• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rossignol Sender Free 110 Reviews

Gkula

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Anyone have experience with the +1 mount yet on the 191s? Liked the skis a lot at recommended but just downsized my shell and adjusting the bindings puts me +1 from rec. gonna get out on them soon just wanted to see what I might expect if anyone’s tried it out already at this mount.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone have experience with the +1 mount yet on the 191s? Liked the skis a lot at recommended but just downsized my shell and adjusting the bindings puts me +1 from rec. gonna get out on them soon just wanted to see what I might expect if anyone’s tried it out already at this mount.
I think @ski otter 2 has tried it at +0.5

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Did you move down 2 boot sizes then?
Honestly there’s a common thought that those with shorter sole boots(usually under 27.5 boots) usually like their mounts up a bit(.5 cm or so per boot size) vs those larger than 27.5 who usually favour mounts back a bit.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm a lighter guy, but for me, the Sender 110/191 got so turny and easy at just +0.5 cm. that going farther forward
made little sense, in my case. (My boot size is yer basic 26.5.)

And at the middle rec. line, I felt as much ski in front of me at the tips as I did at first with a long FIS GS ski, or my Bode
Crosson Dissenter 78s at first - a lot; so going back farther to -1, for me, became a low priority (curiosity at some point instead
of a good mount point in my case) - sorry, @GregK, for now. So far, with all three skis - the Sender Free 110/191, my FIS GS 188/30s,
and my Bode Miller 78s - by the end of a first run or two I'd adjusted to the feel of the extra tip in front, so that all three felt probably
mount point right for, say, GS-type carved turns as a starting point.

Recently there was a fellow on GS skis right in front of me in shallow crud one run, and I was matching him turn for turn on those Sender
Free 110/191s, carve for carve, at the middle rec. line. :)

P.S. I just have to go by my own instincts and feel for these things. The Salomon Blank 112/194 just has its own dynamics: it's always felt just
right at the rec. line. It's so different a ski, experientially - different feel. (And it has such a long, shallow tip and tail rise to its rocker -
not like the more abrupt Rossi Sender Free 110.) Both skis wonderful; overlapping use.

Gkula

Skier
Did you move down 2 boot sizes then?
Honestly there’s a common thought that those with shorter sole boots(usually under 27.5 boots) usually like their mounts up a bit(.5 cm or so per boot size) vs those larger than 27.5 who usually favour mounts back a bit.
I moved down from a 27.5 to a 26.5 just went to look at it again to make sure and it is in between the rec and progressive mark about 1 cm. Gonna ski it and decide was trying to see if I’m gonna have to remount. The plus +1 on the other pair of skis took a little bit of getting used to lol. What are your thoughts with .5 or -1 behind rec?

Gkula

Skier
I'm a lighter guy, but for me, the Sender 110/191 got so turny and easy at just +0.5 cm. that going farther forward
made little sense, in my case. (My boot size is yer basic 26.5.)

And at the middle rec. line, I felt as much ski in front of me at the tips as I did at first with a long FIS GS ski, or my Bode
Crosson Dissenter 78s at first - a lot; so going back farther to -1, for me, became a low priority (curiosity at some point instead
of a good mount point in my case) - sorry, @GregK, for now. So far, with all three skis - the Sender Free 110/191, my FIS GS 188/30s,
and my Bode Miller 78s - by the end of a first run or two I'd adjusted to the feel of the extra tip in front, so that all three felt probably
mount point right for, say, GS-type carved turns as a starting point.

Recently there was a fellow on GS skis right in front of me in shallow crud one run, and I was matching him turn for turn on those Sender
Free 110/191s, carve for carve, at the middle rec. line. :)

P.S. I just have to go by my own instincts and feel for these things. The Salomon Blank 112/194 just has its own dynamics: it's always felt just
right at the rec. line. It's so different a ski, experientially - different feel. (And it has such a long, shallow tip and tail rise to its rocker -
not like the more abrupt Rossi Sender Free 110.) Both skis wonderful; overlapping use.
Thanks for the input, I rly enjoyed these at rec mount point felt like there was a good balance of maneuverability while still being able to drive them with a fairly centered stance. Think I’m going to have to try them and might end up needing to remount

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I moved down from a 27.5 to a 26.5 just went to look at it again to make sure and it is in between the rec and progressive mark about 1 cm. Gonna ski it and decide was trying to see if I’m gonna have to remount. The plus +1 on the other pair of skis took a little bit of getting used to lol. What are your thoughts with .5 or -1 behind rec?
Maybe original mount was slightly ahead of the line or the shell length of the 26.5 is lower too? Surprised if there was a 20mm difference in sole length of 2 boots. Usually around a 10mm sole length difference, so a .5cm more forward of the midpoint.
Definitely not worth a remount as there will probably be a bigger difference in the boot change than the mount change.

