• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyone go up to Snowbird today and could offer thoughts for tomorrow?

Much thanks

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
Anyone go up to Snowbird today and could offer thoughts for tomorrow?

Much thanks

Pretty empty as you might imagine. Off piste did not ski well in the morning - crusty sticky crud, but the groomers were fine. As it warmed everything skied better and I finally ventured through some gates. The groomers that became almost slushy were especially enjoyable.

A lot of this will likely freeze over by tomorrow, and get dusted with an inch or two, and the temps should hold around freezing.

Tomorrow I'm planning to hit Alta. That should be interesting as it closed prior to last week's storm that dropped ~12 inches. Probably end up back at Snowbird on Monday, will you be around?

DonC

Skier
Alta today began with frozen over courderoy and crud. The sun and temps softened things up pretty quickly and by the end of the day it was hero slush. Temps will stay above freezing tonight.

Should be overcast tomorrow with a slight chance of rain. If anyone will be at snowbird tomorrow and would like to meet up please drop a message.

DonC

Skier
This thread seems pretty dead, but wth.

Since there was no overnight deep freeze there was soft terrain from the get go at Snowbird. Spent much of the day alternating between mineral basin and little cloud. Again plenty of slushy runs where pretty much anyone could make any shape turn at any speed. Come get some before it melts away.

After five days here my legs are shot and I'm heading back to Boston tonight. I eave it to others to keep this updated (Come on, look at the NE thread going strong. Where are the SLC locals?)

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seasons over.

Personally I am climbing as much as I can the next few weeks to prepare for summer in the mountains.

I may get another tour or two in just depends onthe weather

Last edited:

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I thunk everyone else is coming back from or going to moab right now.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Feels more like 98% of Utahns ski on powder weekends when im trying to get up LCC!

changing it up next year, went back to the BCC pass. at least that road usually doesn't close on storm days. - I am going to miss Alta tho

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Feels more like 98% of Utahns ski on powder weekends when im trying to get up LCC!

changing it up next year, went back to the BCC pass. at least that road usually doesn't close on storm days. - I am going to miss Alta tho
Traffic up the canyons is getting horrifying on a pow day regardless of the week. While the overall ski numbers over the last decade are flat, it really is a tale of two halves in the USA. The Western USA has grown (Utah in particular has seen significant growth) while the East has lost numbers.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Would you guys say it is almost guaranteed now that the LCC access road will close between 6-8AM any time it snows more than about 6" the night before? Personally, as bad as you guys think the traffic is, I still like that they offer free parking up in LCC. What are the pros/cons if they were to permanently close LCC to regular traffic and make all day-trippers take a shuttle from the base of the canyon? Is that something that is feasible or is it many decades from being a reality?

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
6 inches doesnt shut down the canyon. but if we get a foot and the snow levels are down to the Valley u can bet on delays/closures. I got stuck waiting at the base of the canyon more this year than the previous 3 years combined. not sure if they are being more cautious or what. I mean we got 200 more inches last season and I don't recall it being a major issue getting up there in time for first chair. I dont like the shuttle idea, it would be hard to bring a grill and cooler with ya ;)

yeah Utahs popluation boom is in full swing. the roads are a disaster everywhere during rush hour its insane

Headed to Alta Sunday , Cheers!

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Would you guys say it is almost guaranteed now that the LCC access road will close between 6-8AM any time it snows more than about 6" the night before? Personally, as bad as you guys think the traffic is, I still like that they offer free parking up in LCC. What are the pros/cons if they were to permanently close LCC to regular traffic and make all day-trippers take a shuttle from the base of the canyon? Is that something that is feasible or is it many decades from being a reality?
More likely in a low snow year when the stability is hosed for 3/4 of the season.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There has been talk of making it a toll road recently which would help push more to a shuttle-bus. I don’t see it being closed and would happy to pay for less traffic up the canyon.

Sponsor

Staff online