• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rossignol Black Ops Gamer 118, the best powder/crud ski being made? (at least for lighter and some medium sized skiers)

TS
S

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Upon further reflection,
my two most recently tried ultra chargers (both on and some off piste) that I've liked a lot have been
the Rossignol Sender Squad 112 at rec. line, and the old K2 Pettitor 120 at rec. line up to +2.
(Any farther forward, and the Pettitor is no longer an ultra charger - it becomes too easy to ski,
and less speed exclusive - it's good for more than ultra speed.) By "ultra" I mean a ski that masquerades
as a recreational ski, in that it actually is roughly the equivalent of a Super G race ski, in terms of
how it does going fast. It's just on a different level from normal skis.

I'm an old guy, and for safety's sake, and sheer common sense, I don't want to any longer tempt myself
in this way - too much. I keep telling myself, just make those rounded GS turns, one then another in creative,
varied ways, and go slower that way.

So the only long and heavy charger skis I want to actually own anymore are the ones that can do what the Pro
(and ultra) Pettitor can do, and that is, be more versatile, maybe make GS turns or make lots of silly easy turns
at more normal speeds also: mostly, only fast enough to be passed now and then most runs,
rather than only once or twice most days. :)

For myself, same would go for the Heritage Lab skis.

TS
S

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Dang, just like that, there is another pair of 189 (pull 190) Pettitors up for sale, this one better priced, asking $199 plus $32 shipping, from Vail,
with no inappropriate bindings included, and what look like very good bases.

(The pattern of the binding holes looks to possibly be for fixed Marker Royals, and an extra drill hole added to this would make it work for
older Marker demo bindings, if this is so.)

This version/season's is the one I first got, and still use: wow.
(The last eBay offering was for a pair maybe three or four years later, the mustard red ones.)
(I'm not so happy about the blue version's graphics, some of which I've covered with
blue painter's tape, to hide the worst of it. That tape has never come off.)

It's interesting to me that two pairs of these are coming online nationally, and from here in Colorado.
The resort powder ski preference these days is for narrower skis that do crud and groomers pretty well also, I guess.
But perhaps this indicates how long this model has been in existence - over a dozen years or so, from the first models.
Or perhaps a few of the new fatter skis are now being made that would in some ways rival that original ski performance-wise, and
probably be lighter weight also. (Or it might be that skiing styles have changed, and skiers are just more active with their feet, with
skis that are lighter and less damp, and with technique that tends to be more freestyle than freeride these days.) Dunno.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
There’s an online TGR buddy with a set of the new 186cm Sender Free 118 coming in that he’s not sure he’ll be able to use. Asking $600 US plus shipping in the US only. Message me if interested and I can pass his info on.

Again, the SF 118 is the same ski as the Blackops 118 but they have shorter rubber sheets tip/tail to show off the AirTip like in the Sender Free 110 which should reduce swing weight a hair. Back to a metal binding retention plate vs the ABS of the Swamps.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Pic of the Blackops 118 swamps and Tatums inside of Tatum Monod’s family store in Banff.

IMG_4194.jpeg
IMG_4196.jpeg

Suntrip

Booting up
Skier
Hello fellow ski enthusiasts. I am very close to buying a pair of these skies, but I am a bit unsure about the different models. I have the possibility to get a “new” unused pair of Blackops Gamer 118mm in 186cm length, for quite a good price. Is this the same version as the newest Blackops 118 versions?
I already have a DPS A112 powder ski for touring and going out in the trees, but I am missing something a bit more stable and better in crud and run-up powder for going in and out from the slopes. Looking for more a charger type of ski for powder and heavy crud.

Would this ski be a good alternative for this? I am 181cm in length and around 73kg in weight.

And what binding placement would be a good starting point for me?

dwoovre

Booting up
Skier
The Gamer is the same construction as the “current” model with the alligator top sheets.

For 2024-2025, the construction is updated, but those skis have only hit a limited market in the last couple weeks and are not widely available yet.

For mounting point discussion, check out the Blister review. They liked it mounted 2-3 cm back from the recommended line, but only you know your style.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Would this ski be a good alternative for this? I am 181cm in length and around 73kg in weight.

