• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men’s Alpine World Cup 2023/24

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Wondering when they’re going to make a fatter gs and slalom ski for these super soft snow days. I remember being at Killington 2 yrs ago for the slalom. It was ridiculously soft. It took forever for someone to beat one of the early starters 2nd run.
They're going to have to change the rules for it to happen in GS. Max 65mm waist width. I guess it could happen in SL, but ... it's really not going to be faster.

1710639200676.png

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
IMG_4048.jpeg

Linus
Manny
Clement

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Shit snow. I know plenty of other racers handled it just fine, but they are going to have to get a firm grip on the reality of climate change and be a bit more "nimble on their feet" so that they can adjust the schedule and the venues.

Not debating climate change, but it’s finals. More or less always spring conditions in finals.

Cat1210

Getting on the lift
Skier
The weather in Saalbach is supposed to be warm and rainy this week. Next weekend’s speed races very questionable.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Final SkiTalk FIS Podium Picker standings...
Thanks @dbostedo for organizing this again this year. I’m not confident at all of remaining in the lead if the DH and SG actually happen this coming weekend as @Cat1210 has been on an upward trajectory in the recent races and I have not. But whatever happens it was fun.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Because of the over 50 temperatures I thought the second run of this race would be one of those days where the first run leaders struggle and fade away in the second run and the winner would be whoever survived the war of attrition, but instead it was incredibly exciting with all the final racers putting in really strong performances. For me the most exciting mens SL of the season

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @dbostedo for organizing this again this year. I’m not confident at all of remaining in the lead if the DH and SG actually happen this coming weekend as @Cat1210 has been on an upward trajectory in the recent races and I have not. But whatever happens it was fun.
Ah... good point. I was kind of thinking we were done! I guess I jumped the gun.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Ah... good point. I was kind of thinking we were done! I guess I jumped the gun.
I know I missed a couple races completely. A few of those ”What will the winners time be?” questions, I thought I made a guess & then found out after that I didn’t. Still I did better in the Podium picker than the Predictor challenge. Way too much research needed to do well there. I think next season I will just do the Podium Picker.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would b
I know I missed a couple races completely. A few of those ”What will the winners time be?” questions, I thought I made a guess & then found out after that I didn’t. Still I did better in the Podium picker than the Predictor challenge. Way too much research needed to do well there. I think next season I will just do the Podium Picker.
I would be really happy if they did away with the winner's time. It is just a total guess most of the time and more luck than anything else. Use a different tie breaker like most correctly chosen winners or something.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I would b

I would be really happy if they did away with the winner's time. It is just a total guess most of the time and more luck than anything else. Use a different tie breaker like most correctly chosen winners or something.
Totally agree with this. The podium picker was exactly what I thought it should be, except for the time guessing.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Instead of the weird winner’s time question, I would like to see a bonus system more closely aligned with the idea of picking the podium finishers, like if you pick 1 2 3 in the correct order you get 300 bonus points, if you pick 1 2 you get 250, 200 points for picking the winner and 50 points for each pick who actually finishes on the podium, or whatever the actual number of points, plus maybe a bonus when it’s the first podium of the career for one of your picks or it’s someone outside the top seed. This would probably not help me, but it would be better imo.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^
This article cannot be found in English, but they apparently had a wild party, drinking from the globe with straws, and even temporarily lost track of its whereabouts. From google translate

The party continued until three in the morning
It lasted until around three in the morning, which in Feller's opinion was "not that long," as he explains with a smile.

The freshly won slalom globe was quickly converted into a drinking cup and one or two spirits were consumed from it using long straws.

“I had to clean it, even though we didn’t know where it was at first,” Feller says, looking back on the wild party night where he hoped “perhaps not so many people would attend” because of his new short hairstyle "To be recognized by people."

“Do you actually know that your globe is in bed with us?”
In fact, he almost lost his globe, but it was ultimately thanks to his physiotherapists that it didn't happen that way.

“Luckily they were paying attention,” says Feller, thanking them. One of his physios, in whose room the party took place, called him in the morning and said: "Do you actually know that your globe is in our bed?" he says with a laugh.

Actually, Feller's media representative should have taken the globe with him, but that didn't work. “Luckily they (the physios, note) informed me in time,” said the slalom ace.

source https://www.laola1.at/de/red/winter...ete---haben-nicht-gewusst--wo-die-kugel-ist-/

RiesenSL

Getting on the lift
Skier
Too warm?
Yeah, Wednesday's training started at 9am. Forecast has improved a bit (less rain) but it's not cooling off overnight, until Saturday night, so Sunday's DH looks good. There's even a chance they could postpone a Fri/Sat race to Monday.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@James officially to preserve course for 4 races in next few days on same course. And as you need (at least) one DH training to run course, all is good. Otherwise yes also too warm. Weather report for next few days is +3c as lowest during night and up to +16c during day... with no clear sky (even rain tomorrow), it means no freezing so snow will be complete shit, and salting DH course is pretty demanding thing.

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier
Gotta get higher elevation venues and/or shorten the season long term.

No refreeze sounds dangerous and slow.

Sponsor

Staff online