• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Moment and ON3P definitely still interest me. I did demo some ON3P skis at Loveland, but only on a mostly "old snow" day, with some light powder, chop and crud leftovers here and there. The Billy Goats still stood out. They were great on groomers, chop and packed snow bumps. Something about their unusual front reverse sidecut makes them turn well in bumps, fast, on that front sidecut; and yet make both quick sl and longer gs/sg turns on groomers, at speed, on edge. Neat ski. Now if only I could try them in powder! :)

The other ON3P ski that stood out for me was the new Jeffrey 114. A very different feel from the previous Jeffrey 110, less heavy and stiffer. The 114 turns fast, floats, feels very light and easy to turn/carve on edge different radius turns, yet it's stable in chop, at speed. To me it felt a lot like the Volkl V Werks Katana 112.

Now if I could just demo the Moment Bibby/Blister Pros.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
While I have not skied the RMU's, I did get a chance to fondle a pair last year, I was impressed by the way they flexed.

image.jpeg

Do they actually manufacture the RMU skis in Breckenridge? I wanted to step inside but was with the family on the way to dinner.

Last edited:

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
Moment and ON3P definitely still interest me. Now if I could just demo the Moment Bibby/Blister Pros.
Moments are really popular around here (surprise). I have the PB&J (mini Bibby Pro @ 101 waist) and I love it. At the local mountain, I see a good number of Moments. The distinctive square tips and tails really helps with spotting them from a distance. Moment is actually holding a demo day there soon. I'm tempted to try their other skis, but at the same time I don't want to catch more +1-itis.

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
While I have not skied the RMU's, I did get a chance to fondle a pair last year, I was impressed by the way they flexed.

I really want to try the North Shore. I'd also really like to get on the Professor 2.0 on a really fat day.

The BLS and Apostle are both proven skis that are great as a touring option. I'm skiing my Apostles now as a daily driver and couldn't be more thrilled with how they handle just about any conditions you throw at them.

View attachment 5192

Do they actually manufacture the RMU skis in Breckenridge? I wanted to step inside but was with the family on the way to dinner.

The Apostle is my new one ski quiver.. I'll finish my review and post it in the next few days (feels like the last month has been all work and no play - luckily I like my job).

But long story short the smooth flex really sold them, as did their performance on anything I threw at them. One stand out was there smoothness in crud and variable snow. On my aura's I found that you really had to actively manage fore-aft balance.. The apostles blasted through mixed snow as if it was uniform consistency. And the construction is bomb proof - gold for someone like me who likes steep bumps and trees which usually come with "unmarked hazards".

Dave you should call in. They manufacture locally, but not at the Breckenridge store. But, they do have lots of the components, bases, cores, cross sections, you name it in the store. And you the RMU team are all really knowledgeable and friendly (fancy working for a company where your contract stipulates that you must ski at least 50 days per year).

When I bought mine in January they had sold out of the 175 apostle, but they had a 2017 pair, which meant they got lots of stares in lift queues and sparked a few conversations.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are there any euro indies? Any recommendations to demo over there?

I'm spending almost all my time here on either Praxis or Goode skis. Love those indie specialty skis!

Eric

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Well I'm not sure you can call Factions Indies anymore but technically they are. Whitedot which have had patchy distribution in the US are definitely worth trying particualrly in the carbonlite layups and are great freeride skis with something for everyone's taste. Down seem to quite successful in their direct sales business model.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Are there any euro indies? Any recommendations to demo over there?

I'm spending almost all my time here on either Praxis or Goode skis. Love those indie specialty skis!

Eric

Zag, Black Crowes, White Dot, Faction?, Blossom or the multiple brands they make, Movement?

Plus others.

Faction had a great looking Verbier special edition ski. It's the same as another model that's yellow I think.

Where are you skiing?

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We're going to Zermatt and Chamonix. Not taking skis - unless I really like some to bring back! It might be fun to try some unique skis there.

My daughter in law has the trip totally planned. It's possible she even has our skis rented - but I'm hoping to get some input. There is a shop in Zermatt that carries Faction skis. Hopefully they rent them too.

Does this mean I have to do a trip report and a ski evaluation when I get back?

Eric

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
EchoBase in Les Praz in Chamonix carry a White Dot demo fleet. Black Crowes are pretty easy to rent in CHX too.

and not forgetting Idris if you're in the valley, I'm sur eyou can give Tom a ring and he'll find you a pair of skis to demo if you'll give them a write up.

