• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
The season opening avalanche on hourglass is becoming a new annual tradition. Third (fourth?) year in a row? 3 feet of wet snow in less than 48 hours with heavy wind loading... who could have seen this coming?

Glad everyone was okay (more or less). But jeez.

So, were there any injuries this time?

JayT

Tahoe Powder Junkie
Skier
So, were there any injuries this time?

Sounds like some scratches and bruises and one broken ankle, but that's not so bad relatively speaking. Easy access to the road there (slides often go right across it) so no assistance getting out or anything like that.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The season opening avalanche on hourglass is becoming a new annual tradition. Third (fourth?) year in a row? 3 feet of wet snow in less than 48 hours with heavy wind loading... who could have seen this coming?

Glad everyone was okay (more or less). But jeez.

It's a whole new snow-pack now. I went poking around out by Carson Pass today. The bulk of the new snow is frozen solid & the wind was blowing the little bit of drier snow around exposing lots of glacial type ice. It will be interesting to see how this solid layer plays out over the season. Is it still vulnerable to the basil facets underneath? Will it be a long term slick layer for deep, fresh snow to slide off of like my metal roof. Will warm weather & possible rain this week soften it enough for new snow bonding?
In the mean time, this is great for the resorts terrain above 8000' where it has created a solid plaster over lots of sharp, base damaging shrapnel :). .

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Rose was still skiing really well today, at least in the morning before the crowds.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Got out to Carson Pass yesterday. What a great day to be outside...
BB925C2D-8F3B-4A4D-ABB6-53B1345DBC80.jpeg

More in BC forum:
New season? Sure seems like it.
I went out to Carson pass Saturday afternoon just to poke around, but didn’t do any real skiing. This morning I teamed up with my neighbor for a return & some turns.

We ended up skiing 4 separate lines all with good wind buffed conditions
View attachment 33508

View attachment 33509

View attachment 33510

View attachment 33511

View attachment 33512

Surrounded by a shiney, slick, thick rain crust & a few suspiciously wind loaded areas.
View attachment 33507

Lex P

Booting up
Skier
Hit Squaw yesterday with low expectations and was surprised at the amount of coverage, zero crowds, and good quality snow for early November. Just skied some easy runs and did no hiking as I'm having some ankle gel injections (stupid timing on my part) and was told not to ski by the doctor. Right. No good pics to share.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mount rose was excellent at the weekend. Basically the whole mountain open bar the chutes. And good coverage, no damage. Best snow I have seen this early probably in the 11 years I have been here. Pictures from slide side on Saturday

IMG_0257.JPG IMG_0258.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0259.JPG
    IMG_0259.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 0

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Hit Squaw yesterday with low expectations and was surprised at the amount of coverage, zero crowds, and good quality snow for early November. Just skied some easy runs and did no hiking as I'm having some ankle gel injections (stupid timing on my part) and was told not to ski by the doctor. Right. No good pics to share.
I was also at Squaw yesterday for my day one. Rather good conditions for day 1. Skiing was on Gold Coast and Emigrant chairs.only but hiking to top of Mainline Pocket and Siberia bowl was allowed (I passed except for partial hikes & traversing) . Funnel and Shirley areas looked good but were not open. Siberia chair was "scheduled" and ran most of the day but no riding was allowed on the lift.. Puzzling?

Mostly an inch or 2 of packed snow on top of a more firm base and little or no snow below 8000 ft. Open windblown areas had small shiny patches of clear ice. These could be easily avoided if you watched closely where you were going. R*** possible later today.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Rose snow was pretty good for a bit this morning. Starting to get gooey and the mist is turning to rain. Visibility on the Slide side was not good. Here's a pic of @Philpug floating in the vertigo. 20171120_092741.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Rose snow was pretty good for a bit this morning. Starting to get gooey and the mist is turning to rain. Visibility on the Slide side was not good. Here's a pic of @Philpug floating in the vertigo. View attachment 33538
You can't even tell of I am above or below him.

@Tricia did get to try out her new ski shoes.

IMG_1581.JPG

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like you're above him to me, but maybe 45 degrees off his fall line (ie if fall line is N, you're at NW)? Just guessing.
I took the photo from above @Philpug. Couldn't really tell where the fall line was!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online