Gkula

Skier
Maybe original mount was slightly ahead of the line or the shell length of the 26.5 is lower too? Surprised if there was a 20mm difference in sole length of 2 boots. Usually around a 10mm sole length difference, so a .5cm more forward of the midpoint.
Definitely not worth a remount as there will probably be a bigger difference in the boot change than the mount change.
Oh yeah you’re right went from a 27.5 mindbender mv to a 26.5 Mach 1 lv looks like it’s abt 10 mm difference, other shop must’ve mounted slightly farther ahead like you said. Thanks for your help was overthinking the change a little to much

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Oh yeah you’re right went from a 27.5 mindbender mv to a 26.5 Mach 1 lv looks like it’s abt 10 mm difference, other shop must’ve mounted slightly farther ahead like you said. Thanks for your help was overthinking the change a little to much
Perfect!
Also remember that in your case, it’s not like the typical demo binding mount position change with both the heel AND toe piece moving backward or forward which would effect things like float, turn initiation etc.
Your toe piece is remaining in the same spot and the heel piece moved to compensate for the boot shell size.

The point of those boot sizing formulas is to try and keep the toe piece/start of the boot/ball of your foot in a similar spot which is exactly what is happening in your scenario.

You will notice the differences in boot forward lean, flex etc between the new/old boots more.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just finished a full day at mammoth on my 191 SF 110 mounted at minus 2 of rec. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. No regrets selling my CT3 184 now. Unbelievable.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been on the 191 Rossi SF 110 a few times more, in a few inches of fresh. I'm grateful.

I took out the Salomon Blanks 112/194 today, Sunday, 3" fresh on top of 8" fresh from yesterday.
To me it's a dead heat between the Salomons at rec. line and the Rossi 191 SF 110s at about + 0.3 forward or on the rec. line - either great.
(For a 150 lbs/5'10" old guy.)

Neither is as tank-like as the 118s. Both carve better.

Two great skis, about equally wonderful. The Rossis have a longer and more precise effective edge, maybe a bit longer turns,
but both do long and short turns well. They cut through powder/crud about equally, the Rossis with about the same float as
the Black Ops 118/186, since they are longer. Both are great through rough uneven, the Rossis with more cut through dampness,
the Blanks with more lift and bounce, maybe.

The 194 Blanks have a longer, shallower rocker, and fatter tip area, so they float and drift slightly more - smoothly; but carve almost as well.
And they are turny also.
(At a demo last year, I and a Salomon rep (or two) agreed that the Quest Blank 112 carves better on groomers than any of the
other skis in the recent Quest line, 80s up through their Quest 106.)

It's a bit more and longer carve and precision (Rossi), versus just a bit more tip float/drift with a shorter but wonderful carve also (Blank).

On groomers think I'd rather be on the Rossis, and on soft snow also when what's under the soft snow tends to be more noticeable:
the more the carve wanted, the more I'd pick those SF 110/191s - maybe. (A "can't lose" choice.)

The deeper the snow, up to maybe 5" or so plus, the more I might want to be on the Blanks. Dunno. If I'm not feeling a hard bottom,
then maybe the Blanks by a nose. (Hard to say.)

The Rossis are more easeful, maybe, but it's close.

Both are so good it's like a flip of the coin to decide which to go with on a given day. A tie. :thumb:

Last edited:

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll add more later, but I agree with Ski otter's take on the SF110 complementing the BO118. Started the day at mammoth with the BO118 in about a foot to 1.5 feet of fresh powder. BO118 was noticeably more surfer than the Sender Free 110, but I probably would have been happy on either skis. Past noon (still lots of stashes and windbuff), I switched over to the Sender Free 110 since the groomers back to the lifts were getting bumpy (not cruddy or chop, just bumps). AMAZING. Ski felt much easier and versatile in those conditions. Longer length alleviated any concerns about loss of floatation and I happily used the Senders to farm deep stashes till closing. Will likely be using the Senders when they pop the top tomorrow.

1000001687.jpg

Last edited:
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Was on my CT 1.0, then 184cm Sender Free 110 and my latest set of Blackops 118 for the final hour or so of the day. Heavy, Spring snow with some refrozen underneath and frozen marbles in spots especially in the afternoon.

Found the Sender Free 110 seemed noticeably more surfy and loose when flat than the CT 1.0 but I figured it was the increased rocker and the fact I just had a regrind on the CT 1.0 to reset the base bevels down a bit. Still felt great on edge but not as confidence inspiring when flat and between turns.
Never had the Sender Free 110 ground yet as they looked flat with a straight edge and felt okay the first time out but I think the refrozen, marble like snow highlighted some base high issues.
When I switched to the Blackops 118 my suspicions were confirmed as they felt much more solid and less surfy when flat. Getting a grind on the Sender Free 110 tomorrow morning and will try them out after.

