• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Need ski advice (Wingman 82 CTi / Deacon 80 / RC One 82 GT)

kirminas

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all.

I am 173 cm, ~82kg (5'8", ~180lbs) intermediate-advanced skier in my early 50-ies. I most often ski on a groomed terrain, which usually becomes chopped-up / slushy with moguls (especially steeper red slopes) in the afternoon. I have no difficulty skiing on blue and red slopes (European rating, American equivalent would be green and blue), can do groomed black slopes (probably black diamond in the US), but they are too difficult for me to enjoy them, so I am trying to avoid them. Usually I find myself carving quite fast doing medium and long turns. Venture off piste rarely and only when there's little gradient and not a lot of trees.

I have decided to replace my aging Salomon Enduro XT 800, which I really enjoyed for many years. These will be my only pair of skis. My budget for skis is ~600€.

So far I narrowed down my choice to Elan Wingman 82 CTi, Fischer RC One 82 GT and Volkl Deacon 80 (in alphabetical order), the length in the area of 170 cm. Unfortunately I can't do any demos and have to buy the skis online.

So, please, anyone who has experience with these skis, please share your impressions. Also feel free to comment my ski choice overall, maybe I am looking at the wrong tipe of skis or missing out a top quality ski in this category.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Deacon 80 is the strongest and most hard snow biased of the three with the Fischer being the most versitile, I would put the Elan in the middle.

You can check out our reviews by accessing them though our gear review tab at the top of the page.

TS
K

kirminas

Skier
Thank you, Phil.
Can you tell which one of these are easier on the legs, less tiring?

TS
K

kirminas

Skier
Ok, let it be Fischer then. RC one 82 GT is way cheaper than Deacon 80 (€450 vs €570), also read about Volkl quality issues (delamination, deformation after a few uses) in several forums…

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a pair of the Deacon 80's, fantastic carver but lacks versatility especially in mixed snow conditions. I replaced with the Rossi Exp 82TI. Carves almost as well as Deacon, but way more versatile. You might want to consider it.

Good luck!

Rick G

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I own and thoroughly enjoy the Wingman 82, though the Amphibio feature irritates me.

It's not as much of a "giddyup" ski as my Rossi 86tis, but easier on the legs, being a fair bit lighter. It is my favorite "wife day" ski!

So, as Rick mentioned above, you might consider the Rossi 82ti.

Kendall

Booting up
Skier
I'm late 50's 5'11" 205 and brought a pair of RC One 82 173 and love it, skis a lot like my aging motive 86, no learning curve, easy ski that skis everything on the hill WELL here in the mid-atlantic/east, green to double black

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another vote for Fischer RC One 82 GT 173. I had a set but gave them to my son when he got into skiing 2 seasons ago. Just got on them this week after a long absence and was able to experience their goodness again. :thumb:

TS
K

kirminas

Skier
I had a pair of the Deacon 80's, fantastic carver but lacks versatility especially in mixed snow conditions. I replaced with the Rossi Exp 82TI. Carves almost as well as Deacon, but way more versatile. You might want to consider it.

Good luck!

Rick G
I've just finished reading your extensive review of Rossi Experience 82 Ti. Very informative and helpful.
You are definitely better skier than I am and if you are happy with Rossis, I should like them too! My mind is almost made up.

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've just finished reading your extensive review of Rossi Experience 82 Ti. Very informative and helpful.
You are definitely better skier than I am and if you are happy with Rossis, I should like them too! My mind is almost made up.

Don't just take my word for it. Read the reviews here and elsewhere. Pretty much universally liked with one magazine calling it the "Ski of the Year" when it was introduced.

Good luck.

Rick G

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I know not directed at me, as I own the 86ti, but both the 82ti and 86ti are rippers with just enough tail forgiveness to be fairly kind off-piste. I don't think you can go wrong with the 82ti.

But the non-ti Experiences are very different, easier going, animals, so shop carefully!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have not skied the others, so can't compare. I bought my son a pair of Deacon 80s two years ago last fall at the ski swap. I've skied the them for a few days. While I do not recommend for hard-packed boiler plate (too wide imho), they are fine in soft groomed snow. The only caveat is with about a 19 m side-cut radius, it likes to go fast if you carving clean turns; it's not as much fun on crowded runs where you may be forced to keep the speed down in the interests of civility.

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
Just another anecdote. I'm similar stats as you as far as body and weight. I own the Wingman 82 CTI in 178cm.

I wish I got the next size down but even at 178cm I can't believe how light and nimble this "carving oriented" ski is. The swing weight is a real noticeable difference for me in variable terrain or when groomers start getting chopped up. This is me coming from more frontside oriented skis like Rossi Heros and Fischer RC4s.

Despite that, it's holds an edge well and is acceptable to real good at all speeds. I can't say the same for more traditional frontside skis with 2 full sheets of metal. I agree with the post above, it's basically a great ski when with a family. Still fun when slow, and great when fast.

TS
K

kirminas

Skier
Don't just take my word for it. Read the reviews here and elsewhere. Pretty much universally liked with one magazine calling it the "Ski of the Year" when it was introduced.

Good luck.

Rick G
Yes, I did some googling. The only thing I don’t like about the Rossis are their looks. BTW, do you ski 2024 model? Many reviewers say that Rossignol is making tweaks to this ski every year.

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes, I did some googling. The only thing I don’t like about the Rossis are their looks. BTW, do you ski 2024 model? Many reviewers say that Rossignol is making tweaks to this ski every year.

Yes, mine are the latest 2024 edition. I hadn't heard that they had been tweaked over the years. Just know that I like them a lot! As for graphics, it is a good thing they don't stand out in the crowd. Keeps eyes off them!

Rick G

Sponsor

Staff online