• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ask Ziggy...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Dear Ziggy,

I've been studiously educating my youngest lad on the finer points of skiing, to the point where he's doing the ski cross and terrain park jumps. You can imagine my consternation when he watched a snowboard video and now wants to switch to snowboard!!! I can't have this, what is a ski parent to do with this little potential Neanderthal knuckle dragger?!?!

Signed, ummm...Anonymous???

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Let him snowboard! But teach him the rules and not to be one of those snowboarders.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel your pain. My 14yo, who can ski really well, just asked to learn to snowboard. I figured that of all the possible outlets for teen rebellion, I can live with this one. Currently, the teen is signed up for spring lessons and I have to figure out how to adapt my ski rack in the garage to accommodate the *clutches pearls* snowboard that was just delivered to the house.

currently the plan is to keep skiing for “serious” terrain, and the goal for snowboarding is to be able to turn well enough to enjoy easier terrain when going out with friends who don’t ski as well as they do. We shall see…

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Child psychiatrists are treating clients with more significant “switching to…..” desires.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My kid switched from skiing spring '22 and asked for beginner gear Dec '22 as a HS Jr.
Her motivation was to begin the sport w/ a non-skiing buddy, but the buddy didn't stick with it.
Now, I'm hoping she'll come back after she gets past college and the expected peer pressure there.

I can't see myself paying for counseling unless it's life threatening.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Don't they have child psychiatrists for that?
I mean it's definitely anti-social behaviour.. who knows where this could lead?!?

1711308486812.png

k2rider

Getting on the lift
Skier
The obvious answer is to let him snowboard. He'll probably end up doing both....picking one of the other based on the conditions or who is spending the day with. I skied for 11 years before trying snowboarding, did both for 15 years but 90% snowboarding and now have been exclusively snowboarding since 2009 after breaking my femur in a dirt bike crash. For me, I switched to skis when there was no fresh snow and I just wanted to rip groomers all day with the misses.

Both my kids started on skis, switched to snowboarding after (1) year for my son and (4) years for my daughter; neither one of them have ever skied again.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Get him on the snowboard then take him someplace where you have to traverse a LOT of FLATS... He'll quickly realize that two planks and two poles are fare superior to two feet strapped to one board having to step out all the time.. Or maybe he'll train for the Olympic Cross Country Snowboard Team?

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Get him on the snowboard then take him someplace where you have to traverse a LOT of FLATS... He'll quickly realize that two planks and two poles are fare superior to two feet strapped to one board having to step out all the time.. Or maybe he'll train for the Olympic Cross Country Snowboard Team?

Like Alta??? :roflmao:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My nephew turned from ski to snowboard when he was a teen. He knew the rules of the slopes and was a ton of fun to hang with on the snow.
He's a great human being has become a Dr and has a kid of his own.

DCP_6086.JPG

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
E-bike potential? Kick his butt out on the street right now, lock the door, and don’t look back. You don’t need that kind of negativity in your life. Can’t help with the snowboard thing though.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Q: What’s the difference between a beginner snowboarder & a snowboard instructor?
A: About 3 days!

In my case this was literally the case.

I began Snowboarding in the early 90’s as it was gaining acceptance at resorts & we didn’t have anyone to teach it. I never gave up skiing but was on a board close to half the time for about 10yrs & even competed for awhile.
When shaped & fat skis came into vogue about the time I moved to a bigger mountain with lots of ridges & valley returns I realized how inefficient the board was & only bring it out as a diversion these days.

I remember when my niece was a young teen and some of her flatlander friends were snowboarders and she wanted to learn. She picked it up very quickly but as soon as she met some of the local Tahoe boys who were skiers she dropped the snowboarding and never looked back.

It’s always fun to learn something new but from my perspective skiing is just way better :ogbiggrin:!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
On the serious side, nothing wrong with learning to do both. Get him a nice skateboard and proper helmet and pads for Easter.

Ziggy

Lead Dog
Admin
Variety is the spice of life.
When I was hanging out with my buddy Higgins, his mom was a snowboarder. I had a crush on her because she gave me awesome treats and took me on hikes with Higz.
Aunt Haynes skis now too, so she's living proof that you can do both.

Also... @Lauren skis and snowboards. She's preeeetttty
:wag:

Like I said...variety is the spice of life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsor