• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
@Uncle-A I see your Kastle’s have a turned up tail,
Are these the ones with a little flat at the tip too?
PXL_20231115_135313036.jpg

Yes, sorry it took so long to reply back, but a picture can be worth a thousand words.

Uncle-A

Skier
They look like the Freestyle Pro, which does have the snub tip.
Yes, and I think if you ever come back easy and want to try them out you can. I think they are set for a 305 BSL but I am pretty sure you know how to adjust them to your BSL, if you ever want to try them.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
I guess these are what I expected in terms of an intermediate, or advanced intermediate target (as published in Ski magazine’s of 1983-4) where these OLIN 770S skis have a relatively stiff flex underfoot yet the very ends are flexible. At 180cm I think this is the perfect length for them.

From what I can tell the Look 99 bindings are super solid and I doubt their Plastic elements come into play in any dynamic/Mechanical function; with the exception of the Teflon/ friction boot interfaces, where I hope these have aged well and remain stout.
In conclusion-
I not only hope to ski these 40 year old skis and bindings “as is” (after tuning and adjusting) for some test ride runs this season but to do so with another 40 year aged plastic dare: ski them with my old light grey Salomon SX ski boots!* Lol

*This decision might be based upon the ambient temperature of the day- I won’t push my luck if it’s like 10 degrees outside- have you seen what extreme cold does to plastic?!

Attachments

• 30B1FAB3-DB7A-449A-ACBA-9DE52AFBFDBF.jpeg
    30B1FAB3-DB7A-449A-ACBA-9DE52AFBFDBF.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
I guess these are what I expected in terms of an intermediate, or advanced intermediate target (as published in Ski magazine’s of 1983-4) where these OLIN 770S skis have a relatively stiff flex underfoot yet the very ends are flexible. At 180cm I think this is the perfect length for them.

From what I can tell the Look 99 bindings are super solid and I doubt their Plastic elements come into play in any dynamic/Mechanical function; with the exception of the Teflon/ friction boot interfaces, where I hope these have aged well and remain stout.
In conclusion-
I not only hope to ski these 40 year old skis and bindings “as is” (after tuning and adjusting) for some test ride runs this season but to do so with another 40 year aged plastic dare: ski them with my old light grey Salomon SX ski boots!* Lol

*This decision might be based upon the ambient temperature of the day- I won’t push my luck if it’s like 10 degrees outside- have you seen what extreme cold does to plastic?!
The flex pattern of stiff under foot and softer flex tip and tail was very common in that time frame. It is not surprising to find that in one of the Olin skis.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
The softest OLIN skis I’ve seen so far (from the MARK Series) are the MARK Vl’s when they first were green w/ yellow letters.
Also the later MARK l and MARK ll editions were some sold in mostly shorter lengths had a lot of flex.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The softest OLIN skis I’ve seen so far (from the MARK Series) are the MARK Vl’s when they first were green w/ yellow letters.
Also the later MARK l and MARK ll editions were some sold in mostly shorter lengths had a lot of flex.
Mark III S were softish ... and skied that way, awful ski.

Uncle-A

Skier
The Mark l came in two models the White letters that was soft for newer skiers and the yellow letters that was firmer for intermediate skiers. The Mark l with the white letters was the first pair of skis I gave my girlfriend/wife with a set of Look GT binding, she used them a few years and moved on to Rossi's.

Royal

UTAH
Skier

In conclusion-

I have rebuilt a bunch of Look 99 RS and HPs and they are an aluminum toe and heel plastics are just cosmetic covers. heel brake versions are preferable. that said. almost every pair suffered from lack of lubrication. several pair had springs that rusted solid and when cycled through a release the springs would break. before you ski them open them up and inspect, re-lube and test. I have seven pair on the wall next to me that all pass muster on a Vermont Ski Safety device. and skied quite well.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
@Royal & @Doug Briggs,
Thank you for the good advice!
I was pleasantly surprised when I first looked at these 40 year old Look 99 bindings: actually I began worried as to find a lot of play in one of the toe pieces!
only to discover both sets were fully backed out/ toes and heels showing to be stored in lowest tension adjustment!
:)

scottgstell

Booting up
Skier
The Mark l came in two models the White letters that was soft for newer skiers and the yellow letters that was firmer for intermediate skiers. The Mark l with the white letters was the first pair of skis I gave my girlfriend/wife with a set of Look GT binding, she used them a few years and moved on to Rossi's.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
View attachment 216917
Found these. only 26 pair made. My dad started Olin Skis and I founf this treasure when he passed. Doesn't get much better than enjoying history on my office wall. Ski Bum ! is also license plate. Have a ball this seaosn.

I mean wow, just wow! That is an incredible find. You really need to share more of the story when you have a moment.

Uncle-A

Skier
View attachment 216917
Found these. only 26 pair made. My dad started Olin Skis and I founf this treasure when he passed. Doesn't get much better than enjoying history on my office wall. Ski Bum ! is also license plate. Have a ball this seaosn.
What year was that when the first Olin skis went into production? The ones I got for my girlfriend/wife probably were the 1972 - 1973 season.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
View attachment 216917
What kind of serial numbers do they have? And yes more on your Dad and the beginning of Olin.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
I still have a pair of the MARK 1’s like those, 200 cm, your Dad’s must have been pre-production?
That is very Cool that he started the company!
We look forward to hearing more!

Sponsor