• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

It's official #26isdead

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
XXL 29er with 210mm travel?!?! I'd like to see that thing next to a horse for comparison.

Heh..bike companies will have to branch out into step-stools so you can mount your steed!! Kinda like me on a Honda CRF-450..

I have a funny feeling 26 will be resurrected one day like Haysus on Easter...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There was a great video floating around last year with a bunch of pros talking about wheel size. There was so much talk about 27.5 being "fun". Tracey Mosely summed things up nicely when she said "For me, fast is still fun, so I've been on the 29er for several years."

Now we have the whole "plus" thing going on, and personally, I'm thinking that "almost plus" (29 x 2.5 or 2.6) might end up being my sweet spot for training and trail riding.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
good point. i am looking forward to getting time on some "mid-fats" later this summer but in my conversations with those who have spent time on various widths, that 2.5- 2.6 may just be the best overall mix. I am more interested in the difference in climbing. maybe @Josh Matta and/or @epic can chime in? No dis' to others who have time and can contribute.

I see Schwalbe just released a couple 2.6's RR's and NN's.

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I have a funny feeling 26 will be resurrected one day like Haysus on Easter...

I still have a IBIS SL for sale .......
ibis sl.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
29ers are invading World Cup Downhill big time this season.

I just donated my last 26er tubes to a local Bikes for Kids charity.

Otherwise, they would just eventually turn to dust in the bike cabinet.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
*sigh*

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Fine with me.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I still have a IBIS SL for sale ....... View attachment 22931

that bike was out dated prior to you buying it......

The thing is I would bet anyone that this year more DH race will be won by 29er than not 29er....

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I might take you up on that. Unless Rachel Atherton goes 29er, the all (the res) of the women's races will be won by a 29er and that will skew the results.

MT Skull

Look at me, I can ski with my feet together!
Skier
I just destroyed my 26" front wheel; a 2007 xtr ust disc front. Total pain in ass to find a replacement, but now trying to decide between a repacement xtr new for $177, or a new easton haven for $360. Leaning towards the haven for the wider tire options, and because I already upgraded the rear wheel to a haven 5 years ago.

2007 stumpy fsr. Still going strong, but owes me nothing, and in some ways think the frame would be doing me a favor by breaking soon...

Sponsor

Staff online