• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Fischer Podium race boot

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So yeah, cuff alignment. The new boot is in the middle, the old boots are left and my new pair of old boots is on the right. I could not get the new boot to work for me like the old boot so I just ponied up for a new pair of the old boots. The cuff rotated inward is supposedly how the speed guys run their boots so I tried to find out if the speed guys have a different version of the new boot. Couldn't find anything, but my internet sleuthing revealed that at least Sam Morse is still running the old boot. I"m still hoping to discover that a rotated cuff for the new boot exists.

Interesting that you were "bitten" by this design change. It was the first thing I noticed when the pics of the new shell emerged. I'm always surprised when manufacturers decide to remove features/capabilities that actually give them differentiation from much of their competition. Cuffs with rotation aren't common, so it was surprising and frustrating to see this decision from Fischer.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I think it probably makes sense to take the rotation out. The target market really is going to be academy kids and they mostly ski tech. Cuff rotated outward is the "tech" setting. The new boot feels like the old boot with the cuff rotated outward. I think that probably most coaches and boot fitters just did not understand and or never experimented with the rotation.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
I think it probably makes sense to take the rotation out. The target market really is going to be academy kids and they mostly ski tech. Cuff rotated outward is the "tech" setting. The new boot feels like the old boot with the cuff rotated outward. I think that probably most coaches and boot fitters just did not understand and or never experimented with the rotation.
i am new to having fischer in my store, but i think there is a speed cuff available for this boot, it might be that has the internal rotation built into it, no idea as yet and our rep is away this week but i will speak to a few folks at our ski test in a10 days and see what is available

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
i am new to having fischer in my store, but i think there is a speed cuff available for this boot, it might be that has the internal rotation built into it, no idea as yet and our rep is away this week but i will speak to a few folks at our ski test in a10 days and see what is available
Collin, how do you see the Fischer plug in terms of last (anatomical shape, narrowness) compared to the other usual suspects?

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Collin, how do you see the Fischer plug in terms of last (anatomical shape, narrowness) compared to the other usual suspects?
i don't have my size in stock yet (and i struggle to get a 92mm lasted boot on even for a few minutes these days) but i had a client who was in the head WCR try it, he felt the fischer had les space in the forefoot but a better heel/ankle and cuff fit for him than the head (he is sponsored by head so can't just choose).... what he would have likd was the back end of the fischer with the front of the head on it, cut and shut style

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Let me know if you hear about a speed cuff. I’ve been asking and haven’t been able to find anything. When I saw the WC guys using the old boot I guessed there isn’t one (yet). If they have one I won’t have to add to my stockpile.

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier
I saw this on fischer's site for the current 2021/22 Podium RDs: "ZoneFit and Vacuum moldable at 120° C." Anyone actually done this on the new fischer RDs? Probably only needed to stretch out the shell but could be nice to save some time.
"Thermoshape polyurethane (TPU) material is the benchmark and industry standard for race products, as it offers superior ski boot "suspension" compared to polyamid or polypropylene mixtures. TPU makes for a phenomenal ski experience due to the rebound and energy transfer characteristics. ZoneFit and Vacuum moldable at 120° C."

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
Hey forum, it's been a while since I last checked in due to a foot operation to remove a nasty side bunion. To accommodate the recovering foot I got a pair of Redster 130 CS (95mm last) because I couldn't comfortably use my 150 STI (92mm) with Zipfit Gara Stealth. I was wondering if anyone has experienced the Fischer AFZ leather liners with cork inserts, in 92mm last. These come standard with the Podium and RD models 110 flex and up. Also curious how this liner compares to Zipfit Corsa. Thanks, Max

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Hey forum, it's been a while since I last checked in due to a foot operation to remove a nasty side bunion. To accommodate the recovering foot I got a pair of Redster 130 CS (95mm last) because I couldn't comfortably use my 150 STI (92mm) with Zipfit Gara Stealth. I was wondering if anyone has experienced the Fischer AFZ leather liners with cork inserts, in 92mm last. These come standard with the Podium and RD models 110 flex and up. Also curious how this liner compares to Zipfit Corsa. Thanks, Max
its way thinner than a zipfit corsa, especially round the midfoot/rearfoot, its how a world cup liner should be

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
its way thinner than a zipfit corsa, especially round the midfoot/rearfoot, its how a world cup liner should be
Interesting, I think I'll try a pair in my Redster STI. Is it so thin that it allows to downsize the shell?

