• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2016!

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Well, the CKs look nicer. If you are between the two might as well go with that.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Ck's are great hubs no doubt but where I am leaning towards the I9's (very popular in CO) is they are 80 grams lighter. I don't think there's any real quality performance gap between the two. Since I9 improved their build, the hubs are solid. The I9's are easy to service as well. Interestingly, there's no difference in price.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I am not done skiing but I am psyched to get the bikes out and ready!
ROAD: picked up a Dura-Ace Crank and Shifters at over 50% off this winter, getting those installed and a tuneup this week this will hopefully take about 300 grams off the bike (I hope).

I could drop that much weight by skipping the après beer at The BARley :beercheer:. Seriously, I guess since I am a cycling noob I don't understand the obsession with dropping weight on bikes when I weigh many times what my bike weighs. I'm sure if I dropped many pounds I would find the cycling easier.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
300 grams is HUUUUGGGEEEEE thats about 12 oz. You will actually feel that on climbs.

BTW- that's what I am cutting off my MTN bike which is mostly rotational weight.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
300 oz will not be felt on climbs unless its rotational weight.

@jwags if you have the means why not make your equipment as nice as possible? does not have to be your thing but to other that it is less weight whether it off the bike or the rider will always go fast given and equal power output.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Grams.. and yes it will be felt much more as rotational weight but next time you are walking or walking up a hill with a backpack, just take out a few items from the pack that weigh close to a pound. It all adds up quickly.

scott43

Skier
I could drop that much weight by skipping the après beer at The BARley :beercheer:. Seriously, I guess since I am a cycling noob I don't understand the obsession with dropping weight on bikes when I weigh many times what my bike weighs. I'm sure if I dropped many pounds I would find the cycling easier.

This is why I tell people to buy reliable stuff.. Doesn't have to be super light..but good quality reliable gear means more riding. Some people need to spend money though to stay interested in riding. And like Josh says, some people just want lighter gear to go faster. Depends what your priorities are I suppose.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
This is true^ but since a lot of the newer components are getting lighter and lighter to the point where you can choose reliable and light. If you want to go really light, you could go DT swiss 240 and save even more in Hub Speak BTW. In my case, i am actually looking more at POE (to an extent) and roll resistance as well as dependability and serviceability. In looking a t hubs, I want a light weight hub, that rolls well and has quick engagement for rocks, roots and steep climbs.

scott43

Skier
Grams.. and yes it will be felt much more as rotational weight but next time you are walking or walking up a hill with a backpack, just take out a few items from the pack that weigh close to a pound. It all adds up quickly.

Well you feel it..but it's the same amount of work whether it's rotating or not when you're going up the hill. So it's more psychological at that point.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Well you feel it..but it's the same amount of work whether it's rotating or not when you're going up the hill. So it's more psychological at that point.

for sure there's some of that. I am not specifically buying weight savings though. That's another obsession I dont need :roflmao:

scott43

Skier
This is true^ but since a lot of the newer components are getting lighter and lighter to the point where you can choose reliable and light. If you want to go really light, you could go DT swiss 240 and save even more in Hub Speak BTW. In my case, i am actually looking more at POE (to an extent) and roll resistance as well as dependability and serviceability. In looking a t hubs, I want a light weight hub, that rolls well and has quick engagement for rocks, roots and steep climbs.

It's really based on budget. Paris-Roubaix is mostly carbon wheels now (all?), but a good set of carbon wheels are $2k. My whole bike ain't $2k! :) You can get a wheel just as reliable and reasonably light for 1/10th of that.

Reactions: Ron
TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Man, I should let you guys build me a bike! One of my main beefs with my Trek Lush S is it's quite heavy (and the 29er, very cumbersome for me.) I asked about dropping to a two ring in front, but I guess it would take quite a few mods with minimal weight savings?? I'd go single, but my knees can't handle that kind of torque on long climbs. I have to granny gear it at times.

Speaking of which, about to head out for my first dirt ride of the year. The trails on the west side are dry. I much prefer the trails on the backside, but it's going to be awhile before those are dry! Mountain bike today, ski fresh snow on Thursday? Yes, please!

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Respect the trails! Please be careful to ride only when you wont be damaging the trails. :thumb:

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Man, I should let you guys build me a bike! One of my main beefs with my Trek Lush S is it's quite heavy (and the 29er, very cumbersome for me.) I asked about dropping to a two ring in front, but I guess it would take quite a few mods with minimal weight savings?? I'd go single, but my knees can't handle that kind of torque on long climbs. I have to granny gear it at times.

Speaking of which, about to head out for my first dirt ride of the year. The trails on the west side are dry. I much prefer the trails on the backside, but it's going to be awhile before those are dry! Mountain bike today, ski fresh snow on Thursday? Yes, please!

Give us your credit card, we'd be happy to build you a bike!

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
It's really based on budget. Paris-Roubaix is mostly carbon wheels now (all?), but a good set of carbon wheels are $2k. My whole bike ain't $2k! :) You can get a wheel just as reliable and reasonably light for 1/10th of that.

This it true. No doubt, 100%. I switched to carbon road wheels last year and was hooked. I love the feel. @GregMerz has 2 sets of Nox's now and just loves the feel as well. This set isn't cheap but for $1,700.00 I will have a set of wheels I can take with me for many years. I plan to keep this Bike for another 2-3 seasons.

scott43

Skier

Well the nature of FS is that they're heavy unless you can spend some dough on them. Wheels and tires can make a big difference. But..you're looking at significant money. At the end of the day, sometimes better fitness is just required! :D

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Well the nature of FS is that they're heavy unless you can spend some dough on them. Wheels and tires can make a big difference. But..you're looking at significant money. At the end of the day, sometimes better fitness AND SKILLS are is just required! :D

Needed to add that! Skills, just like in skiing play a huge role in Mtn Biking for sure. :beercheer:

Sponsor