Still loving the Sender Free 110 and hoping the grind will make them even better. Also liking the -3cm mount on the Sender Free 110s and the -2.5cm mount on the Blackops 118. Nice and stable there but they still no problem initiating turns at moderate speeds too.
Swapping skis had no learning curve as they all have such a similar feel to them.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Forgot to say that the bases are quite durable. Not sure what material it is but it's taking rocks like a champion
Felt hitting things out west with my previous pair of BO 118 but no damage to be found after, so they are tough too!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Had my 184cm Sender Free 110 stone ground this morning while I skied my CT 1.0. Switched around lunchtime to the Sender Free 110 and they were transformed vs yesterday where they were feeling sketchy and loose in the variable conditions.
Even though they didn’t look that bad to the eye, the tech did 15 manual passes per ski and the stone didn’t even hit the edges, just reduced a high center of the ski.

The SF 110 instantly felt comfortable after a few turns and was just going to try them out for a bit as they weren’t waxed or brass brushed yet but ending up skiing them the rest of the day. All the great things I love about the 21 CT 3.0 but with the softer tips/tails and rubber damping absorbing the terrain even better. Even easier in bumps too which I loved the CT 3.0 there. Think they might be a touch easier at lower speeds too but with similar top end and carving performance with similar mount points.

Had a blast ripping with all the jr racers that were there today with their FIS SL skis and was shocked that I was going turn for turn with many of them today on both the CT 1.0 and SF 110 skis.

Have already gone over the bases and edges again and looking forward to taking them out again to compare with the Blackops 118 along with the 190cm CT 3.0.

IMG_3992.jpeg
IMG_3993.jpeg

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been on the 191 Rossi SF 110 a few times more, in a few inches of fresh. I'm grateful.

I took out the Salomon Blanks 112/194 today, Sunday, 3" fresh on top of 8" fresh from yesterday.
To me it's a dead heat between the Salomons at rec. line and the Rossi 191 SF 110s at about + 0.3 forward or on the rec. line - either great.
(For a 150 lbs/5'10" old guy.)

Neither is as tank-like as the 118s. Both carve better.

Two great skis, about equally wonderful. The Rossis have a longer and more precise effective edge, maybe a bit longer turns,
but both do long and short turns well. They cut through powder/crud about equally, the Rossis with about the same float as
the Black Ops 118/186, since they are longer. Both are great through rough uneven, the Rossis with more cut through dampness,
the Blanks with more lift and bounce, maybe.

The 194 Blanks have a longer, shallower rocker, and fatter tip area, so they float and drift slightly more - smoothly; but carve almost as well.
And they are turny also.
(At a demo last year, I and a Salomon rep (or two) agreed that the Quest Blank 112 carves better on groomers than any of the
other skis in the recent Quest line, 80s up through their Quest 106.)

It's a bit more and longer carve and precision (Rossi), versus just a bit more tip float/drift with a shorter but wonderful carve also (Blank).

On groomers think I'd rather be on the Rossis, and on soft snow also when what's under the soft snow tends to be more noticeable:
the more the carve wanted, the more I'd pick those SF 110/191s - maybe. (A "can't lose" choice.)

The deeper the snow, up to maybe 5" or so plus, the more I might want to be on the Blanks. Dunno. If I'm not feeling a hard bottom,
then maybe the Blanks by a nose. (Hard to say.)

The Rossis are more easeful, maybe, but it's close.

Both are so good it's like a flip of the coin to decide which to go with on a given day. A tie. :thumb:
It's not a Blank, but the little "sibling" of the blank :D Wife is super excited to try them out!

1707592404792.png

Last edited:
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Had my CT 1.0, my Sender Free 110 and then Blackops 118 out again yesterday. The SF 110 much more similar to the BO 118 now after its grind and retune. Both nice and loose and easy to pivot when flat but rip once on edge. Refrozen Spring conditions past noon and both were great in it.

SF110 just faster edge to edge and lighter to whip around as expected with the BO 118 improving suspension. Was again impressed by how the 184cm Sender Free 110 could hold it’s own through the heavy crud and glad I mounted further back(-3cm/-6.25cm total) on them to make them ski longer. Good mix of stability while still being super easy for my 175lbs.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Had the 184cm Sender Free 110 out all day yesterday in Spring conditions with soft snow and above 0C temps from opening bell.

Like the fantastic 184cm 21 CT 3.0 they carve amazingly well and don’t require tons of speed to come to life. I find the softer tips/tails even easier to maneuver into very tight carves and they absorb the terrain even better. Initiate turns easily at -3cm so glad I mounted there as their mix of playful/stable is great for my 175lbs.
Was going to take out the 190cm CT 3.0 after lunch but wind against you along going down and the slow snow stopped that swap and they stayed in the car.

IMG_4091.jpeg

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Funny story about the Sender Free 110-At Lake Louise yesterday and with lots of new snow there were lots of wider skis out and saw about 15 pairs of the Sender Free 110 on the hill. Just stopped for a break at the bottom of the hill and while getting out of my Blackops 118 skis, I noticed a skier about to step into his set of Sender Free 110 skis. Asked him how he liked them and he noticed my BO 118 and then asked “are you on TGR?” and turns out I helped him with advice on mount points on that ski and I’m the reason he’s been seeking out 21 Faction CT skis.
Small world!!! Haha

Sponsor

Staff online