• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Reconsidering boot decision?

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
If you have grown accustomed to instant response and complete control of a stiff close-fitting boot; you won't want to give that up.

As a control freak who was forced into new boots due to cold feet caused by diabetes-related poor circulation, I can relate.
Previous boots were ultra stiff custom fit foamed boots with custom kork insoles from the dark ages. I delayed the transition with boot heaters. That solution did nothing to help with getting in and out of the boots. A hair dryer was needed to get out of the boots (before I had a hair dryer and access to electricity for it, I recall having to stick by boots under the car heater for 20 minutes - even as a young man).

New boots were Mach 1 MV 120s. Much easier on and off with stock liner, but stock liners way to squishy for my control freak tendencies. Put in custom foam liners. Boots are stiff and difficult to put on and off. I use the hair dryer on cold days (below 0F).

But here's the thing! I bought a heated boot bag. The bag makes putting the warm boots on EASY! Even with the stiffer liners.
Maybe Santa will bring me a heated boot bag... but for now the plan is cost effective microwaved bean bags. Two Mountains I usually ski are 20 minutes and 1 hour away so the warm (bean)bags will work. BTW I am not totally 'cheap' just trying to be wise about equipment decisions for a 73 year old. Plus adding in lift tickets and equipment for a grandson and the sport can get $$$$ in a hurry. BUT I did not buy any new (or used) golf equipment this year so I feel entitled to minor splurges....:snow:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Decision made.... Actually decision delayed! My wife says "You are not buying anymore ski stuff... until you have been on the slopes at least twice." Makes a lot of sense.

Alpinas were maybe a $100 cheaper which is why they caught my attention.
If he doesn't want to pay $100 for a better boot, I don't think a heated bootbag is in the cards.
But here's the thing! I bought a heated boot bag. The bag makes putting the warm boots on EASY! Even with the stiffer liners.
Sometimes the forgiveness over permission method works.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you have grown accustomed to instant response and complete control of a stiff close-fitting boot; you won't want to give that up.

As a control freak who was forced into new boots due to cold feet caused by diabetes-related poor circulation, I can relate.
Previous boots were ultra stiff custom fit foamed boots with custom kork insoles from the dark ages. I delayed the transition with boot heaters. That solution did nothing to help with getting in and out of the boots. A hair dryer was needed to get out of the boots (before I had a hair dryer and access to electricity for it, I recall having to stick by boots under the car heater for 20 minutes - even as a young man).

New boots were Mach 1 MV 120s. Much easier on and off with stock liner, but stock liners way to squishy for my control freak tendencies. Put in custom foam liners. Boots are stiff and difficult to put on and off. I use the hair dryer on cold days (below 0F).

I was about to say something about the heated boot bag making boot entry A LOT easier as in ALOTLOT but I figured out once the boots are being entered and then skied there would inevitably come the moment of having to get out of them. And there may be a problem at this point.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
I was about to say something about the heated boot bag making boot entry A LOT easier as in ALOTLOT but I figured out once the boots are being entered and then skied there would inevitably come the moment of having to get out of them. And there may be a problem at this point.
Hair dryer or …
Rechargeable Milwaukee heat gun

IMG_0004.jpeg

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
If he doesn't want to pay $100 for a better boot, I don't think a heated bootbag is in the cards.

Sometimes the forgiveness over permission method works.
I was mistaken about the $100 difference between Alpina and Nordica's. It is actually closer to $400. On a different site I saw a few 2nd year HF owners mentioning a cable breaking? I have owned BOA golf shoes so I suppose there is a lot of similarity in the design. Loved the fit of the BOA golf shoes BUT the ones I owned had spikeless soles that were too heavy. I never ride so the weight difference was immediately noticeable. In the Nordica design does the cable travel around the entire shell, forefoot included, or just the heel and cuff? The BOA shoes were a wonderful fit and adjustible after a few holes. Then by the end of the round you could back them off. On dry days I would even drive home with them on. Never thought to own them until my grandson had a pair of Burton BOA snowboard boots. Absolute heaven to have him adjust his own boots by turning a dial. He (and I) will miss that when he buckles into ski boots this year!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
You could always spend half an hour in a restaurant/bar after skiing before taking your boots off (What I used to do before I pretty much quit drinking).

