is doing well. They are in a real tough spot.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a breast cancer survivor. I was diagnosed early last May after a routine mammogram. A month later, I had a double mastectomy and reconstruction and today, I'm cancer free. I was lucky. The day I received the diagnosis, and had some decisions to make in a short period of time....it's an emotional kick in the gut. My life is forever changed.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
My aunt had it in her early 40's. Survived. I didn't hear her talk about it much. This was like 40 years ago. People don't talk about breast cancer then.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
We need to continue and increase the support for research into all types of cancers. It'll strike almost every family.

Wife had to undergo thyroid removal for cancer. One of her best friends went through all the non-surgical foolishness and ended up having to have a mastectomy after the chemicals started to poison her brain.

My father was a surgeon who advocated immediate removal upon diagnosis. He practiced for 35 years and never had a patient get another cancer after he did their mastectomy.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wife had to undergo thyroid removal for cancer. One of her best friends went through all the non-surgical foolishness and ended up having to have a mastectomy after the chemicals started to poison her brain.

My father was a surgeon who advocated immediate removal upon diagnosis. He practiced for 35 years and never had a patient get another cancer after he did their mastectomy.

Although it’s a very personal decision for each woman who is diagnosed, for me, a mastectomy provided the best peace of mind and best prognosis. The reconstructive skills of plastic surgeons are amazing for those who fear being “maimed,”

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Going through this with my friend right now. She as she called it had some very well behaved cancer cells in one of her breasts. They did a lumpectomy and believe they got it all. She is/was stage 1 so doesn't have to go through chemo but just to be sure all is well Tracey has to go through 6 weeks of radiation. We are courtesy staff together at Bromley along with my guy Michael. Tracey's worrying about not being able to fulfill all of her obligated days due to being too tired. She's going to email our boss and let him know what's going on. I told her don't even worry about it that between Michael and I, we'll cover her shifts if she's ever too tired. Her focus should be to get well. I hate this ugly disease.

Last edited:

Sponsor