• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "Monique choosing a mountain bike" thread!

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
basically means pretty much the same. there are a couple differences....

You can run a true 2.6" tire on the SB5. In my limited testing, i dont want anything larger.

Eenteresting. Perhaps they are C'ing their A's.

The demo bike will def. be the Beti. If I bought one, 'twould be the regular SB5. But I'm getting slightly ahead of myself ...

What width tire did you demo?

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Tony S - FWIW, the Pivot Mach 5.5 and the Yeti SB5 both advertise BBs of 13.3-13.4 inches, which is the same as my current bike. So the Ibis being so low is a bit of a puzzler. Ibis touts that the frame was designed by a 5'0-5'1 woman, so maybe the point was to get more standover height for very short people. That would be fair, and they don't have an XS.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
2.5's up front and 2.30 in the back. Those are Maxxis which means take ~.10-20 off the tire width. After a bunch of research this evening, I am leaning towards a Rekon 2.8F/R which sits at almost exactly 2.6 on 35mm ID rims.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
2.5's up front and 2.30 in the back. Those are Maxxis which means take ~.10-20 off the tire width. After a bunch of research this evening, I am leaning towards a Rekon 2.8F/R which sits at almost exactly 2.6 on 35mm ID rims.

Are you doing a custom build rather than doing a Yeti provided build?

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
my lbs will swap out any tires. he's also a fan of wider tires :)

I meant the rims :) I don't recognize ID from the Yeti build kits.

So, you're definitely going for the SB5, then? Complete change of heart, no 29er for you?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I mean, yes, but more clearance is handy. All else being equal, why would you choose less?

You would choose less to lower your center of mass. Lower bottom bracket generally means your maximum seat height is lower, and when you're standing your feet are closer to the ground, equating to a lower center of mass.

If pedal strikes are the only thing keeping you from a bike you like otherwise, definitely check out what the crank arm size is, replacing that with something even 5mm shorter makes a huge difference (just did that on my Scott Genuis).

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I meant the rims :) I don't recognize ID from the Yeti build kits.

So, you're definitely going for the SB5, then? Complete change of heart, no 29er for you?

not change of heart, deciding on what is the best bike for me. I demoed 7 bikes now including three 27.5's . The best feeling bike hands down, no contest is the Yeti SB5.5 but its not the best bike for me and where I ride. There is no "perfect" one bike, since bikes are infinitely more complicated than skis', it's really hard to find one bike that ticks off all other boxes. I have a 29'r Cannondale HT already so this bike compliments it. After demoing, the SB5 was the most Fun capable bike for switchback, turny narrow single track, Ease of climbing, ease of spinning up speed fast. True, the 27.5 looses that feeling the 9'rs have but the 9'rs just aren as quick in changing direction and that snappy response.Many are very good though. I do have to check with my LBS about the trek Fuel EX's as Dawgcatching told me the 2018's are coming out in July. July usually means august though :)

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
There's no perfect bike! This is no different than ski's really. Buy the bike that best fits your likes coupled with where you ride and the terrain you ride on. So if there's tons of rock gardens and obstacles, then maybe a BB of 13 is a little dicey (but I think you would adjust over time). I think the better tire width is the 2.6 though. Its a happy meeting of cush, traction and speed.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@Monique watch this video of the SB5+. Oddly though, its comes stock with Rekon 2.8's which seat up at 2.6 on 35ID wheels. That same tire will fit on a SB5. 13.3 BB

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Monique watch this video of the SB5+. Oddly though, its comes stock with Rekon 2.8's which seat up at 2.6 on 35ID wheels. That same tire will fit on a SB5. 13.3 BB

I'll watch it in a bit ... problem is it is likely not available in a size that works for me.

I wonder if I could get them to put those tires on my demo Beti.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

I have watched it! That guy is just, like, a hair better than me at riding. Just a hair ;-) I did enjoy the "Nothing new here - still can't clear it!" moment.

I do think the 2.8s were magical for clearing stuff, just made everything (except grinding out sections with no features) so much less frustrating. I wasn't bouncing back off of a rock, ever. I would think the SB5 with the typical tires will go back to being frustrating in that way ...

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have a Rekon on my back tire, and a Minion DHF on the front...LOVE the combination. Although, the Minion is a bit of overkill in some situations.

What bike is this?

I think I have some form of DHF on my downhill bike ...

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Ron - when I call the shop to ask about swapping tires for the demo, should I ask for the Rekon 2.8 front and back? Can you give me a suggestion based on your research?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Are they really willing swap tires around that much? Tires are really expensive now. I can just picture them trying to sell "used" tires. Good luck with that!

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Are they really willing swap tires around that much? Tires are really expensive now. I can just picture them trying to sell "used" tires. Good luck with that!

I don't know if they're willing, but I won't know if I don't try!

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

To be honest I might be willing to pay for those tires to get a more accurate demo.

Sponsor

Staff online