• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "Monique choosing a mountain bike" thread!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I was derailing the MTB 2017 thread with my blather, so I shall blather here, instead.

I started seriously thinking about a new mountain bike two years ago, but then in the fall, I damaged my shoulder and ended my riding season. And then I blew out my ACL the following spring and missed another riding season. I started a thread on epic about a new bike two years ago, which meandered as these threads are wont to do.

Now I REALLY want to get a new bike this season. I've had more time to think about what I want, and I have figured how I'm going to pay for it.

So, me: 5'5, hovering near Clydesdale status.

I currently own two mountain bikes: An Ellsworth Truth (100mm) and an Ellsworth Dare (229mm). Both are 26" aluminum bikes. The Truth feels too upright and short-traveled for the kind of descending I enjoy (although true XC riders wouldn't have any trouble with it). The Dare is just ridiculous for the lift-serviced riding I do, although it gives me an awful lot of confidence riding just about anything I'd be willing to try.

My intent is to get a bike that will serve me on local trails while also being enough for the lift-serviced I do. Heck, it might even be more fun because the travel won't eat up any chance at air. I figure I can keep the Truth around for when climb-happy friends invite me for rides.

Two years ago, I found the standover height on the SB5 to be unacceptable. Apparently, though, this year the new frame is much lower and has a lot more standover clearance. So it's back on my radar. I'm actually wondering if the SB6 would be more appropriate, considering my goals. Not sure if I can demo it.

My plan is to get a little bit of a fitness and comfort-level base (I've been out of the game for 1.5 years), then demo.

I initially asked about 27.5s at 130-160. At the last place I called, he suggested that I should at least try a 29er before ruling it out. He also said that he is not concerned about a 1x setup for slow climbers - he's installed smaller front rings for various riders to great success. I do want carbon, which seems to be fairly much the norm for the price point I'm considering.

Here's what I've found available to demo in my size. There may be more options at shops I haven't called yet.

Yeti SB5, SB45

Specialized Stumpjumper

Intense - recluse or tracer, but pending check in with local rep to see if it's really available

Santa Cruz/Juliana 5010/Furtado, Joplin

Pivot 429

Liv/Giant Pique Advanced 2, Hail 2, Trance 2

Thoughts?

There's also potentially an Ellsworth Rogue available to demo, but AFAIK there is no Colorado LBS that sells Ellsworths, so that's not my first choice.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
How tall are you? I really don't think 29ers are a great choice for anybody much under 6'. Especially if downhill is your goal. But if you can demo one, why not?

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
How tall are you? I really don't think 29ers are a great choice for anybody much under 6'. Especially if downhill is your goal. But if you can demo one, why not?

I'm 5'5. I just toodled a Yeti SB5 around the neighborhood and suspect I'll end up with one of some build kit or another. Need to demo first, and need to get comfortable riding my normal trails before that. They do a 3 day demo, so I could actually ride a typical local trail one day, then go to WP and ride some lift serviced the next ....

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Also toodled around on a 5010 and HATED it.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I own a Trance SX......I look at its as a self service dh LITE bike. But its got a 160/140 travel vs the 140/140 found on all of the trance being sold this year. at 140/140 my trance feel more like long travel XC bike, than a Trail/enduro rig built to fly DH. The trance's biggest downfall is it does not have great standover for its Top T length, and its not that progressive in geometery. The women's frame does not have any better stand over, but it does have a longer chainstay and shorter TT. If you can objectively tell me how that actually helps I am all ears.

If you are looking for a proper All-mountain 29er I feel like the Kona Process 111 and Canfield Bro Riot need to be on your list. Compared to Yeti, they are much more nimble in the rear, and more stable in the front.

If you stick with 27.5s The Process 134(again proper good geo with lots of stand over) and this Norco Sight C 7.3 in carbon is probably one of the best deals out there.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO, the new Trek Remedy belongs on your list.

The SB5 is also a great bike, though they break a lot of swingarms, and don't carry a water bottle (near-fatal flaw for me).

Enjoy the hunt! So fun!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't tell whether this is going to be fun or just excruciating.

Wendy and I did demo about 15 bikes at Nemba fest last summer. She was shopping. Ended up with an SB5C. Top three for both of us. Nice bike. YMMV.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Reactions: mdf

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Didn't like the 5010? Why not? I've never ridden one, but I did try the Bronson last year. I found it to be sort of boring for me, though apparently I was riding fast on it. That is until I got to a faster DH trail, then the bike was awesomely fun. It would be a blast on lift served trails and more than capable elsewhere.

If it were me though, I'd be looking at a YT Capra.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Didn't like the 5010? Why not?

You ever get on a bike and it just feels wrong?

I will fully grant that this could have been something silly, but I got on the 5010 (actually the Furtado, same diff) and I felt like my CoG was way high, and like the handlebars were squirrelly. I just felt less stable. I brought the bike back after a couple of minutes in the neighborhood, and the salesperson looked up the specs to compare with the Yeti. Wheel base - same. Bottom bracket height - same. Couple other numbers - same.

Maybe the head tube angle? 66.5* for the SB5 vs 67* for the Furtado/5010? But that would be crazy, because my Truth is 71* (!), and I don't feel off kilter on it.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If it were me though, I'd be looking at a YT Capra.

I have not seen one of those available for demo locally. But - a little more travel than I'm looking for ...

