• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2016!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
@skibob sure you move your COM behind your rear wheel sometimes for "serious" Dhs. but there are many time when you wanted a lower COM right where the saddle is heck even sometimes in front of the saddle.

Assuming that the rider actually make use of the extra range of motion a lowered seat post allows them.Given the same rider on the same trail, the rider can use more ROM will always be faster, more efficient, and safer.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Assuming that the rider actually make use of the extra range of motion a lowered seat post allows them.Given the same rider on the same trail, the rider can use more ROM will always be faster, more efficient, and safer.

I assume you mean downhill.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I assume you mean downhill.

not always. there are times climbing or when on flat trails when being able to dropping your seat lets you maintain better pressure management and there for more traction and more control, which leads to being able to go faster and or be safer. I have set some KOMs on some pancake flat trails by being able to drop my seat for every corner and raise it back up again when seated pedaling is faster.

scott43

Skier
not always. there are times climbing or when on flat trails when being able to dropping your seat lets you maintain better pressure management and there for more traction and more control, which leads to being able to go faster and or be safer. I have set some KOMs on some pancake flat trails by being able to drop my seat for every corner and raise it back up again when seated pedaling is faster.

I think that's somewhat anecdotal evidence. But I do agree, on an MTB in sketchy conditions mass positioning can increase traction even, maybe especially, uphill. However, I'm not sure there is that much physiological backing for this as we don't see many Tour riders doing this, and if there were a big gain they'd be doing it.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I am talking about riding uphill on trail, not uphill in the Tour on roads. Roads are 2d surfaces.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well if there is powder I break out my skis!
Joking aside, has anybody ridden a fatbike on snow covered cross country trails? I've been meaning to do it for two years now. Problem is, every time I show up at the mountain, I decide i'd rather ski that day :huh:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I've been out a couple times. Still cold and very wet on the trails, even though the snow, such as it was, is long gone. The other evening I was riding just as all the water was refreezing on every root and rock. That was fun. Not. Logically it's a good time to be on the road, but, again, too cold for me so far, even though plenty of nut cases are out there in the steely wind doing it. Short term forecast is grim. Maybe a ski day at the River next weekend (too many chores today ... plus it's probably bulletproof), and a trip to A-Basin. After that it might be starting to look like spring here. MTB pics when the camera battery thaws out. Signed, Eeyore.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
There are a bunch of people here who ride the singletrack at one of the local parks, in the winter, in the dark. Everyone has blindingly bright lights, I have two on my handlebars and one on my helmet. it doesn't take a lot of snow before nobody even thinks of going because the majority of trails vanish after even just a couple inches of snow. I was going to try it this year with my fat bike but when we had snow it was unbearably cold and windy. I did ride my fat bike near my house in the snow. It was kinda fun but you get cold, or at least I did, pretty quickly.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
There are a bunch of people here who ride the singletrack at one of the local parks, in the winter, in the dark. Everyone has blindingly bright lights, I have two on my handlebars and one on my helmet. it doesn't take a lot of snow before nobody even thinks of going because the majority of trails vanish after even just a couple inches of snow. I was going to try it this year with my fat bike but when we had snow it was unbearably cold and windy. I did ride my fat bike near my house in the snow. It was kinda fun but you get cold, or at least I did, pretty quickly.
Northstar and Sugar Bowl are both offering fat bike rentals for use on the cc trails. I have wondered what kind of pants to wear though for just this reason. Cycling tights don't seem warm enough, and I can't imagine ski/snowboard pants working out.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I have some really thick cycling tights that seem warm enough to about 20 degree F. I think most important are the winter riding boots.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Something windproof really matters, but I would only use Gore Windstopper if there was something relatively heavy underneath, like Capilene 3. I wear heavy Asolo Gore-tex backpacking boots for the night rides and I'm usually good for about 30-40 minutes. A balaclava is also very helpful. I wear my Showers Pass cycling jacket and a down sweater underneath. My hands are finally good now since I have Therm-ic heated gloves for skiing.

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
It's possible to mountain bike here in Reno during most of the winter. The local trails don't get (relatively) much snow, and as long as you get out while they're frozen they're rideable. But it isn't much fun layering up that much and still being cold. I'd rather layer up a bit more and go skiing instead.

Also, REI dividends are here! I used mine for a pair Novara baggy shorts with liner. I figure they should be a bit more durable than Lycra on the rocky trails around here, as I've only done Lycra kit in the past.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I am not done skiing but I am psyched to get the bikes out and ready!
ROAD: picked up a Dura-Ace Crank and Shifters at over 50% off this winter, getting those installed and a tuneup this week this will hopefully take about 300 grams off the bike (I hope).

MTN: I am about to order Nox Composites with I9's or Chris King hubs. Feel free to jump in on the Great Hub debate.... Oh, and still can't make up my mind on color. Hmm, Gold, Silver or Turquoise (same blue as Fox knobs) I think I l the silver but a little bling might be a nice thing if it looks good.

12976808_1352960468054833_6517527943189941136_o.jpg

12985591_1352960441388169_952665221678900340_n.jpg

12928293_1352960438054836_8930227060493033827_n.jpg

12963726_1352962001388013_78315660487438111_n.jpg

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
You probably do not ride in wet weather that much so your CK hubs should be fine. Id go Gold.

Me I can not afford the hub or the time it takes to maintain those. Hopes for life.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I ran Kings for a few years. Easy to work on and beautifully designed and executed. However, the freehub drag never went away, even after thousands of miles, and it never stopped bugging me. I've been on a Hadley rear for the last six years and they have been good. Replaced the bearings once - definitely not on a par with the King bearings. Also not as easy to work on, and online support from Hadley is non-existent. Nevertheless they perform really well - better than CK IMHO. Have not ridden the I9 but personally I don't like the noise.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
P.S. My Hope front has been flawless and was cheap. Then again front hubs are easy.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I'd buy a pair of Hopes for the cost of one of those other hubs. Personally when building wheels I just chose XTR most of the time. They were still cheaper than I9, CK, Hadley type stuff. My local shop makes a mint selling I9s and also replacing their blow-up guts on a regular basis.

I mostly buy pre-bult wheels now. Pretty hard to go wrong with Mavic IMHO (though I have Fulcrums, Shimanos, and some hand builds too). If i were considering spending some $$$ on wheels, I'd have to look at the Shimano XTR wheels w the carbon/alu hybrid rims. So cool.

Sponsor

Staff online