• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Newbie looking to buy my first skis that can help me progress

eljay

Booting up
Skier
Hello SkiTalkers, my first post here and I'm happy to be onboard.
First, a bit of background. Two months, I have not even spelled the word "ski" as part of my winter hibernation. Then, our 5yo daughter got a ski lesson as a gift and loved it. So, here I am middle-aged guy non-skiier trying to pick-up skiing to keep her skiing! Fun!
We took a family lesson, so now we are officially a skiing family and bought season passes for the next season at our local small hill. We are committed! :)

Back to me... this winter was my first time skiing (I'm not counting one high-school trip, from which I had T-bar nightmares!). I have only 4 half days of skiing under my belt (or do I say 'foot' to sound cool like I belong?!).
I rented for my first lesson and then happened upon a free set of skis and boots in my size, so I used those for the rest of my outings.
Both the skis and boots I got are very old (20 years), but in good shape, and I would happily keep them at least for the next season. However, the boots, while the length was fine, were too narrow and it felt like my foot was in a vice. I went to a shop, got measured, tried some on to know what to look for. So now, with end of season deals, I bought a new pair of K2 BFC 100 boots, which feel amazing and I can't wait to use them next year. In the process, I became well-versed in the all the boot fitting terminology. Wow! What a process.
However, the new boots with their GripWalk soles are not exactly a match for these very old bindings. So, now I find myself shopping for skis and hoping to take advantage of end of season deals.
The skis I have are old Atomic Supercross 160cm long, big camber, 104-64-96 profile and 14m radius. They suited my humble beginnings just fine and I think the narrow waist and short length makes for more effortless carving. I got out of pizza wedge pretty quickly, but still use it when I scare myself with picking up speed on steeper part of our small hill here.

Onto some stats to help you help me:
Height: 189cm (6'3")
Weight: 98kg (216lbs)
Skill: beginner (hoping to progress to intermediate), but, being middle-aged, self-preservation is objective #1
Environment: East Coast small hills with groomed easy runs (0% chance of off-piste skiing for me), man-made snow most of the season.
Expected season days skiing: 10-20
Style: easy slalom turns, not interested in speeding down the mountain nor dodging trees
Budget: Low - deal hunting, but something that will last me a few years. So, those $300 package deals out there are appealing.

Here's what I believe I need in skis and look for your suggestions:
Type: Carving
Waist: Narrow (<75mm?)
Length: 170cm?

My biggest question is around the length since every chart out there suggests for me to look for 175-190cm ski. I am just afraid to commit to a longer ski and be frustrated. Or will I "outgrow" a short ski quickly? Is the new tech with some rocker that much more forgiving to help me ease into a longer ski and keep it for years?

I got some nice suggestions elsewhere, so I am taking a hard look at Dynastar Speed 263 available for CAD$300, which from reading about them should be beginner friendly, but allow me to use them a few seasons of easy skiing. They rank on stiffer side, but I was told that I should not shy away from that given my weight. Also, because they have tip rocker, their effective length is shorter than actual length (aren't ya impressed I know the difference?!), so even the 178cm version may suit me and allow me to not "outgrow" them too fast. But I'm gravitating to the 171cm version in fear of being frustrated with long skis at this stage. My wife is an OK skier and loves her shorter skis, so she's also pushing me to stick with shorter ones.
Other options include (all prices in CAD$):
- 2023 Volkl Deacon ST in 175cm for $360
- 2023 Rossignol React 4 CA in 170cm for $315
- Volkl Deacon 73 in 173cm for $350
- 2024 Volkl Deacon X in 172cm for $300

OK, I'll pause here and add more info as required.

Thank you!

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
In almost every line of skis as they're made longer they're also made stiffer. With your size you'll need a fairly long/stiff ski, but not as much as you will when you've progressed to a strong intermediate then advanced skier. For the size now perhaps get one length less than the max in that line.

Look here: https://www.skitalk.com/forums/product-reviews.120/ski-selector
You can look for reviews of any skis you have in mind, or search for skis that might work well for you. I suggest picking the years 22, 23, 24. Leave the brands blank. Intermediate, Frontside, Men. For widths pick 65 to 80. If a Testers' Choice ski in on that page, read that one first.

Look for a ski review that reads something like this one: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2023-salomon-s-force-fx-76.27951/

freeskier1961

still aspiring
Skier
In my opinion, It is the proper boots forward lean accordinging to anatomy/dorsiflexion and flex that will help you evolve as a skier. Once you have that dialed in, consider different skis

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I Like Henry's suggestion. And you are on the path. Try to avoid skis that are too stiff for sure. Is there anything interesting in n Head's V line these days?

TS
E

eljay

Booting up
Skier
In almost every line of skis as they're made longer they're also made stiffer. With your size you'll need a fairly long/stiff ski, but not as much as you will when you've progressed to a strong intermediate then advanced skier. For the size now perhaps get one length less than the max in that line.

