• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I believe the 85 might ski a bit shorter than the 84, but that may be mere belief. I own the 84 in 168, and I've skied the 85, but now I can't remember whether it was the 165 or the 173. Possibly the 173. In any case, there's more tip rise in the 85, and I believe more rise in the tail as well. At your height, a 173 wouldn't be too much. For the Midwest, choose the HP. It's not too much ski for you, and the edge grip is (in my experience, possibly colored by the non-HP's tune) much stronger (Ron). If you're thinking more ski for the Western Paradise Land, the non-HP should do you fine.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I scored a pair of the 3rd generation 15-16 FX 85s (no metal) at the end of the (New England) season with a low-ball bid for $335 shipped. Bought them un-demo'd, basically on the strength of SB's review. Brand new with Attack demos. I'd been waiting for more time on the ski before posting a note, but since this thread seems to be active at the moment I'll put in my two cents.

Me: 5' 7" 130lbs, East coaster. Beer leaguer. Level 8-ish.
Skis: 2014-15 Kastle FX 84 @168cm, 2015-16 Kastle FX 85 non-HP @165cm
Looking for the elusive daily driver.

I had demo'd the 2nd generation 14-15 FX 84s early season 2014 in very limited terrain on hard snow and liked them. Bought a pair early this season when shops were getting rid of them due to the design change for 15-16. After several days on them here and in Aspen I decided they were not quite what I was hoping they'd be. Surprisingly nice ski on groomers; lovely, stable, and trampoline-y at speed in shallow chop and easy round bumps; but a bit of a handful in steep deep-troughed moguls, trees, and other low-speed technical terrain.

So I now have exactly one day on the new FX 85. Conditions were what by rights should have been full-on spring corn at Sunday River, on a sunny calm 55 degree day. In practice it was ... not exactly that. There were precious few bumps to be found. Presumably they've been grooming them out to preserve the limited remaining cover. Something about the "snow"pack this year ... even on really warm days that shiny translucent blue-gray cake of ice still underlies everything and raises its ugly head everywhere among the big sugar piles. To be sure, it was eminently edgeable ice on this particular day, but it was still ice. Not corn, not potatoes, not slush. Ice. Anyway, I spent about half the day lapping White Heat despite the shiny stuff, just because there were a few bumps there, and less sloppy slushy runout than elsewhere.

So... this ski does ski pretty darn short. "Well, duh," I hear you saying. "Look at them." Yeah, I know. You're right. But still: If a 168 FX 84 was a bit of a handful, a revised version at 165 should probably be perfect. Right? (I ski a 155 SL, so I'm not shy about going short with the right ski.) Well, the jury is still out on that. Part of me thinks the 173 might have been a better choice, even though that's generally a long size for me, based on experience. The design is SO different between the two skis. The 2nd gen skis like an "MX lite," to use James's phrase. At my size it's a like a gentle little GS ski, which is a great thing in the right circumstance. (Bumps are not the right circumstance.) The 3rd gen is, indeed, much friendlier in bumps and on steeps at low velocity. At speed on choppy groomers, though, it gives up a whole lot of stability to the 84. Much turnier. Much more flighty. When you look at the two skis together it's immediately obvious that the 168 FX 84 is going to have WAY more edge on the snow. I'm guessing it's probably about the same amount of edge the 173 FX 85 would have, if not more. Now, it's entirely possible that on a normal firm mid-season groomer the shorter 85 would feel just fine. My one day on them did not offer that particular condition, so I can't say. Ditto on true hard-snow grip. So, more testing is in order. :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I believe the 85 might ski a bit shorter than the 84, but that may be mere belief. I own the 84 in 168, and I've skied the 85, but now I can't remember whether it was the 165 or the 173. Possibly the 173. In any case, there's more tip rise in the 85, and I believe more rise in the tail as well. At your height, a 173 wouldn't be too much. For the Midwest, choose the HP. It's not too much ski for you, and the edge grip is (in my experience, possibly colored by the non-HP's tune) much stronger (Ron). If you're thinking more ski for the Western Paradise Land, the non-HP should do you fine.
The 165 on the FX85 definitely skis shorter than 168 in the FX84. For me that was a good difference. For someone else that may influence getting the 173.

IMHO Kastle's gap between lengths was too big so someone may fall into the "in-between" sizes class. I think the new length gaps are much better.

James

Out There
Instructor
One day.....Kastle will get the sizing right.
Will anyone still be around?

"If a Kastle falls in the right size does anyone notice?"

Answer: Still waiting for that...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One day.....Kastle will get the sizing right.
Will anyone still be around?

