• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Teach me on gravelenture bikes

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I ride a lot of gravel roads during the off -- or ski -- season. Ours are steep, and often at least a bit washboardy.

Surprisingly, I end up grabbing my 10 year old mtb hardtail (with rigid fork) more often than my much fancier "gravel" bike.

Food for thought!

Yep, I find myself on a drop bar '89 Team Stumpjumper with 1.95" smallblock 8's

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I am looking to buy a cross/gravel bike for our hardpacked dirt and gravel roads. There are near endless miles of these up here. My question is what kind of geo is best, general use tire width, and just a better understanding of what makes a good bike. I am looking to spend $2,500 or less and was hoping to snag a leftover. some of the roads will include paved roads but some of the gravel/hardpack are fire roads. Scott also recommended the New Cannondale Slate but just not sure about the fork and the 650b config.

One bike that caught my eye was this Ridley on BC. With AJ rebate, it will come in under budget.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...kbGV5IFgtVHJhaWwgQ29tcGxldGUgQmlrZXM6MToxOg==

EDIT- I should have used "adventure bike" in the title as I think that's probably more of what I want

Nope, they are 'gravel bikes'...

Adventure bikes are large displacement 'all road' motos....

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
image.jpeg

What are your goals for getting a gravel bike? Are you touring on it / bike packing? Just riding around for fun?

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Mostly fun. Bike packing appeals to me. Grown to love my road bike as much as my mtn bike. I ride with my neighbot a lot and he has been encouraging me to get something to ride with him and friends. He rides a erickson More like a road bike with flat bars but runs a mid 30 tire. A lot of the ride incorporate 10-20 road miles with climbs

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about wider tires for your Gran Fondo? Sounds like it can fit up to 35c tires when equipped with disc brakes:
https://www.racycles.com/product/detail/8035

Specialized came out with the Diverge, pretty much a Roubaix (similar to your Gran Fondo) with more tire clearance and slightly beefed up:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/diverge

I did my 20 mile Tour de Plutonium ride the other day on my Roubaix:
20160909_145602(0).jpg

Sometimes I'll do that ride on my Roubaix, sometimes on my FS XC bike. It really depends on my mood and if I'm mixing in roads and bike paths, or a little bit of single track. On the gravel path, either bike is fine.

One thing to be aware of is the road bike with 25c tires needs a lot more attention and skill. Even on a groomed gravel path there are sandy and washed out sections that will take you down quickly. A mountain bike tire will just float over those. A 32c cross tire helps a little, but not a ton. You still need to be on your game.

I'd love a cheap hardtail 29er to fill that spot in my quiver. It's just hard to justify when I have two perfectly fine bikes already. Kinda like I want a 100mm ski when I already have perfectly good 85, 90 and 110mm skis. How much would I really use it? Yes, I'm aware of the OP's proclivities :)

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Good stuff! The Bmc gf max's at 28. Otherwise i would have tried that route. I think the most versitile tire mibght be a 38-40 but i do see these bikes going to wider clearances as josh mentioned going to see whats still hangi g around this week

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
that road Tball posted is in way better shape than anything I ride one....

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Good stuff! The Bmc gf max's at 28. Otherwise i would have tried that route. I think the most versitile tire mibght be a 38-40 but i do see these bikes going to wider clearances as josh mentioned going to see whats still hangi g around this week

35-44mm is the sweet spot for gravel bikes I think. At least that is what works for me in CO and New England. But if more tire that that is needed for the conditions, as stated about, nothing still beats an old high end hardtail mtb, with lockout or rigid fork.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
that road Tball posted is in way better shape than anything I ride one....
Yeah, that's a brand new section of a multi-use trail that just opened this year so it's in pristine condition.

After some time it will get washed out and rutted in places. They will occasionally "groom" it but that will often just hide dangerous spots by filling the rough spots with gravel, making something of a sand trap. You'll be hauling along at 20mph on the smooth path then hit one of those and go down in an instant on a road or cross width tire if you are not attentive and have some skills.

