• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2023-2024 Killington Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sounds like a downgrade :duck:

(says the guy who grew up in Pittsburgh)
I like Pittsburgh, but Pitt Medical School to Thomas Jefferson residency? Not sure which is more highly thought of, but TJ was my son-in-laws #1 choice for residency so we are happy for him... and us as we get them closer for a number of years!

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Today was my first of a multi-week stay. A big crowd for a non-holiday Mpnday, but nothing like the zoo reported for the weekend. Bluebird skies, light winds, temps in the 20s, and over 2 feet of snow from the weekend. Pretty darn good.

AlpineSkier

Booting up
Skier
Probably heading up tomorrow. The threat of showers + midweek should keep the crowds away.

James

Out There
Instructor
With just returning from my Winter Park trip, the impending move of my daughter and son-in-law from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia (yeah!), and Easter with our relatives, we missed the most recent snow-filled week and will not return to Killington until mid-April. Enjoy the fresh snow and save some spring snow for our return!
Don’t know if you’re interested, but the battleship USS New Jersey has just been moved to dry dock in Philly. Last time this happened it was the early 90’s and unlikely to happen for another 30 yrs unless the Navy repossesses it for active duty. Anyway, you can buy a ticket through the museum to get to go down and walk around the ship. It’s not cheap, about the price of a Vail day ticket. Just look it up, you’ll find it.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don’t know if you’re interested, but the battleship USS New Jersey has just been moved to dry dock in Philly. Last time this happened it was the early 90’s and unlikely to happen for another 30 yrs unless the Navy repossesses it for active duty. Anyway, you can buy a ticket through the museum to get to go down and walk around the ship. It’s not cheap, about the price of a Vail day ticket. Just look it up, you’ll find it.
Son-in-law is doing med school via the Army, so there is that whole rivalry thang with the Navy, but I think he could overlook that! He is into military history and I would like the tour as well. Can't speak for my wife and daughter...

James

Out There
Instructor
Son-in-law is doing med school via the Army, so there is that whole rivalry thang with the Navy, but I think he could overlook that! He is into military history and I would like the tour as well. Can't speak for my wife and daughter...
You should look into it soon as I believe there are only 500 tickets. It’s a shipyard after all, and you can’t be in there when they’re working.
The curator of the USS New Jersey has some great videos on youtube about various aspects of the ship and history. That’s the only reason I know about it. I guess right now the ship was moved down the river from Camden and is across the river from the Navy Yard drydock in Philly. Going to be moved tomorrow, the 27th, into the drydock around 11am.

Why the Navy Didn’t Find Amelia Earhart

AlpineSkier

Booting up
Skier
Anyone heading up for some spring skiing tomorrow? Looks like rain showers but might not be bad with 54 degree temps.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today we took advantage of 2-3" of new snow to soften the base. Mostly skied the Bear and Needle's Eye trails before they were closed for the season. We did start at the gondola while waiting for friends to arrive and hit East Fall and Highline, then headed over. Ended the day at the Superstar chair. Everything quickly started to bump up, which was fun yet tiring. Applied some spring wax when I got back to the condo!

Norther1

Putting on skis
Skier
I thought Killington skied well today---not many people there either which was great. It did get bumpy/heavy pretty quickly due to the temps and the couple inches of fresh snow. Skied off Ramshead before all the park rats came out, then moved over to the bubble and north ridge. Snow over at north ridge was good I thought. Spent the afternoon off the superstar lift mostly lapping Skylark but did an Old Superstar bump run before the bottom melts out entirely. It snowed a bit in the afternoon and light r@ain at the very base which seemed to make even more people evaporate---so I had Skylark to myself for a few runs.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I thought Killington skied well today---not many people there either which was great. It did get bumpy/heavy pretty quickly due to the temps and the couple inches of fresh snow. Skied off Ramshead before all the park rats came out, then moved over to the bubble and north ridge. Snow over at north ridge was good I thought. Spent the afternoon off the superstar lift mostly lapping Skylark but did an Old Superstar bump run before the bottom melts out entirely. It snowed a bit in the afternoon and light r@ain at the very base which seemed to make even more people evaporate---so I had Skylark to myself for a few runs.
We were ready to leave when the "snow" started, but that was a function of the heavy bumpy snow all day. We stayed away from your side since we are here all week and will get plenty of it then.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Killington was a lot of fun on Saturday. Planning on saturday and sunday of this week. Then it'll be at least one Killington day a weekend until Mid May. My cutoff is usually when Upper Lark and Lower bitter go away so that usually gets me to mid may. I might try to sneak away from work on a Friday or a Monday if a sunny day happens/friends are there, etc.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Killington was a lot of fun on Saturday.
New cover of snow made for a sweet Sunday.
IMG_4306.jpg
Both the Mother and Grandmother joined the 5 year old that we have been teaching this year. Really is nothing better for a little one than skiing with his family. He crushed Great Northern from the top after his first Gondola ride.
IMG_4328.jpg
Spring fun weather continues all week. Love the acres per skier season.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
New cover of snow made for a sweet Sunday.
View attachment 233788
Both the Mother and Grandmother joined the 5 year old that we have been teaching this year. Really is nothing better for a little one than skiing with his family. He crushed Great Northern from the top after his first Gondola ride.
View attachment 233789
Spring fun weather continues all week. Love the acres per skier season.

I saw Cindy's post on Facebook about the little one. So cute to watch.

We'll be up this weekend. Dazed in defrosted, passholder lunch, etc.
I have tree house :beercheer:

Norther1

Putting on skis
Skier
Another fun spring day at Killington. It dropped below freezing overnight so was a little firm earlier on but it softened pretty quickly. Got a bit heavy toward the afternoon but I didn't find any really sticky snow. Started over at snowden, then over to north ridge and spent the early afternoon on the superstar lift. Was busier at opening but had emptied a bit by noon. I stayed until my legs got tired at 2pm.
Have to decide if I make it up for one more day this weekend.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pass holder appreciation Saturday started a little soggy, but we were skiing by 10 am to avoid the rain. Killington day 50 for me as they also celebrated the 100 Day Club. Typical spring conditions were found all over the mountain, but Downdraft was the run of the day so we skied it twice. Still plenty of snow on quite a few trails. Get it tomorrow or wait for next season as only Superstar lift will be running after Sunday. :huh:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Killington was a lot of fun today. We got out around noon. Skied off the bubble for a while. Conditions were deteriorating but not terrible and coverage was overall decent. Then we moved over to the superstar quad after lunch. Conditions over here were the best I felt. I normally am over here near the bitter end when bitter is pretty much snirt but upper lark and upper/lower bitter were pretty good. Even lower lark looked good. Fun soft snow bumps everywhere. Some ice mixed in to make it a fun spicy day.

Looking forward to another good day tomorrow.

Sponsor

Staff online