• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swim Spas?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Daughter 19 made it as far as Provincials (state), Son is a Para-swimmer just shy of National teams, Internationally Licensed (para thing), competed both in Canada and international events. Medalled at National events. Funded by the prov

Think we are the end of swimming, I need to work and secure my retirement fund, as I have been the primary driver & travel companion for him.

For all those thinking of putting your kids in swimming, great sport, a lot get scholarships (focus learned in swimming translates to good study habits for most). Downside is it is a year long sport, 7 days a week, morning and evening (some cases mid day too). Ton of driving. This is a family sport as parents lots of volunteer hour required.

Hockey is cheaper! No joke.

As to time commitment, worst was in a 42 day period he (and I travelled) for 28 days (5 meets) in 2 provinces and 2 states, 1 flight and 3,600-3,800km driving for meets and another 2,100km for practices during that time period. Gas buddy is my friend.

TS
BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update....

Wife had an interesting day on the phone with a TruSwim dealer in Hackettstown, NJ today.....lol..learned a lot..but, 50,000 dollars for a swim spa is obviously not worth it for us....that amount of money is earmarked for many more important things....Turning the page on that idea.

Plan B is the Home Depot Intex 18x52 pool and resistant belt/band method.....but all pools are out of stock on Home Depot.com right now......not sure if it’s because it’s too early for them to sell?...or every swim family in the US is buying these up to get their kids in the water?....lol..

TS
BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update....

Home Depot INTEX pool was delivered yesterday.....16’ by 48” deep.....5,000gal.

Pool in a box.....lol....it saved us about 48,000 dollars....;)

40BAE1C0-5D9F-4E10-AE62-938B0207713F.jpeg

It will have a sand filter pump/ and will be a salt water “training pool”. I will take pics after it is all set up/....

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great on doing the salt water.

Changed over 3 seasons ago and every one loves it. Salt level is on par with tears so there's no sting in eyes, skin is soothed too.

Tried it after hitting the Phoenix condos in Steamboat, they had pool and hot tubs with salt water. Loved it.

Best thing is I had faught with chemicals where once twice if not watching daily and slipped though a week i had green pool syndrome, I did nothing with the salt chlorine generator other than run it.kids and wife were amazed at how much better it was.

I really got to where I fully trust I can ignore the system and water is clear and balanced even if we spend the weekend in it.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I need one of those Intex pools. I miss swimming. I mentioned the tether idea to my niece, who has an in ground pool, and who is a swimmer. She just might do it. Her older sister, also a swimmer, has been swimming open water at a local lake.

Reactions: BC.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I think I need one of those Intex pools. I miss swimming. I mentioned the tether idea to my niece, who has an in ground pool, and who is a swimmer. She just might do it. Her older sister, also a swimmer, has been swimming open water at a local lake.

I made my own out of leftover gear from my SCUBA diving days. I should probably look at replacing it as it is over 25 years old :geek:. Just a matter of time before it snaps or falls apart somehow. The waist strap is my old SCUBA weight belt without the weights. I just wear it backwards. I don't know what they use for SCUBA now but this is a "soft" weight belt that had pockets to put pouches of weights in.

I know my niece bought one on Amazon. Mine hooks around my waist. They can also hook to your ankles. Just search on "swimming tether". Anywhere for $20ish to as much as you want to spend. She might already have the things needed. Just make sure it's comfortable and doesn't rub. Making the connection at the stationary object higher is better than lower so it doesn't get caught up in your legs.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually dislike that tethered feeling of not getting anywhere, but I guess in a 15 foot pool it’s a good thing.

TS
BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s up...starting filling it up today...
7F2D6B5A-74D2-470B-A336-3EBB4EA8B19E.jpeg

Their 3 month break is over.....back in the water next week.....I’ll post pics next week of the resistant bands in action.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
being a paranoid ninny, while your lights appear out of the direct fall path into the pool, I'd recommend a GFIC if not already used.

Nice looking area. one thing will be keeping debris out of the pool with lots of trees. That's about the only think I dislike in my location, lots of trees. They shade up the limited sun we get and drop lots of leaves though out the season.

Last year we used the fully cover than goes over the frame, previous years we liked using a solar cover but with having gaps between the sides, and pulling it out ... we'd drop stuff in.

FYI, if you planned on Salt water and hadn't yet picked up a generator, there are two I noted available.

Both Intex, a 26675EG (Amazon at ~ $232) and a 26679EG (Walmart ~ $329) and noted these as I was looking for my kid who has my older 16 foot soft size. Main difference is capacity .. 26675 is a .3HP motor sized for ~ 1500g/hr or 2600/8500 gal pool, the 26679 is a .75hp moter for ~2100gal/hr or 7000 to 15000 gal pool.

