• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VW Atlas - new mid-sized, 3-row SUV

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This sounds crazy, but my only gripe is that there is no retractable cargo cover. I was told that because it has third row seats, they decided not to have one availabe.
I am the complete opposite, the first thing I did when I got home was take the cover out and put it in storage,
I'm the same as Phil in this regard, even before he and I met IRL. I had several Jeep Grand Cherokees, a Ford Explorer and the Yukon XL. I took the cargo cover out of every one of them on the first day and had to remember where it was when it was time to sell the car. In fact, I should probably try to remember where the cargo cover is for the Yukon. Did I leave it in Michigan? :doh:

But, like you, we rarely use the third row seats in the Yukon. Most of the time they're in our storage shed, but when they are needed, its sure handy to have.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
When I got mine the cargo cover was an option (but just not available yet) and the cut-outs for it are in the truck so I think they will eventually come out with it. The windows are tinted pretty dark and the rear doors have additional sunshades you can pull up. I usually have the third row up so I don't think I'll really need the cover.

Choosing between the Alltrack and Atlas seems kind of an odd comparison ... maybe check out the new Tiquan? My dealer had a couple of those in when I went in for the 30 day check-up.

Quick 30 day review:
  • The space inside is enormous, I fit an Ikea couch, dresser, 2 carpets, plus two kids into the car recently. Adults can ride comfortably in the 3rd row.
  • I've had a few people stop and ask me about it. I've never had a car where people do that.
  • MPG isn't great, I'm getting about 20 a tank on mixed driving. I do hit 23/24 on the highway. This is particularly tough coming from a TDi ... but the biggest issue is I just wish it had a bigger tank. It would make me feel better psychologically if I could get 400 miles or more in a tank, usually fill up around 300 these days.
  • Biggest annoyance is the auto start stop function, by default the car shuts off when you stop at a light or anything to save fuel. But most stops are too short and it has to start up seconds after shutting down and if you have a few lights in a row ... just feels like the starter will wear down pretty quick. Also if you are running AC it stops pumping cool air. There is an override button right in front of the shifter so It's become habit to just turn it off when I start the car. You can't turn it off entirely unless you use a VCDS.
  • I think they've had some production issues, supply is limited and special orders are taking a long time. I've heard everything from something being wrong to supplier issues. I'm not sure how I got mine so fast, but lots of people doing special orders are being told October for delivery. And if you want the captains chairs or something like the R line, I don't believe those will even be in production until the Fall.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
AS far as the rear cover, I am the complete opposite, the first thing I did when I got home was take the cover out and put it in storage, something that I have done with everyone of my dozens of wagons.

We are doing our roof on our house right now so there is a big dumpster in the yard. Perfect chance to clean up the garage and barn. I threw away 4 of the retractable covers that have never been used.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
What could have been ... An Atlas owner on VWVortex shared this pic, he has the digital cockpit and a software glitch has it displaying diesel as the fuel as well as the low rpm tachometer.

fce94375842e0c0fd97aa120e5fe1025.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What could have been ... An Atlas owner on VWVortex shared this pic, he has the digital cockpit and a software glitch has it displaying diesel as the fuel as well as the low rpm tachometer.

fce94375842e0c0fd97aa120e5fe1025.jpg
I am happy to keep my analog gauges.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, and you have to wonder if it's just the display or if the computer regulating the engine like a diesel?
Buyback coming? ;)

I remember a Volvo XC90 was delivered to a local dealer with a D5 logo on the back. It really is amazing how these production lines with multiple models on them there are are not more of these "programming" errors.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Saw the new Tiguan yesterday...sharp looking Ute.

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
Das iz correcht!!!!! Sat in one at the dealer this week. Freakin huge, compared to the old one. Had the front seat most of the way back, still comfortable, the sat behind it. SO much leg room. I 6', 250+lbs. Me like.Me like. Just wish this would come with that nice Marrakesh Brown interior. And damn that panoramic sunroof!!! All I want is a normal one. Oh well. Better than not having one at all.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier

Haven't checked one out in person yet. Don't want to look too close in case I like it more than the Atlas ... And I really haven't seen any Atlas' out on the road yet either. Though I know of one other in my town.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
I put this in the other thread, but here's an update:

I have an SE (w/o tech) so the only advanced stuff on mine is the blind spot warning and rear cross traffic alert. So far it's been great and I have close to 7k miles. I've been playing with a few of the different driving modes and have settled on sport for most uses, there really isn't much difference in mpg and like the tighter steering and responsive transmission. Eco mode is like waiting 5 seconds for the car to anything and is scary if you want to get out of an intersection fast. The space and moving things around inside is great! I kind of which the 2nd row had a ski passthrough (there's not enough room for some 180's with just the third row down), but if you get the captains chairs that would solve the problem.
If you want to do any real towing, get the SEL. That comes with the 5000lb tow limit, putting an aftermarket one on only gets you 2000.

I've seen a few issues pop up with the SEL premium ones (with the digital cockpit) displaying a diesel screen and some folks have had the whole system shut down and get stranded. It's the first generation of this so I'd expect a few bugs and also one reason I went with the more basic set-up.

People seem to love the adaptive cruise control in traffic, it will speed up and slow down for you in heavy traffic. And only if you come to a full stop you just need to step on the gas to get going again.

Check out the Facebook page and Atlas forum on VWVortex. You'll find the usual complainers, but I think it's the best thought out 3 row suv out there.

Finally starting to see a lot more on the roads now. If you buy choose from dealer stock, I think build to orders are still taking over 3 months to deliver.