• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

It's official #26isdead

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
a model T will still get you to work.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I see that you also have auto-correct. I had to type Commencal so many times in the original post!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Hmm, would match my truck nicely..... and as a little guy, I will stick with 26":)

if you are interested, PM me, Its going up for sale on CL next week. Interestingly, I noticed a resurgence in folks running 26'rs again with wide wheelsets and loving them....

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Surely some creative person could create a sculpture with all the free 26" MTBs and 35m GS skies out there....

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
how wide of a tire fits on your Ibis ron?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Why aren't all bike parts (particularly wheels) measured in metric sizes? Pretty sure none of the actual components are made in the US out of US materials.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Why aren't all bike parts (particularly wheels) measured in metric sizes? Pretty sure none of the actual components are made in the US out of US materials.
Most are (in metric), all the road bikes.

Mountain bike is an American invention. So it shows its heritage.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Mountain bike measurements are a mystery to me. I swear I've had to use both metric and US allen wrenches on various parts over the years. Travel is sometimes measured in inches, sometimes in millimeters. Measuring the width of a tire in decimal point inches also seems weird. Where the hell else do you see something like "2.6 inches"? No. That would be 2 3/5 inches if you were measuring anything else.

:huh:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I predict in 20 years wheels will be closer to 20". They'll build frames extended down to provide adequate crankshaft and crank case clearance and still pretty decent travel with smaller wheels selling it on the notion that axles closer to the ground equals a lower, more optimal COG for the bike. Lowering the hub of the gyroscope produced by the wheels would do that too..

These folks went all in on the niners too LOL..
3BIKS875.GIF

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
There is a lot of history with bikes. Every country historically has had their own "standard". Italian BB's, French BB's..English. For a long while Britain produced massive amounts of bikes for the whole world. And they were imperial in those days and those sizes just kind of live on their own for a long time. 27 1/4" vs 700C. Ostensibly the same thing..but not. BB's..close but not quite. After Britain's manufacturing industry failed due to rising costs (or perhaps lower costs elsewhere..) other standards start to creep in. Japanese standard existed and still lives on. Now they have new standards for integrated headsets and cassette widths. The 27.5" MTB wheel is just an reused old 650B French size. And...the US is the only country in the world still using Imperial of course... :D

Sorry..don't want to sell you short..Liberia, Myanmar AND the US still use Imperial..

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
[QUOTE="scott43]. And...the US is the only country in the world still using Imperial of course... :D

Sorry..don't want to sell you short..Liberia, Myanmar AND the US still use Imperial..[/QUOTE]

Hey at least the US isn't properly schizophrenic. I'll buy my milk and beer in proper full size pints but my fuel in litres please and I'll grab a 500g tub of butter before I hop in my car to drive miles, measuring my fuel consumption in mpg. Having a 20 inch MTB and a 63 cm road bike in the garage is perfectly normal by these standards.

Sponsor