TS
BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update...Day 1 (at least in water)(cold...lol..58 degrees)

Having trouble attaching a video, so here’s a quick screenshot of what it looks like....lol
CDA524C8-5CA3-4580-87A2-12BC3ECE1604.png

Last edited:
TS
BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
being a paranoid ninny, while your lights appear out of the direct fall path into the pool, I'd recommend a GFIC if not already used.

Nice looking area. one thing will be keeping debris out of the pool with lots of trees. That's about the only think I dislike in my location, lots of trees. They shade up the limited sun we get and drop lots of leaves though out the season.

Last year we used the fully cover than goes over the frame, previous years we liked using a solar cover but with having gaps between the sides, and pulling it out ... we'd drop stuff in.

FYI, if you planned on Salt water and hadn't yet picked up a generator, there are two I noted available.

Both Intex, a 26675EG (Amazon at ~ $232) and a 26679EG (Walmart ~ $329) and noted these as I was looking for my kid who has my older 16 foot soft size. Main difference is capacity .. 26675 is a .3HP motor sized for ~ 1500g/hr or 2600/8500 gal pool, the 26679 is a .75hp moter for ~2100gal/hr or 7000 to 15000 gal pool.

Thanks for the tips...

Yes, lights are way back behind pool...but it’s all hooked up to a GFIC outlet(s).

We will have temperature issues here in NEPA....so we did get solar cover....we will have that on anytime girls are not in pool just to try to insulate water temp....at night, solar and reg. cover will go on at night to keep temp/clean(er).

We did go salt water....so that is of course is up and running. All of our products are Intex...(Home Depot/Amazon).

Like I said from beginning...it is what it is....needed something quick/somewhat inexpensive to get girls in water for the next 4 months....(as of today, all our pools here in NEPA have no plans for opening for any of the YMCA/USA swim clubs for the foreseeable future....).

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
Thanks for the tips...

Yes, lights are way back behind pool...but it’s all hooked up to a GFIC outlet(s).

We will have temperature issues here in NEPA....so we did get solar cover....we will have that on anytime girls are not in pool just to try to insulate water temp....at night, solar and reg. cover will go on at night to keep temp/clean(er).

We did go salt water....so that is of course is up and running. All of our products are Intex...(Home Depot/Amazon).

Like I said from beginning...it is what it is....needed something quick/somewhat inexpensive to get girls in water for the next 4 months....(as of today, all our pools here in NEPA have no plans for opening for any of the YMCA/USA swim clubs for the foreseeable future....).

Regarding keeping the water warm. I'll come right out and say that I detest getting in water below 80*. I know most pools for competition are kept around 76-78 or something close to that. I'm not competing so I go for comfort, and by comfort I mean mine. Here are some of the things I've learned along the I'm a cheap bastard, DIY, above ground pool, like to swim journey:

I can't speak to intex pools but for above ground these are things that help and you might be able to adapt to intex.

Insulate everything. I noticed when I had to replace the liner a few years back, I put a gorilla pad underneath and a thin insulating layer around the sides. I noticed it seems to be a few degrees warmer. No scientific method used or a control group, but over all, it seemed a bit warmer by maybe 2-4 degrees on average. The cost wasn't much either. Maybe on an intex you could wrap it around the outside?

The clear solar covers work better than the blue ones. I don't know why but they do. I'm guessing the clear lets the light through like a window does. If you can, wait until the sun is going down to put the main cover on.

I also use solar heater. I have the type that is about 2' x4' and the pool return feeds it and forces water through several channels covered in black. There is a plexiglass cover over it so it to help keep things from collecting. The pollen is high now so it needs to be hosed off now and again. Having them on an angle so the are closer to perpendicular to the sun's rays works a little better (mine are laying down now but I plan to stand them up like I used to have them). You also want them in a spot that gets as much sun as possible. There are other ways to do this with coiled up black pvc lines, but mine was going on a deck and I didn't want it looking too redneck :P

One thing I'm not sure of is what the formula is for adding solar panels to increase the heat. I had one and it was helpful, so I added another and the difference seemed less than I hoped for. They are right next to each other so I'm not really sure what is going on. It must be something in how they are employed or I need to get better ones. How much the heat is increased varies on manufacturer and model. You should expect somewhere between 5 & 10 degrees though.

Regarding leaves and keeping them and pine needles out of the pool - I recently purchased from Inyo Pools a leaf net. It goes over the main/winter cover so you can pull it off while leaving the other cover in place to just get the leaves off. I bought it for the fall here in NH so the clean up in the spring would be easier. It was $60 for my pool size (15 x 30). No idea how it will work as it is staying in the box until the fall.

Have fun,
Ken

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd agree with Ken that I personally like warmer pool.

got the Intex type pool (Summerwave) set up last weekend and daughter wanted to swim next day. I waited one more day before swimming but man ... it was cold. 74F but for first 10 min it may as well been Lake Michigan mid Feb.