Boot bag is a game changer. It plugs into the house overnight to get the boots nice and toasty, plugs into cigarette lighter, err I mean 12 V power outlet in the car on the way to the hill to keep it warm.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I got to try on Nordica HF120's this week. I'd tried on some HF 110's last season, and thought they were pretty vague on the fit. The 120's have a better feel to me. They have the power strap that the 110's lack, and can stabilize your leg from the ankle up. The 110' seemed to only suck your heel in, leaving the forefoot and shin a bit slushy. I tried on a 4 buckle SpeedMachine 110 right after the HF's, and lord, so much better fit and feel.

Oh sure, Heat gun to warm up boots. Maybe to defrost a freezer as well?

Subuebandad

Booting up
Skier
the embarrassment of getting in the boots prior to the ski day has taken the joy out of it for me. I am an advanced intermediate skier with STOCKLI MONTERO skis and brand new Nordica HF110 boots and I feel comfortable, confident and super psyched out there. It’s snowing out and I am pumped.

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
Thought I would update this thread I started months ago....
I leased Dalbello Veloce 75 boots. Sized at 28.5
Fixed the hard to put on problem with slide in boot warmers that plug into 12v in car.
Nice toasty and flexible boots by the time I get to Gore, an hour trip.
way better than the Dolomites from last year.
I also bought some much thinner boot socks.... no cold feet at all!
Now I am looking toward next year....
Question #1
As a low intermediate skier would a 100 flex boot be too much of a jump?
The 75 flex does feel fine but I always see it targeted toward beginners?
Question #2
A couple of boots I researched for next year have RATCHET top buckles...
Rossignol Flash and Salomon QST
Is a ratchet buckle really a step backward from micro buckles?
I do still struggle getting boots tight
The ratchets used on my grandson's snowboard bindings last year were great.
He could easily tighten or loosen...
Maybe I would like this for ski boots?
I had a successful return to skiing this year...
Now looking forward to next year at age 74!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thought I would update this thread I started months ago....
I leased Dalbello Veloce 75 boots. Sized at 28.5
Fixed the hard to put on problem with slide in boot warmers that plug into 12v in car.
Nice toasty and flexible boots by the time I get to Gore, an hour trip.
way better than the Dolomites from last year.
I also bought some much thinner boot socks.... no cold feet at all!
Now I am looking toward next year....
Good to hear

Question #1
As a low intermediate skier would a 100 flex boot be too much of a jump?
The 75 flex does feel fine but I always see it targeted toward beginners?
Question #2
A couple of boots I researched for next year have RATCHET top buckles...
Rossignol Flash and Salomon QST
Is a ratchet buckle really a step backward from micro buckles?
I do still struggle getting boots tight
The ratchets used on my grandson's snowboard bindings last year were great.
He could easily tighten or loosen...
Maybe I would like this for ski boots?
I had a successful return to skiing this year...
Now looking forward to next year at age 74!
Q #1:
Flex has as much, if not more, to do with your physiology than your skill set. Sure, as your skills improve, you *may* want a stiffer boot, but figuring out the right fex should be addressed by a bootfitter.

Q #2:
Stop doing research on your own. The only research you should be doing is finding a good bootfitter to help set you up for success.
Trust me, you'll be happy you took my advice. :)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
As for flex, it depends a lot on your weight, how fast you ski, and how much of a turn you are making. Skiers are notorious for misjudging their speed. Just as many think they are skiing slower than they are as think they are skiing faster than they are. An a good Garmin handheld GPS or an App on your phone will give you a general idea. If you weight under 100 lbs, don't really make much of a turn, and aren't skiing over 25 mph, then the 75 flex will be fine.

Sponsor

Staff online