"If a Kastle falls in the right size does anyone notice?"

Answer: Still waiting for that...
I think Kastle did get the sizing right... 7-8cm increments is fine, they chose to go 8. I have no problem with the the results from the FX/BMX or the new MX.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Kastle did get the sizing right... 7-8cm increments is fine, they chose to go 8. I have no problem with the the results from the FX/BMX or the new MX.

Actually the FX 8x has been 8cm right along. 160, 168, 176, 184, as I recall. Now they have just moved to 157, 165, 173, 181. I happen to like the first set, but that's pure preference. It was the MX/BMX that were the problem children, right?

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Been on my FX85 HP's for three days now in pretty much all conditions. Rock-hard refrozen groomers is the only question mark -- something the ski isn't made for. Everywhere else the ski is just pure money. They handled the 8-12" of powder I skied today wonderfully. I only wish they made a 188-189 length.
Wonder though if maybe these would've handled the powder better...
image.jpeg

@Philpug, you must've had a turn or two on these in the day.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Rock-hard refrozen groomers is the only question mark -- something the ski isn't made for. Everywhere else the ski is just pure money.
View attachment 6663

Meaning you skied them on hard snow and were unimpressed — or you're not sure? I've skied them on NE ice, and edge-grip-wise, they're fine. But maybe we're talking about the different things.

James

Out There
Instructor
Been on my FX85 HP's for three days now in pretty much all conditions. Rock-hard refrozen groomers is the only question mark -- something the ski isn't made for. Everywhere else the ski is just pure money. They handled the 8-12" of powder I skied today wonderfully. I only wish they made a 188-189 length.
Wonder though if maybe these would've handled the powder better...
View attachment 6663
That's a capital 'H' Hart. Which means it's the Japanese Hart. I think. A different company.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's a capital 'H' Hart. Which means it's the Japanese Hart. I think. A different company.
Actually all the 80's Harts had that logo. It is a US Hart, for whatever that meant, the ski was probably made in Europe or a former Soviet block country.

James

Out There
Instructor
Actually all the 80's Harts had that logo. It is a US Hart, for whatever that meant, the ski was probably made in Europe or a former Soviet block country.

Surprised they never came out with a "Barracuda" model.
Heart_-_Barracuda.png

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Surprised they never came out with a "Barracuda" model.
Heart_-_Barracuda.png
I know they had the Javelin, Camaro, Firebird, Mustang and the hart font they used was called "hemi", I am sure there was a Cuda in there.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Meaning you skied them on hard snow and were unimpressed — or you're not sure? I've skied them on NE ice, and edge-grip-wise, they're fine. But maybe we're talking about the different things.

I skied them on the refreeze. The edge hold, once into the turn, was fine. The tip shape and rocker make the ski a tad slower to engage than I prefer in firm conditions. As long as I was patient the FX did it's job.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I skied them on the refreeze. The edge hold, once into the turn, was fine. The tip shape and rocker make the ski a tad slower to engage than I prefer in firm conditions. As long as I was patient the FX did it's job.

Oh, right. It's a bit slow to hook up, for sure. Tip pressure seems to help, but you're right, no carver.

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
The 85 isn't really for rippin groomers but it's design excels in bumps and off piste. Still lovin the 85. I'm not sure why they topped it out at 181 though, A 189 would sell well I think.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When you’re visiting Aspen and you bump into Chris Davenport and he says, “Let's make some turns together while you’re here,” which skis do you take out? Kästle, of course!

Chris was nice enough to set me up with a pair of 165 FX85s (non-HP) from Hamilton Sports, one of the Aspen ski shops he works with. The skis were tuned nicely and ready for the day ahead, which started out on cold corduroy and finished with spring corn bumps. I had forgotten just how much I like this ski in moguls, and spring bumps were something I hadn’t had the pleasure of skiing on this particular ski. Wow, they were fun! (almost like cheating, right @SBrown ;) )

img_3276-jpg.7237

Big thanks to Chris for setting me up and a shout-out to Greg at Hamilton Sports for delivering a nicely tuned ski, ready to rock the conditions of the day.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a good all-mountain ski who likes to play off piste and in the moguls.
  • Who is it not for? Someone on a budget.
  • Insider tip: If you’re a heavier skier or a little more aggressive, look at the HP version.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia , we're about exactly the same size. What did you think of the length, for you?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tony S I liked the length for me. I actually liked it a little better than the old FX84 in 168 that I owned a few years back.

FWIW, I can ski the 173 but I enjoyed the 165 better.

Sponsor

Staff online