• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Random MTB(and some general biking) Tips for newbs

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The front brake is the one that does most of the work.

Learn to "feather" the brake rather than grabbing a big handful. You can brake on almost any surface if you feather the brake properly. If you grab a handful, you'll eventually eat dirt.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not enough speed is as bad as too much speed. Don't be afraid to go a bit faster at times where you feel uncomfortable..the extra momentum may get you over the hump.

Brian Lopes: "In mountain biking, speed is always your friend -- Until it becomes your enemy". Learn to ride that happy middle speed!

The front brake is the one that does most of the work.

Agreed, and every reasonably adept rider -- me included -- likes to think they do this, yet my rear brake pads always wear a bit more quickly than my fronts. I like to think this is because even when not really braking hard, I use feather the rear brake a lot to "set" the bike in various instances.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If you find yourself in the air, whatever you do, do NOT grab your brakes. It will stop your wheel, which does bad things on landing. I saw someone do this. She required medical attention.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
2. Also get on and off a bike by swinging your leg over the rear of the bike. Generally you want to stand on your left foot and swing your right foot over, but learning the other side has merrit as well. There is no reason to ever try to step over the top tube(tube between the seat and headset) either getting off or getting on.

I can't resist:

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
The appropriate skier's instinct not to be in the backseat won't do you any favors once you descend a rock garden....

Learn to ride and balance without relying on the seat.

Buy some baby towelettes or Tucks or similar if you want clean chamois....

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Learn to ride and balance without relying on the seat.

There's a certain dynamic ability you need to be a good mtb'er and it's hard to convey to people..or teach.. I see some people trying to do a bunny hop and think, oh my this is a dead end... It's a step you have to get over..like dynamic moves in skiing. If you're locked up and can't make dynamic moves on the bike you just can't get to the next level. I have no idea how to teach that to people..I've tried..but ..

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
There's a certain dynamic ability you need to be a good mtb'er and it's hard to convey to people..or teach.. I see some people trying to do a bunny hop and think, oh my this is a dead end... It's a step you have to get over..like dynamic moves in skiing. If you're locked up and can't make dynamic moves on the bike you just can't get to the next level. I have no idea how to teach that to people..I've tried..but ..

One thing I was taught at a clinic is to not grip the seat post like I was. Let the knees be free. It helps a ton in being able to move around. Now ... I'm still fighting the urge to do the MTB equivalent of a virgin knee lock, but I can tell the difference when I let go of my death grip.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've also been working on "opening the knees" more, and am excited to finally have my dropper post. I, too, like to grip the seat with my thighs. Kinda hard to do when the seat is dropped.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Don't forget your sunscreen.

And if you are like me (thinning on top) don't forget to sunscreen your head. The holes in a helmet let in plenty of sunlight to create a patterned sunburn on your pate.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And if you are like me (thinning on top) don't forget to sunscreen your head. The holes in a helmet let in plenty of sunlight to create a patterned sunburn on your pate.

I have plenty of hair but I've managed to sunburn my part line through those holes.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
For long rides (or unfamiliar trail networks), bring a variety of snack flavors and textures. Not just sweet stuff. Definitely some salty. I've bonked hard and completely lost my appetite. I had packed only sweet snacks, and they nauseated me.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Yes, you want the exact opposite of 'Virgin knee lock' when riding a bike, you need to get the knees and thighs out of the way so you can steer the bike the way god intended, by leaning, nor 'steering' the handlebar. As you tip the bike you need to make room for the toptube and saddle, right where that inside thigh used to be... so think 'Slutty Cowgirl' instead of vkl, you will ride better and you'll be more popular!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Cowboy turns, they aren't just for skiing :roflmao:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I've been thinking about tips for the rear wheel the last few days.

You know exactly what's going on with the front wheel. It's right in front of you. This makes it easy to forget how crucial the rear wheel is. The front wheel will tell the bike where to go, but it's not attached to the pedals. The rear wheel is. Bicycles are rear wheel drive.

When you're starting from a stop, take a look behind you first and make sure that your rear wheel has good traction. I like to put my rear wheel on a nice, flat rock, something that looks like a big paver. There's nothing wrong with adjusting your bike's position so that both wheels are pointing in the direction you want to go, either. Most especially, make sure your rear wheel isn't bumping up against a ledge.

Same deal pedaling over an obstacle. The front wheel is half the battle. You have to have enough oomph to get the rear wheel over it, too (this is where I struggle).

There's one other thing that you need to know about the rear wheel. When you're making a slow turn, your rear wheel will follow a slightly narrower track than your front wheel does. Most of the time, this isn't critical - but it can be. For example, on a narrow North Shore style bridge. In those cases, if your front wheel tracks toward the inside of the turn, your rear wheel could track so far inside that it falls off the bridge. But if you steer the bike to go wide around this turn - which is not typically your first instinct - your rear wheel should have room to come around.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
always put the front wheel on the outside of the turn if possible. That was a good post monique.

The easy way to get traction going up with the rear wheel is to use clipless......

Sponsor

Staff online