• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mikelrv - are you skiing the 177's and did you move the mount yet ?
I'm on the 165's. I'm 5'8, 150lbs. I was concerned that the 165's were going to be too short, and at first I thought they were, but after today, I'm second guessing that. Not sure if was the boot adjustments made today, conditions,s are me getting used to the Z90's, but they felt great today. Was making big GS turns on hardback at speeds over 50mph, and I was pleasantly surprised how good they responded. It almost can't beehive they are only 165's, and 90mm under foot. (my last skis were 72mm, and these feel very quick edge to edge)

However I still wish there was 170 version to try,

My binding are mounted on the marked mount point (not the pugski recommendation of 2cm back). I have Look Pivot 12's mounted, so they can't be adjusted, and would have to re-mount to try new recommended mount point.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had the Z90's at Sugarbush in 16"+ of pow, in the bumps on Castle Rock, and Paradise, in the tress (Egans woods, and others) and carving high speed on wind blown hardback all on the same day.

They did it all without any complaints. Not sure what else one can ask for for an east coast all mountain ski.

Mike H

Booting up
Skier
I demoed the Renoun Z-90 in a 165 length while visiting with Phil & Tricia at Northstar yesterday. Obviously, these were mounted the way Phil prefers and tuned to his specs. I'll let him weigh in on any questions about those technical details. I liked them enough that I decided to join the Forum and post this review.

Conditions: about 6" of fresh, light powder overnight that was covering powder that had fallen in the previous days. Conditions varied slightly around the mountain and throughout the day.

Me: 5'7"; 155-160 lbs; more of a smooth, technical skier than a charger, 45+ years skiing, currently 30+ days per year, mostly out west, although I live in New England.

Let me say at the outset, I have never skied any skis like these. In an all-day test, they were simply a pleasure to ski and handled every condition on the mountain. I completely agree with Phil's assessment that these are "game-changing skis." It's a shame that the price is going to restrict the market. Until you have actually skied them, it's hard to understand why we are raving about them.

On to the "test report"

Started out on powder covered groomers. Could not believe how well they performed in a variety of turns. Short-, medium-, and long-radius turns were all easy to initiate. The ski tracked well in loose powder and handled transitions between untracked and tracked powder beautifully.

Moved over to the glades. I was skiing mostly short-radius fall-line turns and again the ski tracked beautifully in the powder. They were extremely quick edge-to-edge and turns were easy to initiate. Modulating the turn radius to maneuver between trees was effortless. These skis inspire confidence. By the third run I felt very comfortable (maybe too comfortable) and was skiing as fast or faster than I usually would in trees. No complaints at all, even when I found some sun-crust below the fresh powder.

Back to the groomers, which were getting skied off. Spent some time skiing in the partially tracked edges of the trail and then out onto the trail. Again, the transitions from tracked to untracked and back were smooth. Most other skis I use throw me around a bit under these conditions. Ramped up the speed and experimented with a variety of turn radii at higher speeds. The ski transitions well from short- to long-radius turns and can handle every speed I tried (I doubt I got above 40). They felt very stable at all speeds. Transitions from long- to short-radius turns at speed did not require me to scrub speed. It's just a smooth carve. Incredible!

On steeper slopes the ski carved and held on both short-radius and long-radius fall line turns. They are rock-solid stable at speed and very quick edge-to-edge. They simply do not feel 90 wide. My racing days are a distant memory, but the Renoun Z-90s performed as well as any slalom race ski I have experienced. (I moved from Volkl SL race skis as my everyday ski to shaped skis around 2000).

Parts of the hill had some wind-blown powder, sun crust and fresh over the top of those conditions. No ski truly handles those conditions well. The Renoun Z-90 did as well as I could expect. No adverse reaction from the ski. You just know you are not skiing in loose powder anymore.

Short-radius turns in small moguls were smooth but I didn't make it onto a serious mogul run to test them.

The 165 length did not seem short to me at all. I didn't get out on the 174's to compare the two, but I was happy on the 165 length.

Like many of Phil's other testers, it looks like a pair of these is in my future. I'm hoping to get a pair out on the slopes when I'm back east and see how they perform in typical eastern conditions. I'd also like to see if I notice any significant difference between the 165 and 174 length. Overall, these skis are truly impressive. They were able to handle everything the mountain and I threw at them without any complaints. I've never skied any other ski which didn't have some obvious weakness. I suspect they will have a limit in truly deep powder, but most of us have a powder-specific ski for those conditions.

As an aside, I demoed the Stockli Stormrider 88 in similar conditions the day before I tested the Renoun Z-90s. The Renouns were equal or superior in every respect. The Renouns are much quicker edge-to edge; held better on packed and steep conditions and were much easier to initiate turns on. Both were stable.