Look here: https://www.skitalk.com/forums/product-reviews.120/ski-selector
You can look for reviews of any skis you have in mind, or search for skis that might work well for you. I suggest picking the years 22, 23, 24. Leave the brands blank. Intermediate, Frontside, Men. For widths pick 65 to 80. If a Testers' Choice ski in on that page, read that one first.

Look for a ski review that reads something like this one: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2023-salomon-s-force-fx-76.27951/
Thank you, Henry!
Great tool and gives me more reading to do!

Regarding length, to add, my chin is at 165cm and nose 172cm (I guess I have a loong nose, haha!). I should stick with something no more than 172cm right now? I like carving turns more than speed records, so shorter ski should hopefully last me well into my upcoming senior amateur world cup career years, correct? ;)

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
All of them are too short and soft for your weight. But they will be fine next season.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At this point the most important is that you spend as many days on snow as possible. Brand of skis is secondary, buy the ones with the prettiest graphics.
As long as they are sub 80 and have lotsa metal in them you will be fine.

Chris_E

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
@eljay Fellow beginner here, having skied/ski'd(?) a grand amount of five times this winter, for the first time since I was a child. Seems like we're in a similar boat.

I'm posting a link to something I found to be very helpful on my way to deciding which skis to buy, along with the advice of friends and the good people on this forum. Maybe you want to take it into consideration before making a decision:

Now, if you're already set on getting narrow skis, it's probably not that useful. But if you're like me and just searching for information before deciding, it could be of some help.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Find a secondhand/consignment ski store. Your main constraint is finding gripwalk compatible bindings but you can now find reasonably late model skis with gripwalk demo bindings around the $200-300 mark usually from ex rental/demo stock.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@eljay Fellow beginner here, having skied/ski'd(?) a grand amount of five times this winter, for the first time since I was a child. Seems like we're in a similar boat.

I'm posting a link to something I found to be very helpful on my way to deciding which skis to buy, along with the advice of friends and the good people on this forum. Maybe you want to take it into consideration before making a decision:

Now, if you're already set on getting narrow skis, it's probably not that useful. But if you're like me and just searching for information before deciding, it could be of some help.

Get a ski that is ~85mm to ~105mm wide underfoot.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

wider skis won’t get knocked off track as easily.

Who TF is writing this nonsense?

Starting on 90+ ski is a sure way to never learning to ski properly. Or at least not any time soon.

Last edited:

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I have friends that ski pretty often and have skied for many years that have zero interest in skiing properly or taking a lesson. For some, their quads get toasted pretty quickly by being backseat and throwing their shoulders around but they are there for the party so packing it in at 11:30 and ordering a beer makes for a great day for them.

A few of these people have tried my more narrow skis with more aggressive tunes (0.7/3) and it did not go well for them. They are happy to get back on 98-110 wide, rockered skis.

To each their own I guess.

TS
E

eljay

Booting up
Skier
All of them are too short and soft for your weight. But they will be fine next season.
The Dynastars are rated as stiff flex, supposedly despite being a beginner ski.
I have no reference point besides that Atomic pair I started on. I know I don't have enough days to describe how they felt as a reference point. On the last day, one of the instructors took me up for a couple of runs and gave me pointers that made a huge difference for the rest of the day. And I started to have less of an issue of the front of the ski running away from me when turning on steeper parts.
I know this will not be my last pair of skis, but I would just like something that will not land me back in this forum with the same question in 12 months time.

TS
E

eljay

Booting up
Skier

Thank you. I read that article, but I think that's geared for a different ski environment than what I have available to me. Once we get to the point of making a March Break family ski trip to a proper mountain, I may revisit that.

TS
E

eljay

Booting up
Skier
Find a secondhand/consignment ski store. Your main constraint is finding gripwalk compatible bindings but you can now find reasonably late model skis with gripwalk demo bindings around the $200-300 mark usually from ex rental/demo stock.
Well, the above new skis are CAD$300-$350 + tax, so unless I can find recent used skis for $200, I'm not sure how much better I'd do in used market. Maybe I should wait for a mid-summer ski swap, but there are good deals out there.

You're quoting Cdn $. So are you in Canada? Can maybe help with some online or real stores!
Yes, I was looking at Corbetts site with some good prices and there are at least 2-3 others with similar sales, but maybe sold out of the sizes I need (I still don't know what length to get, BTW based on the above comments.)

TS
E

eljay

Booting up
Skier
Those skis are great. Maybe you can find a pair of grip walk compatible bindings to put on them.
EDIT: I see they are a bit on the short side, but you can still make them work for next season.
Thank you. I did look into that, but bindings with installation would cost quite a bit and apparently not too many places would touch a re-drill and installation into a ski from 2002.

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
All I can tell you about Deacons, is they differ wildly some are too much of a beginner ski for someone your weight, and some are good, but they all go by "Deacon" something or other. You need one for a more advanced skier than you actually are (due to your weight). And beware, the marketing BS that often will inflate the skis target market (i.e. claims for advanced or expert or high speed skiers when it is anything but). It's all relative. Read the reviews carefully and compare to what they say about the other skis you're looking at.

Sponsor