• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Reconsidering boot decision?

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
First off be kind please...
I am 73+ year old skier returning to skiing after a long layoff. Why? Because I want my 10 year old grandson to ski. Last year he boarded. I have some Rossignol Pursuit 200's that are tuned and ready to go. Last hear I struggled mightily getting out of Dolomite boots. This year I am reusing my Dalbello boots. BUT I keep seeing ads for the Alpine Rear Entry boot and it definitely has my attention. Simply put when I am not with my grandson I often ski alone. And that means booting up and out in a crowded lodge.
Would I be taking a huge step backward getting a pair of the Rear entry boots? Yes, I understand they are meant for beginners. But truthfully my current level is closer to beginner. Should I pick ease of booting up vs the embarrassment of needing help to get in and out of boots?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I understand they are meant for beginners.
That's not entirely true. The Nordica HF has a pro version targeted beyond beginners.

That said, I'll echo @cantunamunch and say that there's nothing wrong with rear entries if they help you. Not everyone has to be constantly trying to move toward race plugs. :)

Other options for more comfort or easier on/off could be Dahu or Apex boots, where you are basically wearing a snowboard-style boot that you strap into a stiff frame. Again they aren't super high performing, but could be great for your usage.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Should I pick ease of booting up vs the embarrassment of needing help to get in and out of boots?
I'll just say the same things others are saying here.
The Nordica HF is not necessarily a beginner boot, but an "ease of entry" boot.
I've put a handful of boot customers in the HF for various reasons. Two of which proclaimed that I saved their skiing expreience because they were struggling with getting their boots on and off prior to the HF fit.

If it fits your foot and your lifestyle, do it !
The alternative is struggle.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First off be kind please...
I am 73+ year old skier returning to skiing after a long layoff. Why? Because I want my 10 year old grandson to ski. Last year he boarded. I have some Rossignol Pursuit 200's that are tuned and ready to go. Last hear I struggled mightily getting out of Dolomite boots. This year I am reusing my Dalbello boots. BUT I keep seeing ads for the Alpine Rear Entry boot and it definitely has my attention. Simply put when I am not with my grandson I often ski alone. And that means booting up and out in a crowded lodge.
Would I be taking a huge step backward getting a pair of the Rear entry boots? Yes, I understand they are meant for beginners. But truthfully my current level is closer to beginner. Should I pick ease of booting up vs the embarrassment of needing help to get in and out of boots?

Nordica HF are very nice I am told and they are not beginner boots.

P.S. Yay I am only the 123rd person to mention them… :roflmao:

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
If you can have fun in rear entry boots, by all means please use them. We have to get you skating this seasn, somehow :)

That said, are your current Dalbellos three-piece (tongue flaps open?)
My Dabellos are a 'custom' a friend helped me with. Shell on the boots are oversized and cover 29.5 to 31.5 (if I remember correctly) then we but a 29.5 liner in them with a full underfoot shim. In truth they may be as weak as a new rear entry boot? I have heard about the Nordica HF but they were a little more than I wanted to spend. Alpinas were maybe a $100 cheaper which is why they caught my attention. BTW I do own one the wide sheet style Alpine boot horn. New to me this season. Silly, but last year I started using the produce bags from the grocery store to help slip on boots.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My Dabellos are a 'custom' a friend helped me with. Shell on the boots are oversized and cover 29.5 to 31.5 (if I remember correctly) then we but a 29.5 liner in them with a full underfoot shim. In truth they may be as weak as a new rear entry boot?

Well, oversize doesn't really sound good in any context here.

Dalbello make a type of boot that is relatively easier to get into than 4-buckle overlap boots. The entire tongue hinges forward and one oozes into the thermoformed liner. NOT rear entry.

There was a slim chance that was the kind of boot you had. From your description, I now expect not.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Totally see myself in rear entry boots if I’m skiing at 73. I put my feet in them Nordica boots when they came out, and was very impressed with comfort and fit. Moreover impressed with how easy they were to get into.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
I tried to talk my sister out of buying the rear entry Nordicas. She bought them anyway and loves them. They certainly didn’t hinder her skiing.

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
Decision made.... Actually decision delayed! My wife says "You are not buying anymore ski stuff... until you have been on the slopes at least twice." Makes a lot of sense. Actually I had just stumbled on to a site with prices I did not trust. Kind of a wake up call that I was moving too quickly and about to get scammed. I did recheck the Nordica HF line. Great reviews but even more out of my price range than I remembered. So decision is delayed until mid to late December. Unless a great deal came along. Then I might stash them in the garage until after my "Two Days on the Slopes" probation was fulfilled.
My own personal exquisite pleasure is when the final chunks of ice drop off my mustache and beard on a snow making day. Thank you.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I always say that I enjoy taking my knee braces off more. So I get double the "exquisite pleasure". :D

Do take careful notice that you're the first person in a while to say 'my'.

Neither @Philpug nor @Henry actually specified whose whatsits they were removing :D

Decision made.... Actually decision delayed! My wife says "You are not buying anymore ski stuff... until you have been on the slopes at least twice." Makes a lot of sense.

Get the Chief Financial Officer on here so we can explain to her what we think about Internet boot deals ;)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If you have grown accustomed to instant response and complete control of a stiff close-fitting boot; you won't want to give that up.

As a control freak who was forced into new boots due to cold feet caused by diabetes-related poor circulation, I can relate.
Previous boots were ultra stiff custom fit foamed boots with custom kork insoles from the dark ages. I delayed the transition with boot heaters. That solution did nothing to help with getting in and out of the boots. A hair dryer was needed to get out of the boots (before I had a hair dryer and access to electricity for it, I recall having to stick by boots under the car heater for 20 minutes - even as a young man).

New boots were Mach 1 MV 120s. Much easier on and off with stock liner, but stock liners way to squishy for my control freak tendencies. Put in custom foam liners. Boots are stiff and difficult to put on and off. I use the hair dryer on cold days (below 0F).

But here's the thing! I bought a heated boot bag. The bag makes putting the warm boots on EASY! Even with the stiffer liners.

Sponsor

Staff online