Finally, in reading through the various online comments about the Renoun, I see some questions and comments about whether the Renoun 77 would be a better ski - particularly for eastern conditions. The Renoun Z-90 is so quick edge-to-edge that I truly can't see why most skiers would need the narrower ski. The Renoun Z-90 just does not feel like a typical "mid-fat." It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has actually skied both the 77 and 90 in eastern conditions.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
I demoed the Renoun Z-90 in a 165 length while visiting with Phil & Tricia at Northstar yesterday. Obviously, these were mounted the way Phil prefers and tuned to his specs. I'll let him weigh in on any questions about those technical details. I liked them enough that I decided to join the Forum and post this review.

Conditions: about 6" of fresh, light powder overnight that was covering powder that had fallen in the previous days. Conditions varied slightly around the mountain and throughout the day.

Me: 5'7"; 155-160 lbs; more of a smooth, technical skier than a charger, 45+ years skiing, currently 30+ days per year, mostly out west, although I live in New England.

Let me say at the outset, I have never skied any skis like these. In an all-day test, they were simply a pleasure to ski and handled every condition on the mountain. I completely agree with Phil's assessment that these are "game-changing skis." It's a shame that the price is going to restrict the market. Until you have actually skied them, it's hard to understand why we are raving about them.

On to the "test report"

Started out on powder covered groomers. Could not believe how well they performed in a variety of turns. Short-, medium-, and long-radius turns were all easy to initiate. The ski tracked well in loose powder and handled transitions between untracked and tracked powder beautifully.

Moved over to the glades. I was skiing mostly short-radius fall-line turns and again the ski tracked beautifully in the powder. They were extremely quick edge-to-edge and turns were easy to initiate. Modulating the turn radius to maneuver between trees was effortless. These skis inspire confidence. By the third run I felt very comfortable (maybe too comfortable) and was skiing as fast or faster than I usually would in trees. No complaints at all, even when I found some sun-crust below the fresh powder.

Back to the groomers, which were getting skied off. Spent some time skiing in the partially tracked edges of the trail and then out onto the trail. Again, the transitions from tracked to untracked and back were smooth. Most other skis I use throw me around a bit under these conditions. Ramped up the speed and experimented with a variety of turn radii at higher speeds. The ski transitions well from short- to long-radius turns and can handle every speed I tried (I doubt I got above 40). They felt very stable at all speeds. Transitions from long- to short-radius turns at speed did not require me to scrub speed. It's just a smooth carve. Incredible!

On steeper slopes the ski carved and held on both short-radius and long-radius fall line turns. They are rock-solid stable at speed and very quick edge-to-edge. They simply do not feel 90 wide. My racing days are a distant memory, but the Renoun Z-90s performed as well as any slalom race ski I have experienced. (I moved from Volkl SL race skis as my everyday ski to shaped skis around 2000).

Parts of the hill had some wind-blown powder, sun crust and fresh over the top of those conditions. No ski truly handles those conditions well. The Renoun Z-90 did as well as I could expect. No adverse reaction from the ski. You just know you are not skiing in loose powder anymore.

Short-radius turns in small moguls were smooth but I didn't make it onto a serious mogul run to test them.

The 165 length did not seem short to me at all. I didn't get out on the 174's to compare the two, but I was happy on the 165 length.

Like many of Phil's other testers, it looks like a pair of these is in my future. I'm hoping to get a pair out on the slopes when I'm back east and see how they perform in typical eastern conditions. I'd also like to see if I notice any significant difference between the 165 and 174 length. Overall, these skis are truly impressive. They were able to handle everything the mountain and I threw at them without any complaints. I've never skied any other ski which didn't have some obvious weakness. I suspect they will have a limit in truly deep powder, but most of us have a powder-specific ski for those conditions.

As an aside, I demoed the Stockli Stormrider 88 in similar conditions the day before I tested the Renoun Z-90s. The Renouns were equal or superior in every respect. The Renouns are much quicker edge-to edge; held better on packed and steep conditions and were much easier to initiate turns on. Both were stable.

Finally, in reading through the various online comments about the Renoun, I see some questions and comments about whether the Renoun 77 would be a better ski - particularly for eastern conditions. The Renoun Z-90 is so quick edge-to-edge that I truly can't see why most skiers would need the narrower ski. The Renoun Z-90 just does not feel like a typical "mid-fat." It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has actually skied both the 77 and 90 in eastern conditions.

Hi Mike, I enjoyed skiing with you, Phil and Steve on Sunday when you were on the SR88's. Glad you got to demo the Z90's.

Great, detailed review of the Z90. Skiers, as this review states and Phil has said these are "game changer skis". For the skeptics, you really have to ski them to believe. I've been on a lot of skis over the past 45+ skiing years and these are the best all condition/all mtn skis I have ever been on. Any turn shape, any snow condition, any speed, they just flow over the surface like Mercury, as someone else said. While not a "beginner" ski, they are very approachable by anyone with good intermediate/advanced skills. I've got 3" and 10 pounds on mike so I have been using the 174's and can state they seem to have no speed limit as I have had them in the low 50 mph range per "Ski Tracks". I'll be buying my own next week as after 4-5 days of demoing, Phil won't let me use his anymore..

