• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Because breast cancer touches many of us

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm close to two research Oncologists, one with MD Anderson, the other a college bud and senior Oncological Surgeon with the National Institute of Health in Bethesda. They both say advances in cancer research and treatment are highly encouraging. They also say we already know how to significantly reduce cancer incidence through lifestyle and preventive measures but there just don't seem to be many people following the guidelines.

Since it contains really helpful lifestyle and preventive information I'm going to post one of @PTskier 's links again.

https://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/HealthyBehaviorsampRisk.html

There are definitely lifestyle factors that can help prevent cancer, but some people also have strong genetic links (me). And for those people, cancer doesn't always discriminate between healthy and unhealthy individuals. That said, it's no excuse not to adopt a healthy lifestyle, but once the cancer diagnosis is made, it is difficult to connect the dots and establish a cause and effect link, and doing so can also create unnecessary guilt. Trying to answer the question, "What did I do wrong in my life to get this disease?" is not a good emotional response.

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are definitely lifestyle factors that can help prevent cancer, but some people also have strong genetic links (me). And for those people, cancer doesn't always discriminate between healthy and unhealthy individuals. That said, it's no excuse not to adopt a healthy lifestyle, but once the cancer diagnosis is made, it is difficult to connect the dots and establish a cause and effect link, and doing so can also create unnecessary guilt. Trying to answer the question, "What did I do wrong in my life to get this disease?" is not a good emotional response.
Thank you for providing that perspective.

Sponsor

Staff online