• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Fischer Podium race boot

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The new Fischer Podium race plug boot. This looks like basically an all new boot when compared to the current Podium. New molds, new liner and a much simplified architecture compared to the current boot. There are boots on the feet of some racers now. Apparently this boot is aimed more at tech skiers - I don't know if there is a special boot for speed, or if speedsters might stick with the old boot. The biggest difference is the changes in how the cuff attaches to the clog the figure eight looking spine insert is gone, so you no longer have the option to rotate the cuff relative to the clog. The gap at the the back between cuff and clog is much shorter, and cuff alignment is... well it's a question mark to me of whether you even can align it, but the old silver, black and red plugs on the sides are no longer present. Also, there is more space under the 2nd buckle from the top which allows it to flex farther without binding against the clog. I'm hoping to take a pair to the boot fitter, make a LOT of yellow dust and give some hands-on feedback this winter.

D2B3FA99-47EC-4795-98F8-A2F27933BAAF.jpeg
F931D794-46B1-4780-AC4E-188F9C058B01.jpeg
6BB6A9B2-9BF4-4EA5-AED3-CA0396B6AA93.jpeg

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Thanks! That cuff alignment adjustment does look suspiciously minimal (to non-existent). Kind of like the Dobie WC.

Any word on the Fischer Ranger boots? I heard that maybe those are getting some cuff alignment capability?

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've never skied on anything from Fischer, but something about the brand/color/look attracts me to their products, bot skis and boots. I'm rocking very old Nordica Speedmachine boots these days. I am hesitant to upset the apple cart as they seem to work well for me (AFAIK), but I do think it's time for new boots next season. I wish their boot fitting app would work for me, it tells me my feet are grossly miss-sized, despite that not being the case. I may give the app a go again to see if it has fixed itself as SW is apt to do given time to think about what it has done. :)

Looking forward to some feedback on the boots in terms of both performance and livability.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've never skied on anything from Fischer, but something about the brand/color/look attracts me to their products, bot skis and boots. I'm rocking very old Nordica Speedmachine boots these days. I am hesitant to upset the apple cart as they seem to work well for me (AFAIK), but I do think it's time for new boots next season. I wish their boot fitting app would work for me, it tells me my feet are grossly miss-sized, despite that not being the case. I may give the app a go again to see if it has fixed itself as SW is apt to do given time to think about what it has done. :)

Looking forward to some feedback on the boots in terms of both performance and livability.

A huge selection of their boots (for non-competition ) still have the thermoldable vacuum technology, so if you're just recreationally skiing, that should take care of a lot of whatever weird feet issue you have without a lot of brainwork.

I just had my new pair of Fischer vacuum done (21 Curv gt 120), and pre-mold I would have rejected the fit as horrible; but after vacuum it all felt very natural. Unfortunately this means you can't tell too much just with the boot or shell fit, and you'll have to put some trust in the bootfitter that this boot is right and many issues will work out in the mold process.

Last edited:
TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
The cuff has the same degree of left/right adjustment as the previous generations Podium and Technique boot.

Good to know! I was hoping that's the case. Does it involve changing out parts or do you just use what is there?

Berlow94

Booting up
Skier
The round pieces installed on the boots in your pictures have 1 dimple mark on them.
They are offset and can be oriented in 2 different positions.
In addition to the 1 dimple insert, Fischer makes a 2 dimple insert which can also be oriented in 2 different positions.
So same total degree of overall adjustment when compared to the black/grey/red puck system.

With that all being said, the black/grey/red puck system as well as Fischer’s 3D cuff alignment system are still being used on the Podium GT boot. The Podium GT is just now painted Yellow like the Podium RD instead of black.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Picked up my new shoes today!
3B67B8A3-4D6D-4B24-BB37-417CF0C9E60E.jpeg
BF766A2F-80FF-4DF8-BC0B-4FEC011DB9A3.jpeg
E268AE58-237A-471D-9F2B-AFFA0C2AF0A0.jpeg

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Yeah, I think that is gone. I'm waiting for cuff alignment hardware to show up. As you can see, I had the cuffs on my old boots turned inward. Should be getting these on snow tomorrow and start getting them dialed for next season. I think it's interesting that the front of the cuff is higher.

Washed up

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
New on board here and late to the discussion, but I've been told the newest version is a very close copy of the Lange plug boot. At the same time, I was told the same thing about the last podium version which turned out to not really be the case. It seems like this is a common claim in the boot world.

Erik Timmerman, you mention that the liners are different. I feel like they seem almost identical to the last version as well. I've held both in my hands and don't recall seeing a discernable difference. I have an athlete with very finicky feet (long and skinny) who has really only found success with the Lange plug boot. He's being encouraged to try the RD but I wonder if it's worth it, as he came out of the last rendition of the podium and found the Lange to work much better for him. The RD certainly looks like a solid boot, but maybe closer to my favorite Doberman(?)

Last edited:

Greg Whitehouse

California Ski Co.
Industry Insider
Thanks! That cuff alignment adjustment does look suspiciously minimal (to non-existent). Kind of like the Dobie WC.

Any word on the Fischer Ranger boots? I heard that maybe those are getting some cuff alignment capability?
That would be hard to do on a Ranger or any other walk mode boot. Changing the cuff alignment would foul the ski/walk mode alignment. I will take a second look at the Ranger but do not recall any cuff alignment capability.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Actually I have been skiing in my old ones, not really getting along with the new ones. Hoping to address that in January once things slow down. I actually broke my old boots on Monday and ordered a pair of NOS boots as backups just in case I can't make the RDs work for me.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually I have been skiing in my old ones, not really getting along with the new ones. Hoping to address that in January once things slow down. I actually broke my old boots on Monday and ordered a pair of NOS boots as backups just in case I can't make the RDs work for me.
Which shows what intractable beasts are boots.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
So yeah, cuff alignment. The new boot is in the middle, the old boots are left and my new pair of old boots is on the right. I could not get the new boot to work for me like the old boot so I just ponied up for a new pair of the old boots. The cuff rotated inward is supposedly how the speed guys run their boots so I tried to find out if the speed guys have a different version of the new boot. Couldn't find anything, but my internet sleuthing revealed that at least Sam Morse is still running the old boot. I"m still hoping to discover that a rotated cuff for the new boot exists.

Sponsor

Staff online