• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VW Atlas - new mid-sized, 3-row SUV

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Saw it at the Toronto Auto show. Looked nice and there were some being pre-sold as a shipment was coming in for delivery in the next couple of weeks (that was 2 weeks ago). I didn't look to close as I already got an F150 at xmas.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thats pretty good. I am sure it will ruffle some feathers.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
I saw one in the wild today. I was surprised since the dealer doesn't have them or much information.

A big black SUV drove past while I was at a light, it didn't really register what it was until it was mostly past. Looked very nice and ... big.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Drove one yesterday. Drives great, there's been some talk about it being underpowered, but I didn't think so. It accelerates nicely from stop and onto the highway etc. I was at 80mph without really thinking about it. Passing at highway speeds isn't going to blow your mind, but seemed fine to me. It has a solid driving feel and cornered nicely on some twisty roads, the salesmen even encouraged me to push it through the turns. Has a weirdly small steering wheel compared to my TDi, salesman said VW is using the smaller ones in all the cars now. Not sure about that and didn't test it out. I'd get used to it though.

It does have plenty of space, I sat in the third row and felt I could spend a long ride there if needed, the folding seat makes it very easy to get into. There's a decent amount of cargo space behind the third rows and it becomes huge when you fold the 3rd row down.

I drove the SE with Tech. Right now they only have the S Launch, SE + tech, and the SEL models available. All only with 4motion. I'm looking at the Base SE which will be available in a couple months. Though they did offer me $1k off the $40k SE tech one I drove, it's still more than I want to spend, so hoping I can work a good deal for the SE when it's available.

I don't really understand the Launch version, upgraded the S with the sunroof and bigger touch screen, but they really should have ditched the sunroof and gone with heated power seats. I think a lot of those will languish on the lot, at least in northern states.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Took mine home today. Blue SE 4Motion.
atlas.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Dadskier good looking truck. I have seen two on the road already. it took months before I saw my first Alltrack.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Dadskier good looking truck. I have seen two on the road already. it took months before I saw my first Alltrack.

My salesman said they had only gotten 9 in and have sold 12. They have none left and are waiting for another shipment this week. I also got the only blue on in New England. The factory only sent out certain models in the first run. Seems if you want a special color or some of the other configurations they aren't even going into production until the beginning of July.

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
Went to a VW dealer to check this truck out. I was amazed how huge it is, especially in the 2nd row passenger seats. This sounds crazy, but my only gripe is that there is no retractable cargo cover. I was told that because it has third row seats, they decided not to have one availabe. I would have the 3rd row folded 99% of the time. And for when I have my golf clubs and cart in the back during golf season, I want them to be hidden. Similarly when leaving packages in the back in parking lots when shopping. Anyone know if after market covers can be bought and installed? That is IF I decide to go with the Atlas rather than the Alltrack.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Went to a VW dealer to check this truck out. I was amazed how huge it is, especially in the 2nd row passenger seats. This sounds crazy, but my only gripe is that there is no retractable cargo cover. I was told that because it has third row seats, they decided not to have one availabe. I would have the 3rd row folded 99% of the time. And for when I have my golf clubs and cart in the back during golf season, I want them to be hidden. Similarly when leaving packages in the back in parking lots when shopping. Anyone know if after market covers can be bought and installed? That is IF I decide to go with the Atlas rather than the Alltrack.
AS far as the rear cover, I am the complete opposite, the first thing I did when I got home was take the cover out and put it in storage, something that I have done with everyone of my dozens of wagons. I put my seat backs down and up constantly when I putting skis and such in the back and the cover just gets in the way. It soulds like you and I are at two ands of the spectrum and I am sure that the majority of the others out there fit in the middle somewhere. I will say with the dark tinted windows security is less of an issue than in years past.

As far as an aftermarket one? Chances are no since it be such a propiatary peice and to retryfit it would not be cost effective. I understand there will be a 5 passenger version of the Atlas, not sure if that one will have a cover and if the interior panels will be different.

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
I see where you are coming from Phil. Plus living here in NYC/LI there is much more chance of having my car broken into that where you live. Good thought about the tinted windows though. Didn't think about this.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The easiest solution to both, is limo tint your rear windows. There are a few +/- on this issue.

+ if done right
Looks cool
Car is cooler inside
Don't care about tailgaters with high beams, dim at best
Passengers feel special (you know they are;) sarcastically)
Hides your stuff for all but the most prying eyes

-
Can look like garbage done wrong
Backing up is a pain, its black.
If you've had the drivers windows done wrong, ticket magnet.

Cheers

Sponsor

Staff online