• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is Manual Clutch Now Officially "Retro"?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Watching Indy.. seeing that none of the cars have manual clutches anymore. I realize there are other race leagues with different set ups, but is this a view of what is to come across all racing segments? It's already difficult to get true manual transmissions in most consumer new vehicle lines although I see Subaru has brought back manual in greater numbers than recent previous year models. Other than NASCAR and lower budget DIY race leagues, is manual clutch pretty much gone?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We call the manual transmission the "Millenial Anti Theft Device". For Indy and F1, the manual transmission in long gone..well actually the manual clutch is long gone, these are manual transmissions with automatic clutches, it least in F1, I assume Indy too, I will let those who follow raacing mroe can chime in. Subaru isn't adding sticks, they are just not going away as fast as most, no more sticks in Legacy & Outbacks in current form, last seen in 2014. Sadly, manufacturers, for some reason think that manual transmission drivers are just value minded on only offer sticks inthe most base trim of models..if even available at all. I would still drive a good automatic than a bad stick.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I think gas prices are a factor where manual stick usually has one more gear and better gas mileage when driven optimally. When gas is cheaper than water most folks would probably prefer the automatic unless majorly different performance wise.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think gas prices are a factor where manual stick usually has one more gear and better gas mileage when driven optimally. When gas is cheaper than water most folks would probably prefer the automatic unless majorly different performance wise.
In most cases the new automatics (up to 8 and 10 speeds) are smarter and more economical than ever. Sticks really have nothing to do with ecomony any more, but more for the driving experience.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My 2008 Outback has a stick. I love having a stick in minimal traffic, and I do feel like it adds to my ability to control traction in snow and ice, especially starting from a stop. But - given the choices available, I'm sure my next car will be automatic. And I'll miss the feel of shifting, but I'll appreciate not having to fuss with it on that long uphill to the Eisenhower Tunnel. Maybe it will mean that I'll ride my motorcycle more to feel like I'm "really" driving.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Well for the upper tiers of racing, they're using DSG/seamless type boxes because it saves time and doesn't interrupt the drive out of corners. Personally, I will miss true manuals..they certainly do involve you in the car more.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I only miss manual during the 10-12% of drive time when I'm not in slow moving traffic, not eating, not juggling an MP3 player, and not on a boring stretch of interstate with the cruise control on. Times I really miss having a manual are also the times I kind of wish I was on a motorcycle.

Give me a standard for my muscle car, roadster, convertible, but definitely not for my ski trip/camping/beach trip long haul family car.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Wait - never mind clutches- you still use an MP3 player ?
Yep, HATE Apple's anal device to device copy protocols. Got my music on phones, MP3 players, hard drives, all over the house and can even put copies on friends devices (temporarily) with zero restrictions or special procedures, just drag and drop or touch and click. And, no we don't download illegally or give away illegally. We buy the music, but in a format that is easier to move around from non apple devise to either apple or non apple devices.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
to an extent, I don't understand the mystique with a manual transmissions for the sake of a manual transmission. I love them, good ones, in the right car, like my Miata and even in the Jetta Sportwagen. There is a thead over on VWVortex about a mid 90's Chevy Suburban with a stick. No way in hell would I want to drive that. Ever drive a Mercedes manual transmission? As good as their automatics are, their sticks are that bad.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
i really enjoy the manual in my Subaru Impreza. My wife has essentially the same car with an automatic. She switched the car before this when she could not get a manual, and that first one was nearly undriveable. The one she has now (a modern CVT automatic) is actually acceptable. And if we expect a lot of stop and go traffic, we take her car.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Autos are creeping into the class 8 trucks there by lowering overhead costs. Unfortunately also lowering skill levels of the professional driver.
18.jpg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Wait - never mind clutches- you still use an MP3 player ?

MVC-671S.JPG

Not only does my car have the Millennia Anti-Theft Device, it comes equipped with the factory Theft-Proof Cassette Deck. I did upgrade the speakers though. I mostly drive it on sunny days so I rarely use the T-roofs.

My 1991 one owner, Dodge 4X4 pickup with 5 speed manual transmission is nicely matched to a 5.9L Cummins diesel. Auto transmission back then was a 3 speed.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
View attachment 9790

Not only does my car have the Millennia Anti-Theft Device, it comes equipped with the factory Theft-Proof Cassette Deck. I did upgrade the speakers though. I mostly drive it on sunny days so I rarely use the T-roofs.

My 1991 one owner, Dodge 4X4 pickup with 5 speed manual transmission is nicely matched to a 5.9L Cummins diesel. Auto transmission back then was a 3 speed.

I used these all through the late 90s and early 00s..
91WBmv1GAcL._SL1500_.jpg

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
In most cases the new automatics (up to 8 and 10 speeds) are smarter and more economical than ever. Sticks really have nothing to do with ecomony any more, but more for the driving experience.

And just wait till you need to replace one of those 8sd autos out of warranty :eek:

Most in the sport segment will continue to offer a manual gearbox (for now), yes some want the tecno-geekery of the DCT and push buttons, but me I want to be involved and make choices myself, not have the car (or gov't) doing it. I don't even much car for the close ratio 6+ speed manual boxes. With todays engine management systems and twin scroll turbos, a 5sd wide ratio box with a true OD is even overkill with torque curves flat as Kansas from 2k to 6k.

To each their own, so long as ONE manufacturer makes something I can live with....and who knows what will be out there in 2022, when my next car will be due. I weep for the future...

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I can't remember the last time I had to replace an automatic transmission. In the past 10+ vehicles my family's owned I've replaced a hydralic manual VW clutch and had to trade in a Nissan Sentra 5 speed when that fried. My neighbor/dad's best friend bought an AAMCO franchise in 1997. Turned out to be a HUGE mistake because automatic trannys had started getting a whole lot more reliable in the mid 90s. Hardly even have to change the fluid in them these days, kind of like how Midas had to exit the muffler and exhaust business and move in to brakes when the steel and workmanship got better in exhaust components.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^My point zactly thank you!

Sponsor

Staff online