• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Newbie looking to buy my first skis that can help me progress

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have friends that ski pretty often and have skied for many years that have zero interest in skiing properly or taking a lesson. For some, their quads get toasted pretty quickly by being backseat and throwing their shoulders around but they are there for the party so packing it in at 11:30 and ordering a beer makes for a great day for them.

A few of these people have tried my more narrow skis with more aggressive tunes (0.7/3) and it did not go well for them. They are happy to get back on 98-110 wide, rockered skis.

To each their own I guess.

Yes. In such cases the answer should be: buy whatever, you are not skiing anyway.

TS
E

eljay

Booting up
Skier
I visited a local shop, and the guy there seemed very knowledgeable and interested in helping me find what I need.
He recommended I look for 170cm intermediate ski and steered me towards Head Shape V5 in 170cm. He also sais Rossignol Experience 76 is a good choice, but that I may need longer one because of its longer tip.

TS
E

eljay

Booting up
Skier
I Like Henry's suggestion. And you are on the path. Try to avoid skis that are too stiff for sure. Is there anything interesting in n Head's V line these days?
I got a recommendation for Head Shape V5 in 170cm. Any feedback on that choice?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I visited a local shop, and the guy there seemed very knowledgeable and interested in helping me find what I need.
He recommended I look for 170cm intermediate ski and steered me towards Head Shape V5 in 170cm. He also sais Rossignol Experience 76 is a good choice, but that I may need longer one because of its longer tip.

Give my regards to this guy. He does know his stuff. Excellent choice of width. Shape V5 come with 11 bindings which might be a bit low for your size. From the same series you may also consider the V8.
Both shapely, not fat skis that come with Protectors-perfect.

Rossi Experience are also lovely.

TS
E

eljay

Booting up
Skier
Give my regards to this guy. He does know his stuff. Excellent choice of width. Shape V5 come with 11 bindings which might be a bit low for your size. From the same series you may also consider the V8.
Both shapely, not fat skis that come with Protectors-perfect.

Rossi Experience are also lovely.
:)
Good to hear the enthusiastic secondment on this one.
There is clearance sale of previous season's inventory local shop does at the ski hill in the Fall, so I may even wait that long and see if I can get a nice deal on one of these.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I got a recommendation for Head Shape V5 in 170cm. Any feedback on that choice?

Love it. Except that you are inbetween sizes, 170cm is a bit short, especially in this lighter construction for intermediate skiers. I think the 177 cm would be slightly long to begin, but you would catch up really quickly and it will support your weight a bit better.

But these supershape skis are amazing to start carving, because they have a lot of camber, a bit of rocker to keep you out of trouble (especially the tails are easier to release than in more advanced carving skis), and as soon as you tip the skis (that is, you incline both skis by the same angle away from the snow), they engage and pull you into a turn.

So, yes, I like the skis for what you need, and in this construction aimed at newer skiers, you don't need to undersize, so the 177 cm would be fine, too.

Best luck!

TS
E

eljay

Booting up
Skier
Love it. Except that you are inbetween sizes, 170cm is a bit short, especially in this lighter construction for intermediate skiers. I think the 177 cm would be slightly long to begin, but you would catch up really quickly and it will support your weight a bit better.

But these supershape skis are amazing to start carving, because they have a lot of camber, a bit of rocker to keep you out of trouble (especially the tails are easier to release than in more advanced carving skis), and as soon as you tip the skis (that is, you incline both skis by the same angle away from the snow), they engage and pull you into a turn.

So, yes, I like the skis for what you need, and in this construction aimed at newer skiers, you don't need to undersize, so the 177 cm would be fine, too.

Best luck!
Thank you.
Yes, that's the coin toss I'll be doing until I buy them: 170cm vs 177cm... hmm
I wish I had a couple more skiing days to try longer rocker skis to see how they feel.
From what I've read, the 170cm would be closer to that 160cm full camber Atomic pair I started on.