I point this out as many of the ubiquitous gravel rails-to-trails type trails are similar. For this reason, I think a mountain width tire is probably best for all but the most serious rider, even on the smoothest gravel trails.

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I'm on gravel it's on the 29r MB. My rides are frequent, mostly long and mostly on the road so I'll use the different seating position of a MB as a break. My road bike can take 32-s but I agree with tball, I tried using different rims and tread on the roadie but still preferred the MB. Also, I'm competing against Strava on the roadie whereas the MB rides are intended to be more relaxing, even if they usually don't end up that way. So speed is less important and comfort more. Strava is obsession inducing for me.

I did demo the Slate and Ridley X-trail, much preferring the latter. If I thought it would be my sweet spot I'd get one but I just don't know that I'd use it much and like with more skis it would be just another thing to maintain.

Reactions: Ron

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
If anyone is interested trying to field a Pugs "team" at one of the bigger grinders in 2017, I'm in.

Specifically thinking of the Almanzo, or the Hilly Billy Roubaix, or I guess the Crusher in the Tushar (gulp).

Have bikes, will travel. And it's high time I committed to doing something ridiculous again.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Hill Billy is fun. 6000 feet of climbing but never more than 600 feet at once.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This from their webpage:

Just in case you didn't get it from the highlight video above, the HBR is HARD! Real hard. Don't be mistaken, many have, it is 70+ miles of backroads, dozens of steep climbs, technicial gravel descents, one small creek crossing and incase you missed it, a few abandoned roads!Leave your Flux-Capacitor and fancy wheels at home; however, after we beat you up, we'll feed ya!

Like we said before, "this race is hard!". The challenging terrain, mud, dirt and the distance of the Hilly Billy Roubaix is not for everyone, but the challenge sure is rewarding! Do you have what it takes to finish the Hilly Billy Roubaix?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ride with my neighbot a lot and he has been encouraging me to get something to ride with him and friends.

If you're joining a new group, a similar bike to theirs will yield maximum fun for you and the group.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
If you're joining a new group, a similar bike to theirs will yield maximum fun for you and the group.

I prefer one that works better than the most likely trendy plastic bikes found in 'groups' today...
Besides, cycling, much like skiing, is more about the indian than the bow!!!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I prefer one that works better than the most likely trendy plastic bikes found in 'groups' today...
Besides, cycling, much like skiing, is more about the indian than the bow!!!

except MTBing....

I would love to see the average good trail rider riding their slacked out 5-6 inch travel bike with dropper try to ride the same with a short wheelbase,73 HTA, 120mm stem of yesterryear.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
except MTBing....

I would love to see the average good trail rider riding their slacked out 5-6 inch travel bike with dropper try to ride the same with a short wheelbase,73 HTA, 120mm stem of yesterryear.

Make that a 130mm stem if you please :D

And since I'm riding the same trails as were there when the bike was new, it still works just as well for me.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Make that a 130mm stem if you please :D

And since I'm riding the same trails as were there when the bike was new, it still works just as well for me.

your trails must be shallow and slow then. The old bikes are better on rolling terrain that never goes down to fast.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Bill I'd love to see a pic of your STumpie. Sounds just like my first MTB. '89 Stumpjumper Team. If I remember correctly, it was white/grey with orange and purple highlights. Tange Prestige tubing and Deore XT. Mine was "upgraded" with a 150mm McMahon Racing titanium stem and Bontrager 231s. She got ripped off in '92 I think.

My last gravelventure roadbike was a celeste Bianchi Reparto Corse frame from EL/OS tubing. Only problem was that with really small tires 1.3" cross tires, I kept hitting the pedals if I pedaled through corners. Bike was retired when I no longer needed to pull kids on a trailer, but frame is still hanging in the garage. Too beautiful to get rid of.

Sponsor

Staff online