• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayT

Tahoe Powder Junkie
Skier
What's the latest on Heavenly as far as terrain openings? Is there much up top? Thinking about hitting it on Monday after the storm if Sugar Bowl still isn't open.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What skis are you skiing? I don't know which skis to use next week, since I've never had more than one set. I have Great Joys and old, heavy Nordica Conquers.
@Tricia was on DPS Cassiar 87's. I had the K2 Iconic 84s. @Philpug was also on DPS's. The way the snow was today (hard early, getting soft fast) something under 100 with sidecut would be good. Variable conditions from run to run and from top to bottom.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia was on DPS Cassiar 87's. I had the K2 Iconic 84s. @Philpug was also on DPS's. The way the snow was today (hard early, getting soft fast) something under 100 with sidecut would be good. Variable conditions from run to run and from top to bottom.
Thank you. Both of my sets are under 100. I guess I'll take them both up since it might snow early next week.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
What's the latest on Heavenly as far as terrain openings? Is there much up top? Thinking about hitting it on Monday after the storm if Sugar Bowl still isn't open.
So far the only runs open at Heavenly look like Orion, California Trail and beginner runs and a connector or two. So you have both Comet and Dipper feeding Orion Run which sounds like a real WROD.

See https://www.skiheavenly.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/terrain-and-lift-status.aspx#/Lifts for details. If they have much wind on Sun/Mon they may not be able to open anything. I'm thinking Kirkwood is the better choice assuming you have a pass valid there. I keep thinking about going and see the lows well above freezing and stay away.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
my personal rule for heavenly is when thre 4 eastpeak runs are open, then its worth going up (dipper orion comet aries).
if orion is open, but dipper and comet aren't open, that a clue that things are thin.
But my costs are also the commute from the bay and lodging, so the math is different if you're already there.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
my personal rule for heavenly is when thre 4 eastpeak runs are open, then its worth going up (dipper orion comet aries).
if orion is open, but dipper and comet aren't open, that a clue that things are thin.
But my costs are also the commute from the bay and lodging, so the math is different if you're already there.
Hi @raytseng - We shared a chair at Kirkwood. I think it was last season, but could have been the one before. I think we are saying the same thing (don't go to Heavenly yet unless you are already there and on a pass that is not blacked out and just want to get in some turns and edited to add don't mind overcrowded runs) your post could use some clarification (and more capitalization wouldn't hurt).

While East Peak Lodge is at the bottom of Dipper and Comet chairs, East Peak is at the top of Olympic Chair (and long ago removed East Peak chair). And while you and I both know you mean Big Dipper Run the main run to E (skiers right) of Dipper Chair, there are a number of other runs with Dipper in their name including Dipper Bowl and Dipper Line from Dipper Chair and Little Dipper, the usually moguled run under Comet chair.

I'm not sure what is open from Comet chair or if it is really running, but if both it and Dipper are open with Orion the only way down, I'd go elsewhere. Usually the best way to find out what is open at Heavenly is to text Heavenly to 99-000, but that will not be up until December. I was thinking about Kirkwood on Sunday, but seeing warm temps and high winds predicted at start of storm, I may hold off until Monday.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The feedback I've gotten from friends who ski the Epic resorts, is that Heavenly was a shit show, especially with the Northstar overflow.
@Andrew is a coach at Northstar and said that they're bussing his team to Kirkwood to train today.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
lol, yes tony has corrected my mistakes and got the details rightogsmile. skiing havenly in early season, on a weekends, with gondola only access are a way to test your zen patience, indeed.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Rose was actually skiing pretty good today. Dust on crust, softening up. There were a few spots where, if you brought your clubs, you could play from patch to patch of grass. Hoping for some snow with cold weather!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
lol, yes tony has corrected my mistakes and got the details rightogsmile. skiing havenly in early season, on a weekends, with gondola only access are a way to test your zen patience, indeed.
a88c35360467692383a0c8132d2a6cb7--inner-peace-tattoo-inspiration.jpg

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I've had Heavenly's twitter feed open on my laptop and they said Saturday "We are at capacity at the Gondola for sightseeing as of 1:30pm". I've never been stuck in it, but have heard of long lines to download the Gondola when that is the only way to get to/from skiing. They also said "We will resume sightseeing ticket sales and operations @8:30am tomorrow morning", but that is no longer true as they said shortly after 7:30 AM they will be closed Sunday "as wind speeds continue to increase."

Hoping it cools down before the storm moves out as my phone says mid-50s this AM at SLT and Truckee. San Jose set a record high for the date of 80 on Saturday and it was even warmer at house. The old record was 76 and set in 1959. We have hardly run our heater this November although I did see frost on well insulated roofs one morning.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Come on @Philpug and @Tricia, let's go to Rose! How bad can it be? 2 runs.
Screenshot_2017-11-26-09-53-27.png

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Top of Carson pass was a complete mess on my way home. Lots of travelers that don't watch the weather and don't run snows. Yeah Im ready !

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Top of Carson pass was a complete mess on my way home. Lots of travelers that don't watch the weather and don't run snows. Yeah Im ready !
It was snowing!?! :) :)
Any accumulation? All rain so far at lake level, what do you think the snow level was on Carson?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Come on @Philpug and @Tricia, let's go to Rose! How bad can it be? 2 runs.
View attachment 33889
Well, it wasn't THAT bad, but dang that wind.

Meanwhile, the Tahoe Ski report says....
TAHOE SKI & RIDE REPORT
Sunday, November 26, 2017
Today we saw very challenging conditions and extremely high winds, to the point that we were unable to safely operate lifts at Squaw Valley. At the top of Siberia Express, maximum wind gusts of 115 mph were recorded by the National Weather Service. We were able to run Kangaroo chair at Alpine Meadows.

The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory in effect through tomorrow at 10am. Throughout the day today, temps have been getting colder and the rain has progressively transitioned to snow. Until we thoroughly examine conditions on the upper mountain, which was mostly inaccessible all day today, it’s hard to anticipate tomorrow’s operations schedule. We will send an update tomorrow morning.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
It was snowing!?! :) :)
Any accumulation? All rain so far at lake level, what do you think the snow level was on Carson?
Right at about 8k the roads were bad. Luther was wet still but at Kirkwood base it was just starting to stick as I left. Nice heavy slop so far.I bet by now its hammering there.

Status
Not open for further replies.