• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboat Lodging

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
We're planning a big family trip to Steamboat next March, and we're looking for slopeside lodging. We've stayed in town and in the Ski Times Square condos in the past, but this time we are looking for a condo with the most convenient access to the gondola and Christie lift. I'm thinking maybe Antlers,but is there another choice?

dm

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There's a wide variety and selection out there, depends a lot not only on what you feel is ski in/out (or convenient access) but too dollars and amenities.

I've been hitting Steamboat for 15 yrs or so and trended to stay slopeside with kids, so one big criteria was a Pool and washer and dryer. Next was number of rooms. I then would preference a ski in (down hill) at end of day verses "any" walking due to kid burn out fears.

Can you give some criteria? I've stayed at the Ptarmigan House, Ptarmigan Inn, Snowflower, Phoenix, Torien Plum, Kutek, Ski Inn, LaCasa, etc.

Too, you looking via a resort or VRBO type setup. Each have advantages. Anyhow, happy to try and give opinion and/or experience on locations I've stayed or know of ..

pete

TS
Dave Marshak

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I think we need a 4 bedroom condo. I'd like to be able to ski to it at the end of the day and to ski to the gondola and christie lift without walking across any roads or parking lots. We have some small children so I don 't want to be too far up the hill. We've stayed at Ski Times Square condos, but that's too far to walk for this trip. I don't care about a hot tub or pool, but I'd like to be near the TBar or Slopeside grill.
Just by looking at the map, Antlers, Christie Club or Storm Meadows East would all be good. I don't think your gonna get any of those on Airbnb or VRBO.

dm

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
edgemont and bear claw are fine but he wanted to be near to Tbar/slopside

But dont forget Paramount; best food at the base and much less crowded and noisy

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree with above,

4 bdrm on Ski Time Square wise Atlers and Christie Club are pretty nice locations. Kutuk if not needing a pool, they have Hot Tub and quite reasonable depending on from where and unit renting.

Torian Plum has a fare share of 3 bdrms if one can cut cut down, might have a couple of bigger units but overall a pricer place. Location wise they're just behind the Slopeside grill. They do have nice pool but it's a bit of walk unless in the Creekside units (I believe I haven't this backwards).

A few rentals offer discounted lifts depending on mgmt company/owner.

Antler's and Torian closest to noted bars, Kutuk not really much further but morning wise one has to hike across the square via T Bar or Slopeside for access. So Storm Meadows East Slopeside would be a longer walk either to or fro Ski Time Square. All these do have ski in unless there is a super warm 2018 March.

TS
Dave Marshak

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Bearclaw actually looks like the optimum spot, but maybe it's to spendy. I think I've stayed in Kutuk but it was a little too much walking in ski boots. It's looking like Antler's or Christie East are the best choices.

dm

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
as @pete correctly said, it does depend on snowfall. If the selection is based on walking to the TBAR or Slopeside, then you are limited.

TS
Dave Marshak

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The key thing is easy access to the beginner area and gondola, and easy return from the slopes. Close to TBar is a plus, but not essential.

dm

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
not sure of your budget but have you looked into One Steamboat? That really ticks all the boxes.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
just throwing this out but I am a Base club member and you can buy passes for your stay. you can stay off mountain (still my preference) and then have parking, short walk to the club (which is located in torian plum just behind the Paramount), lockers, ski and boot storage ski in/out and best of all, access to use the Ski school line in the AM.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ron, you know he planning for th Rough Rider Learning Center and it's completion? Doubt next year but noted what seemed to be concrete work for a gondi or lift?

Terms of places opposite Ski Time Square, aka Bear Claw area, there's a few more choices. If really wishing to stay ski in/out with minimal if any walking, then I'd really map it and use Steamboat Resorts Central bookings to find locations. I will toss some out or can reply on places of interest if I know their location well.

Chateau Chamonix is right the hill just down from Bear Claw. Edgemont one up between the two I believe. Both are newer and I presume pricier you step out on the hill just above or next to upper hill ski schools.

The Ptarmigan House (condo not hotel) is pretty close too and a very short walk (or one can cut through the Ptarmigan Inn) across their parking lot up a short grade and come out essentially between the Kids Ski School and Teen/Adult Ski Schools. Returning is down the same path you walk up so in essence you only walk up hill for maybe 75 to 100yds. One nice thing is if you need your ski's waxed, there's a Christie's the Inn, no major work on ski's but handy to drop off and pick up in the morning coming and going from slope.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
there was a lift planned for the future but that's not happening anytime soon especially with new ownership. (need to see what they prioritize) . Cham is possible but that's not going to be any less $ than edgemont really (yes, less but still high). You know the boat, there's a lot of really nice properties all within 200-500 yards but he doesn't want to walk.

in my mind, Anything near the base is easy access to the gondi or christi lift

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
in @Ron I trust! Very true as noted, right on the slope is a significant $ adder. I miss the Thunderhead having "found" it the year before they tore it down ... now were the T-Bar is ... such a sad waste as while dated, Condo's were cheap and you could only trip out the door onto the slopes! ogsmile

@Dave Marshak, if searching I'd recommend Steamboat Central (steamboat.com under lodging) and plug in your needs. Steamboat is pretty nice about identifying the listing/management agency so one can then if desired shop around. I myself don't use Steamboat Central but have noted that they offer a decent all inclusive options and discounts. This being you can bundle discounts including Ski School.

Note too, a 5 day or more adult will give you an equal free Kids lift for 12yr and younger (5 and under ski free regardless)

Good thing is you have time to search and read up on property reviews. One thing is that units can vary a lot quality/furnishing wise and if not wishing to walk much, upper floor may be more a hassle than a slightly longer walk.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
also www.retreatia.com for lodging and discounted lift tickets. Michael manages almost 200 properties; most are 'mountain" properties
true, Retreatia has grown significantly since a Steamboat Resorts was acquired. Not knocking big boys but a growing company often reflects on how an organization treats their customers .. so good for Retreatia.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
true, Retreatia has grown significantly since a Steamboat Resorts was acquired. Not knocking big boys but a growing company often reflects on how an organization treats their customers .. so good for Retreatia.

keep in mind Wyndham runs the resort bookings........

TS
Dave Marshak

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't know about Retrearia, but it looks like they have some properties that will work for us.

dm

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I would take @pete 's advice and also call the resort. Look into all possibilities! Let me know if you decide to come out and we'll make some turns. :thumb:

Sponsor

Staff online