• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VW Scandal...It continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting new development is that VW has hired a "Claims Administrator" to develop a compensation program for owners of the diesel engines. The process will offer owners compensation without having to endure lengthy legal delays. No specifics yet, but, the below is a good read.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...en-feinberg-to-handle-diesel-emissions-claims
I think that is very good and very smart on VW's behalf, they know they have to pay out and would rather not have that money go to lawyers. I am interested in seeing what they come up with and I like that they are trying to avoid the litigation process especially with these class action suits. With a fair settlement, I have no problem waiving my right to sue VW. My only concern here is that any claim would need to be applied to a VW product because there is none that fit our needs. I cannot see them putting $5-7K to fix a 2010 with 130K on it when the value is only $8-9k...

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
After a couple hours in the DMV we have a provisional registration. The car is still in the shop so it's not driving or polluting yet. But it looks like we will be able to - until we need a smog. It's a 2014 so new enough to be exempt from smog for a year or two.

Waiting for my VW swag? We are in the system now!

Of course, the DMV lady laughed at us when she saw what we paid - then really laughed when she saw it was a salvage still in the shop.

Eric

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We just got our care package. Waiting to see what happens next.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Still say the problem is NOT VW but the useless test that has no real world value. I again commend VW for making a proper driving powertrain as the number one requirement.
EPA can kiss my ass
(and this is from a former UNHAPPY VW owner)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
VW made a huge error in judgement by circumventing the EPA test. That makes me mad. On the other hand, the amount of pollution coming from our '14 Passat, even if it is 40x the limit, is negligible. 40x almost nothing is still not a lot. I'll continue to drive the car and justify it by burning less fuel to go the same distance.

Now, on to the fix. I'm surprised it's taken this long. When the news first hit I read Germany was giving VW ten days to come up with a fix or the cars wouldn't be allowed on the road in Germany. Haven't seen more on that. It seems like the whole thing has been swept under the rug in the US. Nothing new in months.

The good will gesture is a joke. I realize it is not the end offer (supposedly) but $500 at VW for parts I don't need, $500 for anywhere (that doesn't cover the depreciation), and roadside assistance (don't need it as we have AAA). I'll take it but I hope they have something better in mind for the future and especially for those with older cars.

I wonder if there is a credit card swap going on somewhere? My VW card for your Visa card!

James

Out There
Instructor
Still say the problem is NOT VW but the useless test that has no real world value. I again commend VW for making a proper driving powertrain as the number one requirement.
EPA can kiss my ass
(and this is from a former UNHAPPY VW owner)
Ha. Europe is a mess with air pollution thanks to the useless testing of European regulators. Anyone who's been to Milan, Rome, now Paris and London at the wrong time has seen it and smelled it.
Your comment has no real world value. Lol.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I was talking today to a friend who has a VW diesel and he has no interest in getting it "fixed" as he is quite happy with the current power and economy and since we have no vehicle testing in sparsely populated British Columbia he is happy to drive it as is, knowing he will probably not be able to get another VW diesel in the future with fuel economy and power that is this good.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Makes you wonder how much of the savings from scale advantage they've been enjoying is about to get transferred to the US. The politics of this could hardly be worse for VW. Funny how the world works sometimes.

James

Out There
Instructor
Vw the company has been an incestuous soap opera. Has only to do with their world.

James

Out There
Instructor
One department fines them and another wants to bail them out?!? :doh:
That's the House. Too many crazy people in there.
But, there's plenty of people here who feel they did nothing wrong. It's the Epa's fault that VW lied, cheated, and made claims about their engines they knew were blatant lies. It's clean diesel only when being tested in a lab. Instead of advancing diesel tech they've now set it back and possibly killed it for small engines.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One department fines them and another wants to bail them out?!? :doh:

When viewed from afar the US government for some time now has appeared dysfunctional. Just way too much hateful fighting between and within the Republicans and Democrats. OTOH in Canada our governments, both Federal and Provincial, regardless of political stripe, have for the most part merely been incompetent.:(

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When viewed from afar the US government for some time now has appeared dysfunctional. Just way too much hateful fighting between and within the Republicans and Democrats. OTOH in Canada our governments, both Federal and Provincial, regardless of political stripe, have for the most part merely been incompetent.:(
LOL, it is like one parent punishing a child then the other parent bringing him milk and cookies as a reward. I am sure it will be us, the consumer will be the ones left out in the cold.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Before anyone exits overly excited about a new law designed to save VW from a class action, let's remember that VW has hired a customer claims administrator ( see posts at the top of this page) in an effort to avoid litigation and get $$$ to their customers faster. VW has admitted guilt, the question is how much do the individual owners get. Let the process proceed. I would fear the US Govt and individual states could suck up most of the funds. Most will agree that class actions are far more profitable for the legal profession, and, the abused party gets little compensation.

I hope Pugski never has a political discussion forum, never participated in the Epic version. If people never know my political leanings, that is fine by me as I am not interested in yours, and, that is the last I will say on this topic.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a line on a real nice used Forester, If I was able to get a fair number for my Jetta, I would be back in a Subie but I don't want to do anything until there is some sort of fair resolution.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a line on a real nice used Forester, If I was able to get a fair number for my Jetta, I would be back in a Subie but I don't want to do anything until there is some sort of fair resolution.

Is there anything that prevents you from selling your Jetta diesel in a State that does not do annual testing and where presumably diesel owners can continue to drive these cars without the penalty of getting a "fix" because there is no test to pass?

In these no testing States I would assume the market price for these diesels would remain strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor