• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 FIFA World Cup

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
There are leagues in other countries too... most notably the Japanese professional league... featuring the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters!
Wait, so baseball is played outside of the US?

So the "World Series" should include the winner of the Japanese league playing against the US against the Canadian, right? :roflmao:

Nah, Japanese don't play baseball. They just play ball. It may look like baseball, but it's not. That's why they're never in the "World" series. Or maybe it's really just Japan isn't part of the "world" in baseball watchers mind...

(it is the best known "American joke" in professional sport circle. Outside the US. of course)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I always thought the World Series was named for the New York World newspaper but per wiki it seems this is now disputed???

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ok folks. I think we are all losing on it. How many days until the next world cup? :roflmao:

As of Christmas Day it will be 1261 days to start and 1286 days to end. Varies a day or so depending on where you live.

Canada, USA and Mexico hosting.

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
dang, I ask a question around some obscure sporting events, go to sleep and when I wake up and there's like 3 pages explaining that basically noone outside of the US plays those games

Now, can we get on the topic of AFL and its World Series final (aka Grand Final)?

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
American?
I meant the Australian Football League

It's possibly played in as many countries as american football :cool:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So for 2026 Americas FIFA World Cup.. What's the breakdown of where the knockout rounds and final will be played? Have they designated actual venue locations yet or is it still just somewhere in Mexico, Canada, and USA TBD??

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So for 2026 Americas FIFA World Cup.. What's the breakdown of where the knockout rounds and final will be played? Have they designated actual venue locations yet or is it still just somewhere in Mexico, Canada, and USA TBD??
I know the final is in the swamp at MetLife stadium...

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hope you've got Diana Ross lined up to miss an open goal in the opening ceremony. Would be a fine tribute to World Cup history ( and the US place in the pantheon of men's international football ;) - no slight on the women they kick ass)

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
I understood that they would publish in 2024 where the games (incl opening and final) would take place.
I guess opening is likely to be in Mexico and final in that New York stadium, but who knows.
If Canada throws around some cash maybe all games will be played there

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I understood that they would publish in 2024 where the games (incl opening and final) would take place.
I guess opening is likely to be in Mexico and final in that New York stadium, but who knows.
If Canada throws around some cash maybe all games will be played there
Canada don't care.. We'll take our 3 games at BMO Field and be happy..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The venues are all selected but the games are not yet assigned.

2026 World Cup host cities

USA (11)

Atlanta – Mercedes-Benz Stadium
Boston – Gillette Stadium
Dallas – AT&T Stadium
Houston – NRG Stadium
Kansas City – Arrowhead Stadium
Los Angeles – SoFi Stadium
Miami – Hard Rock Stadium
New York/New Jersey – MetLife Stadium
Philadelphia – Lincoln Financial Field
San Francisco – Levi’s Stadium
Seattle – Lumen Field

Canada (2)

Toronto – BMO Field
Vancouver – BC Place

Mexico (3)

Guadalajara – Estadio Akron
Mexico City – Estadio Azteca
Monterrey – Estadio BBVA

It will also have a format change to 48 teams instead of 32. The group stage may still change but right now the two leading options seem to be:

-- 16 groups of 3 with only 2 round robin games played per team and the top two in each group advancing to a new 32 team knockout stage
-- 12 groups of 4, played similarly to the current format, but with only the top 4 second place finishers advancing to a 16 team knockout stage (how you determine those 4 fairly, I have no idea); Or with the top 2 and some of the third place finishers advancing, with the same issue, to a 32 team knockout

The problem with the 16 group format is the way the schedule would lay out to potentially give advantage to teams that play later, or to create more meaningless games in the 3rd group games, or other shenanigans that the current format manages to mostly avoid.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
^ Gees... better put their skates on. Come Christmas they'll only have 1261 days to figure all this out.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
32 team knockout round sounds like MADNESS! Perfect MADNESS! I want that! Bracket Challenges FTW!

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Coming late to this...the most remarkable game I've seen and I'm a very casual soccer fan. Just amazing!

As for what happened on stage after...I'm not a fan of that. Its poor taste but I guess they can do what they want.

James

Out There
Instructor
I guess it was good I ended the replay after the shootout. Nothing to unsee. It’s generally just dumb questions and answers after, then it goes downhill.

Sponsor

Staff online