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Interesting, I think I'll try a pair in my Redster STI. Is it so thin that it allows to downsize the shell?
careful what you wish for, i hate the term down sizing , how about right sizing, its not about the numbers , they are just the starting point, its about how much physical space there is and how much your feet really need, YOUR tolerance to compression is key not what anyone else says it should be because of what works for them. i see athletes who have skied in boots i wouldn't dream of fitting on any normal persons foot and equally athletes who's boots i would consider big but they simply cannot tolerate anything smaller, it is all about the individual and within parameters there is no real right and wrong only opinion and sensation

trouble is people get a number stuck in their heads and have to try and over think it until they get to that number

James

Out There
Instructor
trouble is people get a number stuck in their heads and have to try and over think it until they get to that number
Heh, I heard a story from a friend that’s similar. Years ago as kids, (so nearly 70years), their grandmother decide they all needed glasses. So she kept taking them to eye doctors until she found one to prescribe glasses. Only one of the four actually benefitted, and only slightly. The others simply didn't wear them.

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
careful what you wish for, i hate the term down sizing , how about right sizing, its not about the numbers , they are just the starting point, its about how much physical space there is and how much your feet really need, YOUR tolerance to compression is key not what anyone else says it should be because of what works for them. i see athletes who have skied in boots i wouldn't dream of fitting on any normal persons foot and equally athletes who's boots i would consider big but they simply cannot tolerate anything smaller, it is all about the individual and within parameters there is no real right and wrong only opinion and sensation

Thanks for this, I'll keep it in mind. I ordered a pair of Fischer 110 92mm to complement my Redster CS and STI 150. Really curious how the softer flex will feel in gates training, and if the Fischer liner plays nice with the STI shells.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Thanks for this, I'll keep it in mind. I ordered a pair of Fischer 110 92mm to complement my Redster CS and STI 150. Really curious how the softer flex will feel in gates training, and if the Fischer liner plays nice with the STI shells.
the question still remains, you have a 150 flex boot, a 130 flex boot and now a 110 flex boot....why? surely if the 150 or 130 is working for you the 110 is way too soft, or did you just buy softest one that had the liner that you wanted to try? a fischer race dealer could have ordered just the liner if that was the case

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
the question still remains, you have a 150 flex boot, a 130 flex boot and now a 110 flex boot....why? surely if the 150 or 130 is working for you the 110 is way too soft, or did you just buy softest one that had the liner that you wanted to try? a fischer race dealer could have ordered just the liner if that was the case
I was able buy a lightly used pair primarily to try out the liner. As a bonus I get to test the softer race boot and see what difference it makes in the gates

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
I was able buy a lightly used pair primarily to try out the liner. As a bonus I get to test the softer race boot and see what difference it makes in the gates
Write a feedback later when you try them :)

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
Write a feedback later when you try them :)
I have not yet skied them but here's first impressions of the liner. Compared to my ZipFit Gara's these are much slimmer, the 92mm last shows. Unlike the Gara's these fit nicely in a true race shell. I really like the liner features: removable tongue, fully laced, velcro spoilers, very supple leather (kangaroo?) and surprisingly ample amounts of pliable cork paste (?) around the ankle to fixate the heel. The ankle filling and leather both feel really supple, much more so than the stiff ZipFit materials. The neoprene toebox is slightly less roomy. I can't help wondering if Fischer copied or co-developed these liners with ZipFit. For sure this is how I imagined a Zipfit liner for race shells should be

Last edited:

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
20230422_152631.jpg

Here's how the liners compare, I removed the Fischer's cuff while breaking in the liner. I do have a question: as you can see on the Zipfits, the pressure from my pinky toe has worn through the neoprene: even the Gara toebox does not fully accommodate my wide front feet. Since the Fischers are less roomy I will need to modify the toebox in the pinky toe area. Maybe this can simply be cutting some slits through the neoprene. Tips ideas and suggestions are most welcome

Last edited:

Sponsor