• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
DENVER, Colo. & PARK CITY, Utah--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The newly formed entity controlled by affiliates of KSL Capital Partners, LLC and Henry Crown and Company that in July joined Intrawest Resorts Holdings, Inc., Mammoth Resorts, and Squaw Valley Ski Holdings today announced, with Deer Valley Resort, that they have entered into a definitive agreement for the newly formed entity to acquire Deer Valley Resort. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed. The transaction is subject to certain closing conditions and is anticipated to close prior to the upcoming 2017/18 ski season.

“We could not be more pleased that Deer Valley Resort will be part of our new company, and we look forward to working with the staff and Park City community to carry on the traditions that make it so special”

-----------------

Now that we're mostly through December I thought I'd give the new ownership a report card based on my experience there yesterday and today and see how they're doing relative to their statement above.

Conditions:....... B

Use of Snowmaking to Maximize: ......... C-/D+
Open Terrain

Lift Operations: * ......... F

Food:............ B

Facilities: .............. A

Crowds/Skier Density: **........... F

Fulfilling Stated Commitment to Existing Customers per:
Press Release:***.......... FFF

Overall Experience:.......... F

I don't think I'm being that tough a grader here. My grades and comments attempt to incorporate the feelings of other DV locals and I'm adjusting for the realities of holidays and lack of natural snowfall this year.

** In years past daily tickets were capped at 7,500 at the busiest times with most terrain open and significantly lower at other times. Yesterday and today the cap was 9,000 with most terrain not open and with a number of lifts not in operation. Lines were way past the corrals in fact there were complete bottlenecks in places as DV isn't by any stretch designed for those kinds of lines.

* With the above cap already creating havoc, a major lift (Sterling), critical given the current scenario, failed today and was shut down for most of the morning. Other lifts also had issues. Exactly how long the delays were I don't know because I left after 5 runs although sat in the lodge for a while.

*** As far as fulfilling their commitment....the above press release sets out a standard on which we season pass holders should have been able to rely. It's why some of us pay 3 times the cost of an Epic Local Pass. Initial indications are that the new entity is not only failing to honor their stated commitment but mislead their customers into purchasing passes.

So far I give the new KSL ownership entity a complete fail.

I don’t care what they call themselves, I guess it is Alterra

I do know @Lorenzzo and 100% respect his opinion on what is currently going on. Over selling tickets on limited terrain is total BS in my book. One of the reasons DV tickets and passes are so expensive is the limited number on the mountain. It is an outdoor sport, and very weather dependent, they have to take the good with the bad, and sure I bet their skier visit days are down this year due to the weather, but it is BS to punish pass holders and daily ticket purchasers by chasing money lost already this season due to poor snowfall.

I was really happy with the skiing when I was there, as was @Mrs. 53, but I am a green groomer guy and easy to please. Mrs. 53 was content, but would have liked more of her favorite runs open, but hey, like I said it is an outdoor sport and subject to weather fluctuations.

I hope Lorenzzo’s critiques above are addressed and corrected sooner rather than later.

As a future season pass family, this is a bit concerning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online