• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lots of questions: experienced and inexperienced skier at the same time.

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
Sorry if I put this in the wrong place, I'm new!

Let's start with the background. I've been skiing 30 to 40 hours a season for the past 8 years concentrated into one week per year. About 20 of those hours in small group lessons with a good ski instructor. The remaining hours were spent messing around. Last year I didn't ski due to COVID. Anyway, with this very little experience, I am a pretty good skiier (I think, that's what my coach says). My coach says I have fairly good technique for someone with such little experience. I may be wrong, but I think this fast improvement came from me being a professional figure skater. I am very strong (especially in my legs, core, and ankles) and am coachable and have learned from years of skating how to apply corrections within the first couple attempts. The unfortunate side to this is that I am clueless about how to buy skis, how to find a good instructor, all that other stuff. The stuff I should know by now I feel. So here's my 1000000 questions.

Compared to how my skates fit, my ski boots are very, very loose. I'm aware they shouldn't fit exactly the same, but my heel moves a great deal and I can pronate and supinate my foot without the boot moving with my foot at all. When I'm in my skates, my boot responds and tips to grip the edge of the blade but my ski boots don't only move a teenly little bit until I try to move my whole leg (so originating the movement from the hip instead of the feet). Is this normal? If not, where could I find a good boot fitter in eastern Massachusetts? I have no idea what I'm doing. These boots I bought used.

Next topic, my skis are the correct length. They're Roxy all mountain twin tips. Another thing I bought used. Are those good?

How often should I be skiing if I just do it for fun but don't want to lose skills. Especially in the park (I'm sure I won't lose my crap 180, but if I ever learn new things, I don't want to lose them). Is a couple times a month fine for someone like me who is experienced in learning new skills? And anyone know good coaches that could address my base technique and park technique in Massachusetts (preferably Nashoba, though I know that's a pretty small mountain and am willing to go further if need be).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Compared to how my skates fit, my ski boots are very, very loose. I'm aware they shouldn't fit exactly the same, but my heel moves a great deal and I can pronate and supinate my foot without the boot moving with my foot at all. When I'm in my skates, my boot responds and tips to grip the edge of the blade but my ski boots don't only move a teenly little bit until I try to move my whole leg (so originating the movement from the hip instead of the feet). Is this normal?

Absolutely not. Those are completely wrong boots for you.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Actually, if you know how skates are supposed to fit, you are waaay ahead of most with your skiing experience. Stick with that when you talk to the fitter.

Next topic, my skis are the correct length. They're Roxy all mountain twin tips. Another thing I bought used. Are those good?

They're probably fine for getting on with, unless they've got way too many days on them. Spend money on boots right now.

When you get another 100-150 hours in your new boots, go look at what else you might want in a ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Compared to how my skates fit, my ski boots are very, very loose. I'm aware they shouldn't fit exactly the same, but my heel moves a great deal and I can pronate and supinate my foot without the boot moving with my foot at all. When I'm in my skates, my boot responds and tips to grip the edge of the blade but my ski boots don't only move a teenly little bit until I try to move my whole leg (so originating the movement from the hip instead of the feet). Is this normal? If not, where could I find a good boot fitter in eastern Massachusetts? I have no idea what I'm doing. These boots I bought used.
You are immediately realizing how important boots are and already you are setting yourself up for success. A "performance fit" in a ski boot will be close or on par with a good skate fit. By performance, I don't mean racing but maximizing the efficiency of putting your energy to the ski. IT sounds like you are very well aware of your body, another plus for you. Get yourself to a good bootfitter at a ski shop, not a sporting goods store that sells skis. I am sure someone can recommend a shop, Suburban or Strands maybe?

Marry your boots and date your skis. Don't shortcut here, boots are an investment, skis are depreciating assets. (LOL, I just came up with that and I like it and will use it again) The hive here can help you with some ski selections, check out our Ski Selector and see if anything there gets your attention.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@cantunamunch Thank you for the advice!

How much would be way too many days on skis?

Depends on the life they've led; park skis and SL skis under big skiers might get retired after 40 days whereas western pow skis under light skiers might go to hundreds of days. Usually one retires them when they fail expectations - like being sharp but still not holding an edge.

TS
N

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
A "performance fit" in a ski boot will be close or on par with a good skate fit.
Good to know, thank you.

