• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swim Spas?

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I finally got in the pool Saturday. Wanted back in yesterday but was caught up in getting chores done. Saturday was the first time in 2 years swimming and I had new equipment to try out so it wasn't so much a work out as an experiment.

As I mentioned earlier I needed to upgrade my 25-30 year old tether. I decided to go with the ankle straps. It's a bit of a switch for me but I'll get used to it. First odd thing is you can't just stand up. You have to get close enough to the anchor point to do that. Not a big deal but one of the biggest differences on the waist strap. There is also the fact that your feet are restricted. I usually just swim freestyle/crawl, so it isn't that big a deal since I usually have a float between my legs anyways.

I also got a swim snorkel - the Stability Snorkel. There are several different types, but this one has a pad for you forehead and is adjustable. There are all sorts of swim snorkels depending on what you're doing and this one seemed to fit my needs. Using a swim snorkel takes some getting used to for a couple reasons. It is designed to have you focus on your stroke and not have to turn your head. I like that idea so it becomes just a work out and not having to delay getting a breath because my timing was off and have a mouth full of water instead of air. Now I can go full bore and not have to worry about getting enough air. I'm not doing this for competition so I don't care so much about getting my head turning technique perfect, and I do have some neck issues, so it seemed like a good idea. I'm 60 and have been doing the crawl since I was about 12, so all of a sudden not turning my head was a little awkward, but I'm getting used to it.

The second issue is really just a "Ken" issue. Along with all the crap going on the inside of my head, I now have too much on the outside as well! When I was putting the snorkel on the first time, it was a bit frustrating because along with the snorkel, are the goggles, swim cap, and my waterproof Apple Shuffle and earbuds. Holy crap! There are straps and wires everywhere! The Stability Snorkel also has criss cross straps which I have to get used to as it is one long strap. I finally got is but need to come up with a better process. I felt like I needed someone to assist me since I can't see what I'm doing. Was going to ask the missus, but she is already convinced I'm on the spectrum so no since in giving her more ammo. The swim cap is just to keep the earbuds in place and is way to tight. I got a different one yesterday with ear pockets that isn't as tight that I'll try this week.

As awkward as everything was I was happy with the results. Just not comfortable with it all yet. Kind of like getting new skis; just need some time to figure it all out.

I'm also going to change my anchor point. The one I've been using is out of convenience, but is has me drifting left from the pool's return and pushes me towards the side. I'm going to set a new one so I'm heading length wise and the water flow will be of no concern. We have the return pointing to the surface as there has been lots of debris from the trees getting in the pool and this helps guide them to the skimmer. Last time it must have been pointing more towards the bottom as I don't remember it being this bad.

I only swam for 15 minutes straight since it has been two years and I didn't want to over do it. Looking forward to getting back in there - hopefully after work tonight.

Ken

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm scheduled for my first swim today! With my Masters club, we are now assigned to two 30 minute workout times per week. I don't think there will be a coach. I picked an evening swim time to avoid further sun damage to my skin, but if this goes on into winter it will be tough. Our pool is cold in the winter, and I won't be too motivated to get into a cold pool for laps on my own.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sadly the pool suffered a minor leak ... and worse is this week is to be in the 90s ...

gonna need a lot of Duck Tape!

Pool death 2020-08-22_6-42-26.jpg

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ours died a slow dripping death this month. Got a good 4.5 years out of a $300 above ground 15'X4' bath tub. This year was whack-a-mole with leaks and patches so I knew the end was near. I was the only one using it at this point. Kids outgrew it last summer.
1598306452027.png

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ouch...sorry to see that....what a mess. I can see that happening to mine too as it sits back under a canopy of trees.
For us I knew one lovely cherry tree, maybe 70 foot tall could lose the branch that would sever the pool, but we had high winds prior. I'm sadly in the 10 mi path of a Derenco on the 10th.

We had 124mph confirmed winds and believed 140mph.

My spouse and I are really fortunate as this was essentially the worst damage other than two loved trees and 15 to 20 other ones.

Others here lost home and cars.

Least I can say I have a feel for folks who experienced hurricanes, we however hadn't the rain quantities.

All good after 2 weeks to let good things overtake the sad.

@crgildart , Thats a lot of years for a pool, and true on outgrowing, our kids grew and ent for bigger which volleyball was our fun ... great FUN!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
For us I knew one lovely cherry tree, maybe 70 foot tall could lose the branch that would sever the pool, but we had high winds prior. I'm sadly in the 10 mi path of a Derenco on the 10th.

We had 124mph confirmed winds and believed 140mph.

My spouse and I are really fortunate as this was essentially the worst damage other than two loved trees and 15 to 20 other ones.

Others here lost home and cars.

Least I can say I have a feel for folks who experienced hurricanes, we however hadn't the rain quantities.

All good after 2 weeks to let good things overtake the sad.

@crgildart , Thats a lot of years for a pool, and true on outgrowing, our kids grew and ent for bigger which volleyball was our fun ... great FUN!
Ya that was a nasty system, spun up tornadoes around Minneapolis too. We had to take down two massive oak trees to make room for a home addition 5 years ago. When the NOAA radio goes off, I think about how glad I am that those trees aren't still there right next to the house towering over the bedrooms.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Masters team has moved to three 40 minute workouts per week (two swimmers per lane); and today was to be the first day, but practice was cancelled due to air quality. :(

Reactions: BC.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My wife want an above ground pool and purchased a 12ft dia steel walled winterizable pool. (I didn’t as I’d be doing install and maintenance b

Our son and daughter who both swam competitively train with a harness to hold them stationary in the center. Both do all strokes at race pace with this method.

Cost $3,500 to $4k all in (I did the work) vs an $50,000 plus to allow them to swim swim race pace for an endless pool setup. bonus is the operational cost, don’t need a monster pump required by the endless pool, all I need is fix post to mount the harness too.

Note this is CDN$.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our swim spa works great...

Is that a solar array in the background? I've now got space for an array given our unexpected tree clearing.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is that a solar array in the background? I've now got space for an array given our unexpected tree clearing.

It is. We had it put in about 12 years ago. It contributes about 10-15% of our total power. My best feature of that though is at the same time I had an emergency back up power system installed in my house (as opposed to a whole house generator) that essentially charges itself (built with 12 marine batteries) daily via the solar and electricity. When my power goes out, my lights don’t even blink. Being conservative with lights, tv etc, it will run our 5500 sqft house for approx. 4 days. If the power is out longer I can hook up a portable generator and totally recharge the system in 4 hours or so. I paid about $12k for the system 12 years ago when a whole house propane generator would have cost about $15k plus the cost of the propane. It is without question the smartest money I’ve ever spent on a home improvement.

Gordonhoj

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I can definitely understand the desire to have a swim spa for year-round access to water. We actually have one at our home and have been really happy with it. The Michael Phelps "Signature" line has some great options, and we went with the TSX 19 from TruSwim and have been really happy with it. The swim bench is a great addition to dryland training, and we also use it for stretching and yoga practices. Overall, we've found it to be a great investment for both exercise and relaxation. If you have any specific questions about our experience with a swim spa, feel free to ask! And if you're considering https://onsitemedspa.com/services/ for your skincare needs, we highly recommend them.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online