• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a PM from a PugSkier asking for any follow-up I might have to my preliminary review above. Figured I'd put my few comments here. Mostly they just confirm what I sensed after one day, and align well with others' remarks.

So I probably have something like 10 or 15 days on this ski now. I have come to like it a lot - a steady friend in a wide variety of conditions. Specifically it's exceptionally obedient and reliable in technically challenging off-piste terrain; my margin for error is bigger. It's also stellar as a bump ski, as several have noted - probably the easiest mogul ski I've ever been on. On groomers that are not ROCK hard, it's a passable carving ski once you adapt to it. You have to be patient on the initiation and get off it before the tail rocker kicks in, but it will hold you if you tip and trust and ski the middle. That said, it's very much on the soft-snow side of the all-mountain spectrum. I skied it in spring conditions at Sugarloaf yesterday. (See photo.) On the all-natural-snow trails like Winter's Way and Bubblecuffer it was a dream. But honestly on that heinous but ubiquitous base of manmade boilerplate that we have so much of here in the east, they were slightly weak until it got really soft. (In all fairness, I had not gone all-out with the sharpening the night before either.) I've rarely if ever been on a ski that can grip that stuff and also be genuinely easy-going in bumps, so my gripe is a bit unfair ... it's a choice I made to lean toward the off-piste side of things.

On the topic of length ... I'm still torn just like I was after my first day on the ski. It does ski much shorter than the previous (2nd generation) FX, not to mention the MX. When I'm in big bumps on steep terrain, or skiing very slowly in tight trees, the 165 is perfect for me @ 5'7" 135lbs. When things open up a bit and it's - you know - piles of sugar with marble floor in between, or any kind of really soft / cruddy snow, I wish I were on the 173, as stability at speed is not a strong suit of the 165. Pretty sure that if I had the longer one I'd feel exactly the same way in reverse, so I'm sticking with the known quantity for now, unless someone wants to make me an irresistible offer. ogwink

Who's it for: In the east, it's the narrow side of a two-ski quiver for natural terrain fans who ski places like Jay, Mad River, and (sniff) Saddleback. In the west it's for bumps and skied-out trees.

Who's it not for: High-speed bruisers, hip draggers.

Insider tip: Put a 3-degree edge on it right off the bat; it makes a huge difference.

4870_crop.jpeg

Last edited:

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
After reading about these in another thread, I think I am going to pick up a pair for days around here when it hasn't snowed in a while, but I don't want to ski groomers (and sell my Head Titans that I bought for skiing groomers when we are in a dry spell but never use, because I always find myself heading off-piste to see what it is like and they don't really work well there). What people do people recommend for the non-HP version? I can't decide between the 165 and 173. I am 5'6", 165 lbs and ski aggressively when in wide-open spaces, but less so in bumps, trees, and narrow spaces. I ski an 177 Enforcer as my everyday ski, if that helps. I don't find it too long, except for when I am in tight bumps or trees.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I’m your height, five pounds heavier. I also ski a 177 Enforcer, but the Enforcer skis short (tip and tail rocker). I ski the FX84 in 168, but that’s a different ski. Longer is stability on fast groomers; shorter is quicker in bumps and trees (from what I understand, the 85 is nice and slithery in bumps), so if you’re thinking bumps and trees …

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
After reading about these in another thread, I think I am going to pick up a pair for days around here when it hasn't snowed in a while, but I don't want to ski groomers (and sell my Head Titans that I bought for skiing groomers when we are in a dry spell but never use, because I always find myself heading off-piste to see what it is like and they don't really work well there). What people do people recommend for the non-HP version? I can't decide between the 165 and 173. I am 5'6", 165 lbs and ski aggressively when in wide-open spaces, but less so in bumps, trees, and narrow spaces. I ski an 177 Enforcer as my everyday ski, if that helps. I don't find it too long, except for when I am in tight bumps or trees.

The FX 85 skis on the short side. I would go 173 if you can't demo. Mitigating factor might be if you are skiing really tight Eastern trees and bumps. As a reference point, I am on the 165 and occasionally wish I had the 173. Me: 5' 7" 135. Put a different way, if you are on the Titan 170, go for the 173.

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the responses. I think I am going to go with the 173 as the last few times I have been on skis in the mid 160s they have felt too short.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Yes, it's a downright steal. Sierra Trading Post is the place that often buys and resells overstock and/or past season stock lots of outdoor gear that the manufacturers have trouble moving. I am not complaining and my family members benefited from those STP sales in the past, but this is rather idiotic on the part of Kastle, that really damages the image of a premium brand. Some of those STP sales in the past caused some shops to drop the brand. Better spray-paint the skis black and sell on E-bay as factory seconds.

TS
S

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Bump.

Yes, I just bought the FX85s again. This is funny:

....After reading about these in another thread, I think I am going to pick up a pair for days around here when it hasn't snowed in a while, but I don't want to ski groomers (and sell my Head Titans that I bought for skiing groomers when we are in a dry spell but never use, because I always find myself heading off-piste to see what it is like and they don't really work well there). ...

I have the Titans and I plan on using them the same way, on-piste no-snow days, and the FX85s for off-piste no-snow days. My Stormrider 95s work well for that too, but I don't want to beat the hell out of them in low tide, and a little tiny bit smaller for certain places wouldn't hurt. Hmmm. It just occurred to me that I am purchasing a brand new pair of rock skis.