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_5943.JPG

Maiden voyage

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just out of curiosity @Cyrus Schenck, I see there are Renoun demos in Australia this southern winter. The brand doesn't seem well known among my friends and acquaintances down here. Are the demos getting the interest they deserve?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just out of curiosity @Cyrus Schenck, I see there are Renoun demos in Australia this southern winter. The brand doesn't seem well known among my friends and acquaintances down here. Are the demos getting the interest they deserve?

@Cyrus Schenck is not doing demos per se but does have a very generous buy back guarantee that if the ski does not live up to your expectations, you will get a 100% refund (I assume less shipping) on your purchase. If you read the reviews here, members are drooling over them and they absolutely deserve the accolades they are getting.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmackvt

Putting on skis
Skier
From the Renoun site: "It is our pleasure to offer on-snow demos in Australia this season, exclusively at The Man From Snowy River Hotel."

Recent post. Long way for me to go to demo for a day. I skied the Z90 at Sugarbush for a couple of runs this winter, I would like to ski them for a day because of the price but I plan on buying a pair this fall based on reviews and my short time on the ski.

Cyrus Schenck

Founder of Renoun Skis
Skier
Manufacturer
Hi @cmackvt,
we sent our remaining fleet to the owners at the hotel for their season where they will likely remain until sold off.

for the upcoming 2017/18 season in the Sates, we are focusing all our effort on the 100 Day Guarantee in lieu of any on-snow demos. Logistically, it's a huge undertaking to do a proper demo program to appropriately match the demand.

anyhow, please feel free to reach out with any questions. We know it's different purchasing w/o testing first, but I will say our return rate is insanely low (1-1.5%).

Cyrus Schenck

Founder of Renoun Skis
Skier
Manufacturer
Hi Marty,
It's a bit of a tester for us down under. It's a very concentrated effort and I'd imagine the word beyond the hotel guests won't spread very far. But if it's a success, then we'll certainly look into further promotions/outreach down under. Suggestions?

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Hi @cmackvt,
we sent our remaining fleet to the owners at the hotel for their season where they will likely remain until sold off.

for the upcoming 2017/18 season in the Sates, we are focusing all our effort on the 100 Day Guarantee in lieu of any on-snow demos. Logistically, it's a huge undertaking to do a proper demo program to appropriately match the demand.

anyhow, please feel free to reach out with any questions. We know it's different purchasing w/o testing first, but I will say our return rate is insanely low (1-1.5%).

@exoticskis & I have some pairs you can perhaps try!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Hi Marty,
It's a bit of a tester for us down under. It's a very concentrated effort and I'd imagine the word beyond the hotel guests won't spread very far. But if it's a success, then we'll certainly look into further promotions/outreach down under. Suggestions?

Cyrus, have you thought about one more length in the Z-90? A 184 or 5? That'd be the ticket. Very nice skis. You guys are doing good work!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cyrus, have you thought about one more length in the Z-90? A 184 or 5? That'd be the ticket. Very nice skis. You guys are doing good work!
Since he is running 6cm incerments, a 186cm Z90? I doubt he would sell 10 of them, hardly enough for the cost of the mold.

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi Marty,
Perisher Snow Riders group on Facebook to spread the word beyond the hotel guests?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi Marty,
You could send @Philpug to the Southern Hemisphere. He knows how to get the word out. :D

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Thanks for the offer but I think I'm just going to buy a pair this fall.

You can't go wrong!

What mode are u thinking? I've skied em all @ this point & it comes down to what / where you ski in Vermont:)

cmackvt

Putting on skis
Skier
I spend most time at Killington or Pico since my office was moved to Rutland. I used to have a pass at Sugarbush or Mad River. I'll ski Sugarbush on the Mountain Collective this year. I don't spend a lot of time on groomed trails if we have decent snow coverage.

I plan on making at least one trip to Utah. Maybe a road trip so I can hit Colorado and Wyoming on the same trip.

I plan on getting the 174 Z90 even though the site recommends a smaller ski. I bought a Look Pivot 12 to put on them.

I usually ski the 173 Bonafide but use a 175 Q105 when there is fresh snow. My backcountry ski is a 178. So I demoed the 174 Z90 for a few runs and thought it was very, very quick so I don't think I'd be comfortable going shorter. I am 5'8"', 151 lbs. I weighed 175 when I skied the Z90 this winter. I could wait and ski the 165 but that would just be another excuse to delay spending more money on a ski than I ever thought I would.

Sponsor

Staff online