And what binding placement would be a good starting point for me?
Would be an awesome ski for your needs and night and day better than your current DPS skis in heavy crud.
For around 160lbs, most users are in the -2cm to -2.5cm from Rec area to keep the swing weight light.

The Gamer has the exact same construction as the current Swamps with the exception of the Gamer having metal underfoot for binding retention vs ABS on the Swamps and a different graphic.
Next year on the Sender Free 118, they are going back to the metal underfoot and have just slightly shorter rubber sheets for damping tip/tail that no longer cover up the perforated plastic spacers(AirTips) that have apparently been there since inception.
So basically get the graphic you like the best on the greatest deal!

Large

Booting up
Skier
Anyone seen these yet???

2025 ROSSIGNOL SENDER FREE 118

"The birth child of the Blackops 118 and Sender Free 110 is here. Featuring the same Air Tip technology as the Sender Free 110, and at 118 underfoot, this is the ultimate ski for shredding pow after a big storm."

My bad if this has all ready been posted. I was searching around to see if there were any deals to be had on a SF 110 in 191. Looks like this shop is only selling them at 186?? Are they ever going to make this or the BlackOps bigger??

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone seen these yet???

"The birth child of the Blackops 118 and Sender Free 110 is here. Featuring the same Air Tip technology as the Sender Free 110, and at 118 underfoot, this is the ultimate ski for shredding pow after a big storm."

My bad if this has all ready been posted. I was searching around to see if there were any deals to be had on a SF 110 in 191. Looks like this shop is only selling them at 186?? Are they ever going to make this or the BlackOps bigger??
I can't tell you how much I despise you for getting my hopes up thinking they finally released a 190+ 118.

Regardless, if Rossignol doesn't release it next year, I may go with one of Marshal's creations

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Anyone seen these yet???

See my post above for the very small changes vs the Blackops 118-shorter rubber sheets tip/tail to show off the AirTips and going back to metal underfoot for binding retention. So, basically the same ski as the Blackops 118 but with similar graphics to the Sender Free 110. Pics somewhere in this thread of them.

Already available for sale but no lengths other than 176cm and 186cm still. :doh:

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Mine are for sale

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Had my Blackops 118(-2.5cm at 175lbs) out yesterday in about 5” of fresh snow at Sunshine Village and they were an absolute blast from the start. The skis/snow weren’t sticking like a week ago so felt instantly comfortable this time. Find that slight -2.25cm to -2.5cm change seems to make a difference as I never felt any “I’ve got to change my stance for float” at anytime today like I did last year occasionally on my old set.

Think I may bring them out again today even though there’s just a dusting of new snow.

Met a Billy Goat owner who was loving them in the fresh but not on the tracked out and scrapped off groomers that were slippery in sections. The Blackops 118 were great in those too as were a friends Unleashed 114s.

IMG_4303.jpeg

sinrivers

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all, just bought a pair of these @186 and loving them so far. The current setup is for inbounds skiing g, but would love to take th on some Backcountry runs. Anyone have experience touring with them, say with daymakers (or in any way actually) ? I'm not considering super long hikes, just a short hike to access some fresh lines, etc. Thanks!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hi all, just bought a pair of these @186 and loving them so far. The current setup is for inbounds skiing g, but would love to take th on some Backcountry runs. Anyone have experience touring with them, say with daymakers (or in any way actually) ? I'm not considering super long hikes, just a short hike to access some fresh lines, etc. Thanks!
I don’t have any experience myself but I’m sure it would be a nice workout! Haha
I have seen some CAST mounted Blackops 118 before though, so it has been done.

Suntrip

Booting up
Skier
Ended up buying a pair of Black Ops Gamer 118 186cm, since I was able to buy them for a very nice price.

I plan to install CAST on mine with Look Pivots 15. This will be a very heavy setup, but I will be able to easily reach the untouched powder around the local slopes where i mostly ski. I can report back later on how I feel the setup is working. I know Jacob Wester (Pro Skier) uses CAST on the Blackops 118 and he also uses this setup on quite heavy climbs.

(Speaking Swedish, but he really likes the Blackops 118)

Last edited:

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PSA for anyone in Canada looking for the BO 118 Swamps in 176 only, Sportchek has them for $309 $C.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online