Marry your boots and date your skis. Don't shortcut here, boots are an investment, skis are depreciating assets. (LOL, I just came up with that and I like it and will use it again) The hive here can help you with some ski selections, check out our Ski Selector and see if anything there gets your attention.
I take it boots are more important because it's your way of controlling the ski, is that right?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You asked about how many days do skis last. I would say some of that depends on construction of the ski. I think a ski with metal construction will last longer than a ski without metal in the ski. If the ski is the correct length for the weight of the skier that does help it last. I like to think about 100 days on snow is a starting point and there some variables that will add or subtract to that number.

TS
N

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
You asked about how many days do skis last. I would say some of that depends on construction of the ski. I think a ski with metal construction will last longer than a ski without metal in the ski. If the ski is the correct length for the weight of the skier that does help it last. I like to think about 100 days on snow is a starting point and there some variables that will add or subtract to that number.
I should be fine then. No metal in these, however I am pretty light.

Correct length for weight? Never heard about that. Only ever heard of length for height. Could you explain, please?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I take it boots are more important because it's your way of controlling the ski, is that right?
You are already ahead of 98% of the skiers in your postion, almost 99%, because you figured it out on your own and weren't told, we just validated what you figured out. :hail::hail:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Correct length for weight? Never heard about that. Only ever heard of length for height. Could you explain, please?
Boy you are tossing up softballs ... it's as if ... well ... A ski can feel how heavy you are not how tall you are.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
TS
N

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
You are already ahead of 98% of the skiers in your postion, almost 99%, because you figured it out on your own and weren't told, we just validated what you figured out. :hail::hail:
When I'm coaching I have to explain the same principle about skate boots to parents of 7 year olds who want to save money because "their feet are going to grow and we'll be out 200 dollars" about weekly. They just can't be big if you want to control what's beneath you. We change the direction we are going by tilting the foot. If the foot doesn't tilt the boot, well... you go the wrong direction and usually that direction is down. Figured it would be the same or at least similar.

Boy you are tossing up softballs ... it's as if ... well ... A ski can feel how heavy you are not how tall you are.
Haha so many questions, sorry lol. I always love to learn more. That makes sense. Shorter for lighter, right?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I'm coaching I have to explain the same principle about skate boots to parents of 7 year olds who want to save money because "their feet are going to grow and we'll be out 200 dollars" about weekly. They just can't be big if you want to control what's beneath you. We change the direction we are going by tilting the foot. If the foot doesn't tilt the boot, well... you go the wrong direction and usually that direction is down. Figured it would be the same or at least similar.

Haha so many questions, sorry lol. I always love to learn more. That makes sense. Shorter for lighter, right?
OMG, another softball ... we have said similar and repeatedly and you can use this too. "Kids need to grow out of gear, not into it".

For you and your progress, a narrowish 70-80mm carving ski will be a great growth ski at this point. A ski like this will help you with edge control and transition from one edge to the other. You could not have a better background than being a skate coach.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
You are getting some good advice here in that focusing on finding the right boot & correct fit are #1. I will add that part of that equation will be finding/building a proper custom foot bed. That in itself will help solve some of the foot articulation issues.
The fact that you were a professional figure skater almost means that you already know how to ski but now you are just adding a slope to it or tilting the rink. The fact that you are an eastern skier and skater makes me think that you may appreciate a narrower slalom type ski as a tool to develop your skills on snow.
The perfect instructor for you would be one who also understands skating and can teach you to transfer the skills from one to the other.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Boot fitters in eastern Massachusetts:
  1. https://skimd.com/about
  2. Southern Vermont: https://nicksbootfitting.com/
  3. http://strandsskishop.com/

I've personally used Nick; I think he's great. @TheArchitect recently used SkiMD; he had a post recently about his experience there. I know others who have gotten good service at Strand's.
Keep in mind that it is the rare person gets a perfect fit with one visit to the boot fitter. You should get close or even very very close. But many people find that they have to go back to the fitter for a tweak or two. With that in mind, pick a boot fitter that will be convenient for you to make return trips.

As others have stated, you are way ahead of the curve in that you know how fit affects performance. It may be obvious, but make sure that the fitter that you choose understands what your goals and needs are.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I taught to never ever skiers in Tahoe yrs ago. Twin sisters that were professional ice skaters. With their background, intermediates first run. :thumb:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I should be fine then. No metal in these, however I am pretty light.

Correct length for weight? Never heard about that. Only ever heard of length for height. Could you explain, please?I
I think there are two sides to this, I and many others feel that a ski can't tell how tall you are but it can tell how much you weigh just by standing on it. I have thought for a long time and more and more people are starting to think the same way, especially since the wide skis have come along.

Sponsor

Staff online