• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Van Deer/Red Bull and WC Racing

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I disagree. The solid Barilla blue on the top half of Shiffrin's helmet is the Barilla corporate blue.
It is the same color as the Barilla pasta box. The Barilla logo sits on the new lighter Barilla blue.
Barilla logos on the ski helmets usually are sitting on the Barilla corporate blue since Barilla became a helmet sponsor.

Did you think the purple Milka sponsored helmets did not match the Milka corp purple? Here are 20 years of Milka ski stars and their Milka purple helmets:
Multiple brands of helmets with the same Milka purple.
Blue, purple, red, yellow or whatever are colors. It's kinda hard to limit color choices, unless they put out rule that only full white colored helmets are allowed. But as I wrote, without that Barilla logo, noone would ever think Shiffrins helmet has anything to do with Barilla, even if it would be exact same color as Barilla package. Redbull helmet is very specific design which doesn't even need logo to know what it represents. So no, Redbull can design in shape of helmet is not exactly same as blue helmet.

James

Out There
Instructor
It's all going to be okay, James. I promise.
I know, I can buy Rossi to be a hero and avoid colors. I ended up with Dynastar though which has no slogans at all I think.

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
Blue, purple, red, yellow or whatever are colors. It's kinda hard to limit color choices, unless they put out rule that only full white colored helmets are allowed. But as I wrote, without that Barilla logo, noone would ever think Shiffrins helmet has anything to do with Barilla, even if it would be exact same color as Barilla package. Redbull helmet is very specific design which doesn't even need logo to know what it represents. So no, Redbull can design in shape of helmet is not exactly same as blue helmet.
A plain blue helmet might not be recognizable as relating to Barilla, but the Milka pale purple is immediately recognizable.

I tried squinting and tilting my head, but I am having a very hard time seeing the bull shape in the stylized "RACING" text of the new Van Deer logo. It really looks more like a mountain peak.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
1697632494393.png

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My S.O. happens to be a graphic designer by profession. I was telling her about this whole saga. Her comment - or at least my paraphrase of it - that supports what I have heard here from many of you: "A company's logo is only one aspect of its branding, among many. They include colors, palettes of color, textures, phrases, shapes ... all kinds of things. The boundaries of branding are fluid. You can't make a sensible statement that talks about constraining branding to a certain number of square centimeters."

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
The Mahre twins were my heros during my 1970's & 80's racing days. I think many junior racers could relate to the Mahres because they came from a relatively small program (White Pass) and were multi-sport athletes in their development. Meaning they didn't attend some $75K sports academy and their success on the World Cup was based on their hard work and yes they were definitely very talented athletes. I raced on K2's skis for most of my career probably because I was such a big fan of the Mahres. Although I never owned red Langes.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heard from a friend that he managed to get himself a pair of Van Deer masters GS skis. Looking to take those for a spin once season in full swing! He took off the Look plate and put on Marker/XComps.

They become available at more and more places. These look sweet but it is Stockli money they are asking, so I will wait for the reviews.

But I already start liking these guys-All mountain skis: 78mm, no skis wider than 108 and their 98mm freeride ski have double Ti and weigh 2 kilos, what’s not to like. :ogbiggrin:

Only the colour schemes are a bit uninspiring but that is easily fixed.

Last edited:

TomToth

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I think that this whole controversy stinks. And seems amateur. Corporate ID and visuals are far more complex than a file worm could regulate with a few data and centimeters. I can not imagine it can be exact and general - so this way it can never be fair.
What I see so far is that FIS (or one particular 'rebel') picked up one enemy and hobble against them. And what I can not see is a fair and general rule. As it has to be a joke to penalize those who was brave with their colour choice of corporate IDs and favorize those with plain white or black or red...etc.

What is the exact problem with the latest Van Deer Racing logo?
A character-image 'reminds' of something?!? Really?
If a man in charge at FIS reminds somebody of a swindler or a serial killer, he will be arrested? It's a joke.

Why are they so brave to state that 2 colours means the extension of a logo?
What if I deliberately misadjust the CMYK color values of the helmet slightly before printing, still blue and grey (silver), is it OK, as they are in fact _not_ how it was defined in the corporate guidelines, despite they look quite the same?
Where are the exact lines/rules/limits? If a corporate identity uses white intentionally - as a background, or the clear space of their logo - they will ban white helmets?
Atomic has to mask out the RED part allowed to show only STER?

And if these respectable gentlemen at FIS are so picky about colours and colour schemes, how come that the Head athletes can advertise a blue ski 10 seconds after they used a white one as their sport equipment? That blue one has nothing to do with the whole event! Next time they will pose with a bobsled if that particular manufacturer wants to sell that...

Maybe it's my fault but I don't see any consistency in their 'fight'. Or perhaps they've got a clean vision, but they are slow and amateur in implementation.
Let alone that joke to have these questions to care about when there are more acute and more serious problems regarding our favourite sport.

Sorry. My rant was way too long.

James

Out There
Instructor
Corporate ID and visuals are far more complex than a file worm could regulate with a few data and centimeters.
You really can’t tell the helmet is the same as the Red Bull can?

Probably the only reason they got away with it this long is RB is based in Austria.

IMG_1438.jpeg

Nope, hey it’s just colors :ogcool: -
IMG_1437.jpeg

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Probably the only reason they got away with it this long is RB is based in Austria.

View attachment 214327

Nope, hey it’s just colors :ogcool: -
View attachment 214328

POC needs to start selling these Odermatt helmets. I am more of a Monster guy but will buy one in a heartbeat.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
POC needs to start selling these Odermatt helmets.
That is more a Red Bull branding/control thing. They do not sell logoed helmets and hte athletes are not allowed to sell them or even give them away. They are leaving millions on the table by not marketing these. If you see someone out there with a Red Bull helmet, chances are they are a real deal Red Bull athlete, thats the way Red Bull wants it.

James

Out There
Instructor
POC needs to start selling these Odermatt helmets. I am more of a Monster guy but will buy one in a heartbeat.
Yes, they’re nice.They’ve sold them in the US.
That and the Julia (Mancuso) helmet they used to sell were the nicest. The Julia was a very nice blue.
i think the RedBull one was a Lindsey. Vonn edition, but could be wrong.

>edit<
Well, half wrong. Looks like it was Briko:
IMG_1439.jpeg

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That is more a Red Bull branding/control thing. They do not sell logoed helmets and hte athletes are not allowed to sell them or even give them away. They are leaving millions on the table by not marketing these. If you see someone out there with a Red Bull helmet, chances are they are a real deal Red Bull athlete, thats the way Red Bull wants it.

Yeah, makes sense.

On the other hand this could be easily spray painted.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Except that this is just a myth and you can easily buy helmet painted like RB can in store, regardless if it's ski, bike or whatever other helmet. At least in Europe it's not all that hard to buy it if you want to wear commercial for someone who is actually charging you to wear it instead of paying you to wear it. I guess closest Intersport store is first place to shop for this if someone is really interested in having them.

TomToth

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Yes, I can tell that the helmet is definitely not a can. One resembles the other, but completely different geometrical form, to be unnecessarily precise. Which means they are built from different blue and silver elements. (And, to be honest, if you don't attach the pic of the can, I couldn't recall how is it designed, as I'm neither a RB fan nor a RB customer.)

That's why I ask, what is the exact rule/limit/line?
"It reminds me" is far from being exact, and can only lead to controversies.

Sponsor

Staff online