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Santa Cruz VPP requires some crazy high shock PSI to keep its rear end from sinking to far and causing some extreme HTA angle. My guess is the 66 degree head angle was actually closer to low 60 and it made it feel like it had a high COG.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO, one of the most versatile bikes for a one-bike-quiver is the Scott Genius LT. 170mm of travel, but has CTD fork and rear shock to lockout at 110mm (might be 120mm), and a full lockout. Climbs well, but has enough slack to kill downhills as well.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
IMO, one of the most versatile bikes for a one-bike-quiver is the Scott Genius LT. 170mm of travel, but has CTD fork and rear shock to lockout at 110mm (might be 120mm), and a full lockout. Climbs well, but has enough slack to kill downhills as well.

Wow, that seems really big. I'm not sure if I could demo it locally ...

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, that seems really big. I'm not sure if I could demo it locally ...

Definitely seems like a lot on paper, but it's pretty amazing how versatile it is. DH has one and was using it as his only bike until I decided to buy myself a downhill bike (and he followed suit). But he was able to enjoy riding just about everything from XC trails to lift-serviced with it. There's also the normal (non-Long Travel) Genius, which on smoother downhill, I'm sure it's plenty of travel. However, we live in the Granite State...no shortage of rocky, rooty trails here.

How far are you from Moab? Could give you a slew of options to demo.... http://www.outerbike.com/

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
How far are you from Moab? Could give you a slew of options to demo.... http://www.outerbike.com/

Four hours. It's possible, but I don't want to demo bikes on unfamiliar trails. And Moab trails are very different from my local trails - if I had trouble, there would be no way to know if it was the bike or me.

There are a lot of bikes to demo locally. I don't actually want to demo a million bikes. It's overwhelming. I realize this goes against all typical advice, but I think it's likely that I'll demo the SB5 after getting used to my current bike on local trails - and if I love it, no need to keep looking. Much like skis. Perfect being the enemy of the good and all that.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
My money would go toward an Evil Calling, but the Intense Recluse is a seriously nice bike... I am just kind of over Intense as a company. (I have 2 Intense bikes currently and have owned 5). From Pivot you should probably looking at the Switchblade (or even the new Firebird) over the 429.

Did you happen to note bar width and stem length on the SC? Angles and stated geometry is fine, but if you are riding bikes with drastically different set ups, even bikes with similar geo will perform differently. (And are the suspensions being adjusted? That is more than setting shock pressure if done correctly).

Xinga

Booting up
Skier
I would strongly suggest that you demo a 29er, 27.5, and 27.5+.

And it would be ideal to do one of these Pivot demo days:

But I have a feeling you won't be that patient...

Sunday, May 07, 2017
11:00am - 4:00pm
Golden Bike Shop Demo

City: Golden
State: CO

Join Golden Bike Shop and Pivot Cycles for your chance to ride the best bikes around, on your local trails. For more detailed information contact Taylor at Golden Bike Shop at (303) 278-6545 or visit goldenbikeshop.com

Saturday, May 13, 2017
10:00am - 3:00pm
Sports Garage Demo Day
City: Boulder
State: CO

Head over to Valmont Bike Park in Boulder Colorado and join the Sports Garage for your chance to demo a new Pivot. For more detailed information contact Fred at Sports Garage 303-473-0733 or visit sportsgarage.net.

---------
Before I chose my Switchblade, I rode:

Pivot 429 Trail 2x: loved the geometry, but didn't like the 29s
Julianna Rubion CC in 27.5: something about the riding position was not right for me, loved the plush suspension, 1x drive train bleh, too many pushes needed to make big steps when transitioning between climbing and descending and vice versa
Julianna Joplin: was supposed to be setup as a 27.5+, but ended up being a 29. solidified that i didn't want a 29er. hated how it climbed, it felt huge, but really rocked the smooth swoopy, rolling curves -- prettiest purple bike ever
Pivot Mach6: loved the huge suspension travel, could use poor technique and mash over things that usually freak me out on climbs. top tube too short, knees banged on shifters
Pivot Switchblade in 27.5+: a bit tanky, but something about the low speed handling and overall cornering feel made me love this bike, confidence inspiring
Pivot 429 1x with 27.5+: confirmed that I didn't want a 1x and that I liked the plushness and traction that the 27.5+ gives
Yeti SB?C 27.5: my best climbing day ever on this bike. didn't like how it descended, though, not a slack enough head angle, i think

I was looking for a new bike that was more plush and more confidence inspiring that my old Intense Spider XVP, but still ok to ride up as well as down.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My money would go toward an Evil Calling, but the Intense Recluse is a seriously nice bike... I am just kind of over Intense as a company. (I have 2 Intense bikes currently and have owned 5). From Pivot you should probably looking at the Switchblade (or even the new Firebird) over the 429.

Did you happen to note bar width and stem length on the SC? Angles and stated geometry is fine, but if you are riding bikes with drastically different set ups, even bikes with similar geo will perform differently. (And are the suspensions being adjusted? That is more than setting shock pressure if done correctly).

The stem and bar lengths were very similar. He pumped up the shock and did fiddle with rebound, etc, but I'm not sure that was completely consistent.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
But I have a feeling you won't be that patient...

I don't expect to buy anything in the next month, anyway. Need to get the Ducati spruced up and sold. And I really do need to get comfortable riding on my familiar trails before demoing anything.

Oh, crap. Just realized VBP event overlaps with the pugski A Basin thing. I'll need to make some tough decisions.

Sponsor

Staff online