TS
E

eljay

Booting up
Skier
TS
E

eljay

Booting up
Skier
There's an old saying, "Poor man pays twice."
There's also a reason some things cost less than others.
What Atomic Supercross skis are you skiing now (SX9, SX11, ?)?
Yes, I agree. I'm looking for a deal for a quality pair to last me a while, so I can see how those Heads could be a better option.
I'm glad I started this thread, so as not to shop by the lowest price. If I ever get to the stage where I will know exactly what I want/need next, I'd upgrade. But I'd like to keep this pair for several years, if possible.

The Atomics are SX7. I could not find any info on them to see where they rank in the range from that model year except that they are from circa 2002.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Yes, that's the coin toss I'll be doing until I buy them: 170cm vs 177cm... hmm
I wish I had a couple more skiing days to try longer rocker skis to see how they feel.
From what I've read, the 170cm would be closer to that 160cm full camber Atomic pair I started on.

So, you know a lot of things for being so new to the sport. Yes, rockered skis "ski shorter", but this design in the V5's skis long. The contact points with the snow are really close to the tail and tip

1711300136150.png

Yes, I agree. I'm looking for a deal for a quality pair to last me a while, so I can see how those Heads could be a better option.
I'm glad I started this thread, so as not to shop by the lowest price. If I ever get to the stage where I will know exactly what I want/need next, I'd upgrade. But I'd like to keep this pair for several years, if possible.

The Atomics are SX7. I could not find any info on them to see where they rank in the range from that model year except that they are from circa 2002.

Dear Lord, stay away from skis older than 5 years old. Technology keeps improving, particularly bindings, which are a safety issue. But also performance.

If you choose these V5s, and want them to last a while, I would go for the 177 at your size. Because, to @François Pugh 's point, the ski itself is medium flex, but you are at the top percentile of size (particularly height), so you will tend to overpower it once you get, say, ~20 days under your belt (give or take). The 170 cm would be a little better to start.

(In a given design, and for the same skier) A shorter ski is easier to control, and a little easier to bend at lower speeds (bending that camber center point into the snow is what makes a skier turn efficiently). But for the same skier, when she is going faster, it will be less stable at speed, for a number of reasons. So, short == nimble and softer, and long == more stable and stiffer.

Also, there is a ton of skiing still out there, this season. Now that you became a family of skiers, you might find yourselves doing spring trips to fun locations (spring skiing is best, particularly for the little ones!! no cold, long days, blue bird days, what's not to love)
:yahoo:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The SX7 is aimed at beginner skiers. I think the V5 is too. If you want something that will last you for a few years, you should aim higher. If money is an object, I think you could find an older pair of SX 10s or similar that would do it. Lot's of people buy skis and don't use them and end up selling them in a few years.

TS
E

eljay

Booting up
Skier
So, you know a lot of things for being so new to the sport. Yes, rockered skis "ski shorter", but this design in the V5's skis long. The contact points with the snow are really close to the tail and tip

View attachment 230780

Dear Lord, stay away from skis older than 5 years old. Technology keeps improving, particularly bindings, which are a safety issue. But also performance.

If you choose these V5s, and want them to last a while, I would go for the 177 at your size. Because, to @François Pugh 's point, the ski itself is medium flex, but you are at the top percentile of size (particularly height), so you will tend to overpower it once you get, say, ~20 days under your belt (give or take). The 170 cm would be a little better to start.

(In a given design, and for the same skier) A shorter ski is easier to control, and a little easier to bend at lower speeds (bending that camber center point into the snow is what makes a skier turn efficiently). But for the same skier, when she is going faster, it will be less stable at speed, for a number of reasons. So, short == nimble and softer, and long == more stable and stiffer.

Also, there is a ton of skiing still out there, this season. Now that you became a family of skiers, you might find yourselves doing spring trips to fun locations (spring skiing is best, particularly for the little ones!! no cold, long days, blue bird days, what's not to love)
:yahoo:
Thanks for the compliments. I am a championship level couch skier!!

Do you have any link that details the profile of the V5s? The descriptions are confusing, as was pointed out earlier in the thread. Corbetts had them as advanced skis, Head has them as intermediate, and other reviews have them as beginner/intermediate.
Then regarding profile, Corbetts shows them as rocker skis, Head's marketing says that they have "Allride Rocker" (whatever that means), and the giy in the shop says the same as you that they are a camber ski while the Rossi is a rocker tip and I would upsize that one.