I did set up a simple utility pump hooked to ~150 foot of black garden hose (old black Craftsmen H/D hose, 20 yrs old) which works somewhat well for warming the water. I really don't think it raises temp greatly, maybe a few degrees but I like it having it better than not.

Did pick up a used swimspa and get it into back yard - yesterday, craned ... got some work to do on it but found it late last fall and just now got it moved from the former owners house. We wanted a hot tub for years and this seemed a good opportunity.

Resized_20200612_092433.jpeg

TS
BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Regarding keeping the water warm. I'll come right out and say that I detest getting in water below 80*. I know most pools for competition are kept around 76-78 or something close to that. I'm not competing so I go for comfort, and by comfort I mean mine. Here are some of the things I've learned along the I'm a cheap bastard, DIY, above ground pool, like to swim journey:

I can't speak to intex pools but for above ground these are things that help and you might be able to adapt to intex.

Insulate everything. I noticed when I had to replace the liner a few years back, I put a gorilla pad underneath and a thin insulating layer around the sides. I noticed it seems to be a few degrees warmer. No scientific method used or a control group, but over all, it seemed a bit warmer by maybe 2-4 degrees on average. The cost wasn't much either. Maybe on an intex you could wrap it around the outside?

The clear solar covers work better than the blue ones. I don't know why but they do. I'm guessing the clear lets the light through like a window does. If you can, wait until the sun is going down to put the main cover on.

I also use solar heater. I have the type that is about 2' x4' and the pool return feeds it and forces water through several channels covered in black. There is a plexiglass cover over it so it to help keep things from collecting. The pollen is high now so it needs to be hosed off now and again. Having them on an angle so the are closer to perpendicular to the sun's rays works a little better (mine are laying down now but I plan to stand them up like I used to have them). You also want them in a spot that gets as much sun as possible. There are other ways to do this with coiled up black pvc lines, but mine was going on a deck and I didn't want it looking too redneck :P

One thing I'm not sure of is what the formula is for adding solar panels to increase the heat. I had one and it was helpful, so I added another and the difference seemed less than I hoped for. They are right next to each other so I'm not really sure what is going on. It must be something in how they are employed or I need to get better ones. How much the heat is increased varies on manufacturer and model. You should expect somewhere between 5 & 10 degrees though.

Regarding leaves and keeping them and pine needles out of the pool - I recently purchased from Inyo Pools a leaf net. It goes over the main/winter cover so you can pull it off while leaving the other cover in place to just get the leaves off. I bought it for the fall here in NH so the clean up in the spring would be easier. It was $60 for my pool size (15 x 30). No idea how it will work as it is staying in the box until the fall.

Have fun,
Ken

Thank you always for the info.....really appreciate it. We need as much help as possible....lol.

Yeah, it’s been up and daughters have been using it for a few weeks now. We keep it covered with the blue solar cover at all times except when somebody is in it....but because of our cool weather/nights, the BIG negative has been cold water temp. It’s been consistently around 68 degrees...with the highest at 71 degrees during the couple of days last week of high 80’s/humid weather. After a frost warning last night...lol....it’s back down to 67 this am. We need more direct sunlight to hit it.....the canopy of trees it sits under is a problem.

Over the past few weeks the girls get in daily and do abbreviated workouts on their resistance bands but have to get out because it’s been just too cold to stay in for more than 30 minutes. It’s not giving them what we were imagining....

So we have had to look to some other options. We contacted Woodloch Springs (locally owned resort in our area)...with indoor/outdoor pools that are up and running for guests. As a non-guest, the girls call in the am...reserve a lane first thing at 10am for an hour time slot and finally gives them an opportunity to do a workout together like they have done their entire lives...so it’s some sense of normalcy....albeit only an hour, compared to their usual team practices...but it’s something. (their Y/USA team is still shutdown here in NEPA)

Thanks again for the heating tips....we need em’...

TS
BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd agree with Ken that I personally like warmer pool.

got the Intex type pool (Summerwave) set up last weekend and daughter wanted to swim next day. I waited one more day before swimming but man ... it was cold. 74F but for first 10 min it may as well been Lake Michigan mid Feb.

I did set up a simple utility pump hooked to ~150 foot of black garden hose (old black Craftsmen H/D hose, 20 yrs old) which works somewhat well for warming the water. I really don't think it raises temp greatly, maybe a few degrees but I like it having it better than not.

Did pick up a used swimspa and get it into back yard - yesterday, craned ... got some work to do on it but found it late last fall and just now got it moved from the former owners house. We wanted a hot tub for years and this seemed a good opportunity.

View attachment 104393

Man...u struck gold on a SwimSpa. Used makes it probably very reasonable...and sounds like you can do the work to get it going. Good for you guys. Good luck.

Sponsor

Staff online