James

Out There
Instructor
We're going to Zermatt and Chamonix. Not taking skis - unless I really like some to bring back! It might be fun to try some unique skis there.

My daughter in law has the trip totally planned. It's possible she even has our skis rented - but I'm hoping to get some input. There is a shop in Zermatt that carries Faction skis. Hopefully they rent them too.

Eric
Well good for you for making the leap to Europe! Very exciting.

Have not been to Zermatt but from what I know that and the Chamonix area are very different. There's a reason Glen Plake fell in love with Cham. I suspect a lot of it is just a lot of the ordinary people who ski there along with the extraordinary and of course the terrain. I'd recommend taking the free bus (with lift ticket or hotel, even a hostel) if you're going to Argentiere where Les Grand Montets lift is.

Hopefully you will have clearer weather than when I was there for a day.

In Chamonix Centre Ville (the actual Chamonix town center where the Aiguille du Midi lift is) check out Sport 2000 ski shop. http://www.coquoz-sport-chamonix.sport2000.fr/fr/
Very nice small shop. They have zag and Black Crowes at least. Rental of a Kastle as I recall was 31 euros.

Also they sell cool poles you don't see here like ones with no grips but foam most of the way up the shaft. Made in Cham. Also a LEKI there with a grip and strap and hand hold below. Never seen them here.

Also down the street to Sport 2000 is Technique Extreme. (200 Avenue de l'Aiguille du Midi, 74400 Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, France) Go past the weird first floor bazzar to up stairs. They have really detailed maps for sale. Plus their own collapsible poles for sale.

Above all have coffee and pastries.
There's a little shop near Technique Extreme called Pain de Tradition. Nice simple pastries and cafe au lait from a machine better than most coffee here.

The first leg of a lift that brings you over 9,000 ft up. Right in town.
image.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Eric
You don't have to do a trip report, but it would be nice if we could live vicariously through your travels :popcorn:

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
ON3P: Local to me in Portland, OR. I've been skiing ON3P Steeple 102's this year, tons of fun in any type of soft conditions. They'll be at the Mt Hood Meadows demo day this Sunday. Looking forward to trying the new Wrenegade 88.

Renoun: A good friend of mine just got a pair of the Endurance 98s. He has them out today on Mt Hood, 17" in the last 24hours so probably won't be kicking in the magic stiffener potion (there's a bad joke in there) in the ski today. BTW discount code SPRING30 for 30% off on the website. Brings the price down from beyond premium to premium :)

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The Apostle is my new one ski quiver.. I'll finish my review and post it in the next few days (feels like the last month has been all work and no play - luckily I like my job).

But long story short the smooth flex really sold them, as did their performance on anything I threw at them. One stand out was there smoothness in crud and variable snow. On my aura's I found that you really had to actively manage fore-aft balance.. The apostles blasted through mixed snow as if it was uniform consistency. And the construction is bomb proof - gold for someone like me who likes steep bumps and trees which usually come with "unmarked hazards".

Dave you should call in. They manufacture locally, but not at the Breckenridge store. But, they do have lots of the components, bases, cores, cross sections, you name it in the store. And you the RMU team are all really knowledgeable and friendly (fancy working for a company where your contract stipulates that you must ski at least 50 days per year).

When I bought mine in January they had sold out of the 175 apostle, but they had a 2017 pair, which meant they got lots of stares in lift queues and sparked a few conversations.

RMU: I was looking on their website -- looks like their factory is in Carbondale. Just walking by it kind of seemed like they had some sort of work room in the back of the store.

I'll have to stop by next time I'm back in Breckenridge.

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
RMU: I was looking on their website -- looks like their factory is in Carbondale. Just walking by it kind of seemed like they had some sort of work room in the back of the store.

I'll have to stop by next time I'm back in Breckenridge.

Yes they do

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My guys-trip was to Zermatt the last 2 years. Loved that place ! This year was Garmisch/Ischgl/St.Anton
Nothing in Zermatt is cheap, you will find better deals in the USA on skis, especially now at end of season.
Zermatt is where I first saw a lot of skis from Black Crows, made by guys in Chamonix.
Zag skis are also based out of Chamonix.

There are 2 fabulous restaurants in the Cervina-side of Zermatt that I encourage you to checkout.
---> Chalet Etoile , and downstairs at Bontadini.
My pals jest that we only have skis on our feet to get from one mountain restaurant to the next !
Our Europe ski-trips -> not sure if it is about the skiing or the eating !

~ Andy

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
Amy it looks like you were trying to ski them backwards. Maybe try flipping them around?

Sponsor

Staff online