My wife discovered the benefits of shorter skis and is advocating fore to get short ones (she skis R10 151cm skis and is 16cm tall).

I also note that 170cm version has R13, while 177cm has R15 radius, so there must be some rocker in the tip compared to my fully cambered SX7 with R14@160cm.

And yes, I'd love to ski some more, but it would require a longer travel, so it may not happen before the end of this season.

TS
E

eljay

Booting up
Skier
The SX7 is aimed at beginner skiers. I think the V5 is too. If you want something that will last you for a few years, you should aim higher. If money is an object, I think you could find an older pair of SX 10s or similar that would do it. Lot's of people buy skis and don't use them and end up selling them in a few years.
Ah, that makes sense in their nomenclature.
Yes, I am checking if something suitable pops up in the used market that is not too old.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Thanks for the compliments. I am a championship level couch skier!!

You'll fit right in, we are all internet experts here! :roflmao:

Do you have any link that details the profile of the V5s? The descriptions are confusing, as was pointed out earlier in the thread. Corbetts had them as advanced skis, Head has them as intermediate, and other reviews have them as beginner/intermediate.
Then regarding profile, Corbetts shows them as rocker skis, Head's marketing says that they have "Allride Rocker" (whatever that means), and the giy in the shop says the same as you that they are a camber ski while the Rossi is a rocker tip and I would upsize that one.

So, head lists them in their peformance skis section, which is what they are:

Don't get too hang up on marketing blurbs. The picture above shows a ski with mostly camber, and this is exactly what they say in their own description of the ski.

Fun and playful, the new Shape e.V5 is an easy-turning, frontside ski. The construction includes woodcore composite with sidewalls, enhanced in the front with HEAD's EMC technology, which absorbs negative vibrations creating a smoother ride. ERA 3.0 makes turn initiation a cinch thanks to the rockered tip combined with full edge contact for groomed snow performance. The agile 74-mm waist and LYT Tech materials result in less fatigue for a full day on the slopes.

That fits exactly what you are looking for. This ski is similar to their Rally, but the Rally is for more advanced skiers with a more square tail and two sheets of metal.

My wife discovered the benefits of shorter skis and is advocating fore to get short ones (she skis R10 151cm skis and is 16cm tall).

Yes, but her ski is 10cm shorter than her, and the 170cm is 20 cm shorter than you, no?. It would be fine.

One more thing, there are a couple sticky posts higher up in this area you may want to check. I disagree with Francois that you can buy now an expert from now until you are advanced. Your needs will change in about 20 ski days, and clearly when you hit 50. So, it's better to find something that you can fun with, and learn. You can also rent.

In any case, none of this matter if you don't get well fitted boots (for your ski level), and again, they will be rather inexpensive but soft, and you WILL need much stiffer and more expensive boots later.

If in doubt, buy the boots and get a season rental next season, ski as much as you can, maybe start very short and start exchanging for longer skis as the season goes. THEN you buy something for the longer term.

Best luck!

TS
E

eljay

Booting up
Skier
Oh, I realize, I made a typo about my wife's height, she's about 166 and said she skied on 165cm skis and struggled and loves these ones. But she's also comparing skis from pre-parabolic shape era too.
But, you make a good point: her comfort ski length is 15cm below her height and 177 would be 12cm below mine, so maybe pushing it.

The rental skis for my first lesson were Head (not sure what model they use, Rebels?) 160cm, but I only stayed on bunny hill on them, so I don't have much comparison vs the Atomics up on the real hill.

Ideally, I would find a used set of V5s at 170cm for next season and get 177cm when/if I outgrow them.

I do have my own boots now and having our own gear and hill pass was amazing in terms of "parking lot-to-hill" time. Pushing through crowds to get rental gear takes energy out. The top of the bunny hill is right next to the parking lot, so now, I just jump onto skis at the top of the bunny hill and slide down, drop off backpack at gear area and head to the T-bar.

P.S. Great sticky post, BTW!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Ideally, I would find a used set of V5s at 170cm for next season and get 177cm when/if I outgrow them.

You will outgrow them, the question is when. And who knows what kind of skiing you'll like in two years? I'll try to remember and give a shout here if I come across any good deal in 170cm.

Sponsor